• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ingenuity flies on Mars

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And finished with "But America does love its guns, so there is that....."
It's all part of the same mentality, that violence and force is the same as being strong and free. Big guns, and all that love of the illusion of strength. I have no problem with a well equipped military to perform its job for the country. But, just like American has the largest military budget of all nations by a long stretch, we also have the world's largest gun collection going on. We have a thing for the image of strength as the threat of violent force as part of the American psyche. It's a religious obsession sort of thing. That's not true strength.

So, yeah, downsizing the military? That's unAmerican, isn't it?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Polymath257 .....What in interesting turn this thread has had already.....instead of being impressed with the science, technology and dollars it has cost to say that they flew a drone on another planet for 40 seconds o_O....some have expressed that it is a waste of money and human ingenuity which could have been better spent here on Earth fixing the many things that are under threat on this planet right now.

We are looking at the dire conditions of life for many species (including man) here, and fail to see the benefits of such a mission in the bigger picture at this point in time.....but isn't this so typical of man? All the "firsts" are recorded for posterity and the accolades that accompany them are heralded for decades to come, and this somehow gets to prioritize how funds are spent on excursions like this, when our own planet is under threat. I can think of so many other ways that the money, time and expertise could be used.

What does this tell us about humankind? Where are their priorities? Of what practical benefit is an unmanned space excursion costing billions of dollars, when failing economies all over the world need help? How does the enormous debt of the world's nations warrant such an expenditure at this juncture? Is it any wonder that we are in the situation we are experiencing at present?

Please tell us how it helps anyone but the egos of those who sit there smiling at their amazing accomplishment, whilst the rest of the world, outside their bubble, are barely holding body and soul together....? Can you understand why some are not impressed? :(

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"No. We won't ever have a significant population on Mars. That isn't the point."

What its the point?
To see if life once existed? To see if it was once like earth? To see what happened to it if it was?

We keep it up and we will have earth in the same shape of mars. Take care of and fix the problems with what we have.
Space exploration and tech is crucial for resources and travel in the future.

Looking for life is also one of our fundamental questions so it's always money well spent imo.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Polymath257 .....What in interesting turn this thread has had already.....instead of being impressed with the science, technology and dollars it has cost to say that they flew a drone on another planet for 40 seconds o_O....some have expressed that it is a waste of money and human ingenuity which could have been better spent here on Earth fixing the many things that are under threat on this planet right now.

We are looking at the dire conditions of life for many species (including man) here, and fail to see the benefits of such a mission in the bigger picture at this point in time.....but isn't this so typical of man? All the "firsts" are recorded for posterity and the accolades that accompany them are heralded for decades to come, and this somehow gets to prioritize how funds are spent on excursions like this, when our own planet is under threat. I can think of so many other ways that the money, time and expertise could be used.

What does this tell us about humankind? Where are their priorities? Of what practical benefit is an unmanned space excursion costing billions of dollars, when failing economies all over the world need help? How does the enormous debt of the world's nations warrant such an expenditure at this juncture? Is it any wonder that we are in the situation we are experiencing at present?

Please tell us how it helps anyone but the egos of those who sit there smiling at their amazing accomplishment, whilst the rest of the world, outside their bubble, are barely holding body and soul together....? Can you understand why some are not impressed? :(
It's interesting enuf to be worth the money.

Suave

Simulated character
Saw that this morning. While its kind of cool, Its not impressing to me.

On earth about 57% of land is considered uninhabitable. That's around 33% desert and around 24% mountainous.

If we can't inhabited that we aren't going to inhabit Mars.

Not to mention all that's $$$ being spent could go toward feeding the hungry and housing the homeless.

That's me though.
N.A.S.A.,'s spending accounts for only 0.5 percent of overall federal spending. I.m.o., a reasonable amount of spending towards humans being a multi-planetary species thereby eluding existential threats of being a single planetary species.

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Really. How many people can say they lived long enough to see the actual surface of another planet?

Personally I feel privileged and honored we live in a time where I got to share that experience.
How do you know it wasn't shot in a movie studio?
happy0195.gif

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Really. How many people can say they lived long enough to see the actual surface of another planet?

Personally I feel privileged and honored we live in a time where I got to share that experience.
Certainly a much better value than so many other government
ventures, eg, Vietnam War, Afghanistan War, Iraq War, Iraq War.

Suave

Simulated character

Unmanned space exploration might pave the way towards human colonization of space beyond Earth whereby there are humans being a multi-planetary species eluding the existential threats of being totally reliant upon precious Earth.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Like this? Lol

We have such realism in our movies these days......who could tell the difference?

Nice to see him being torn limb from limb wasn't it?....sad that the public demands this level of gratuitous violence.
indifferent0025.gif
Good grief! What are we turning into? :facepalm: