• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indigo children.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Well I'm not entirely sure about the aura and the "labels" such as OCD etc. but I don't doubt that children can be born bringing with them karma from a previous life and a mentality to continue with similar traits. For example, someone who was very spiritual in a previous life can be reborn as a child who is more interested in spiritual matters.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Indigo children exist. They are special but no more special than any child, different in ways but really no more different than any child.

Generally indigo children trust themselves more than adults because, even at a young age, they can easily see that adults are controlled by selfishness, have power control issues, and are too easily addicted to things (smoking, alcohol, drugs, food, sex, work...) that they use to cope with life.

Adults also form barriers (religious, country, state, county) where there should be none and they join groups (religious, sports...) to get a sense of betterment and belonging when they should feel this way without having to join a group.

Indigo children have a very mature sense of what is truly right and wrong and because of their inherent mistrust of adults indigo children tend to be very independant. They would rather volunteer at a homeless shelter than go to Disneyland. They would rather plant a garden than just about anything. Generally they are more interested in art and music than most other children and have a sense of spiritualness that, to them, is overpowering.

Some of them absolutely "know" they are the child of God. Sometimes the parents of these children feel like there is an invisible wall between them and their child, because there is.

If you want to try to understand them, get out of your comfortable group and instead choose to see everything as one big group, stop abusing substances, stop worrying about things that truly don't matter to the universe, and relax in a lawn chair and enjoy the sunset with a smile.

Master Vigil

I have counseled a few "indigo children". One of which truly was "special" and understood and saw the spirit world in great detail (we had GREAT conversations). And she was 5.

The other's were mostly ADD, ADHD, Autistic, or just plain imaginative. That doesn't mean that they weren't "spiritually" in tuned. But I believe ALL children are. So it is a label that parents like better than the scientific "disease-like" terms that the doctors use. But it is again, just a label.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Sounds like more religious quackery to emotionally and psychologically harm children.

I've read much of the book and as far as I see, there's no intention of this at all!

As for Indigo children, I see it as an attempt to label a gradual spiritual awakening occuring independant of outside influence.

I'd like to point out, that this person says that these children are indigo - a different person may see a different colour - but that doesn't change the ideas in the book.

Random

Whatever about the colour of their auras, I do believe that many young children can display great psychic sensitivity, which might indicate potential for the kinds of self-realization and awakening that leads to heightened awarenesses and power.

Romulus

Aspiring Writer
I'm not saying that there's no way a child can be especially in tune spiritually, but most "indigo Children" seem to be arrogant, spoiled kids. That doesn't seem very mature... Although I'm sure plenty of kids with that label are not nasty, a lot of the typical descriptions don't convince me.

My critism doens't lie with a lack of empircal evidence or anything, just that many of the children described would be considered mean or anti-social in some way if they weren't identified in the group.

Like I said before, though, I do think some people are more open/creative/spiritual/etc depending on a variety factors.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I don't know where you got this idea from but Indigo children are not arrogant. They see life as being an equal and integral part of the universe.

If there is any arrogance at all from them then it is because selfish humans are trying to force these Indigo children into doing things they don't want to do, like compete, or detach themselves from art, music, spiritualness, or nature. It's not going to happen. You cannot control them. They will not listen to you. You are like a blind man trying to tell them about colors.

Romulus

Aspiring Writer
Well I agree with you that it would be frustrating to be forced to not utilize your gifts for a higher purpose, but the sites I've read seem to portray them as considering themselves better and taking pride in it to the point that don't obey their parents. I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just that the things I've read don't portray them as nice people.

Somkid

Sounds like the average global child to me, the person who came up with this concept needs to get out more often and see the world where not all children go to school and shoot people and are happy to share their lunch with someone that has none. I never see children acting out in ignorance against others where I live nor do my children suffer any kind of abuse from anyone and they are different (being half Thai and half Caucasian) if anything it peaks interest about another culture. I think having the concept of "Indigo children" is just another barrier to try to get across, perhaps the children are better off with out we adults giving them advice about what they should think and believe and let them develop in their natural loving state, ahh Zen....

Super Universe

Defender of God
Well I agree with you that it would be frustrating to be forced to not utilize your gifts for a higher purpose, but the sites I've read seem to portray them as considering themselves better and taking pride in it to the point that don't obey their parents. I'm not trying to start an argument, it's just that the things I've read don't portray them as nice people.

What would the writers of the things you've read know about these children? Think of it this way, what if a young Jesus met up with the Pope and had a discussion? Certainly the Pope would feel that the child was arrogant, right? When all along it's the Pope who is the most arrogant of all.

No one can "force" Indigo children to not use their gifts. The connection is unseverable, at least, by humans. Their view is not as clouded as yours is.

They don't see themselves as better, just different. They won't obey their parents if their parents are immature beings who attempt to cloud their children's minds with uneducated and unevolved thought. If their parents are racists the children will shut them off. If their parents attempt to fill their heads with the ideas that God punishes, tempts, becomes angry, is bitter, or jealous, they will ignore it. If their parents smoke, use alcohol, use drugs, have food or sex addictions, the Indigo child will not respect them. You cannot make them be just like you. It won't happen.

Indigo children aren't here to be "nice" to you. They're here to be themselves whether you like it or not. You don't have to be threatened by them unless you choose to be.

My advice is to watch them carefully. Watch how they interact with nature, with music, and with art and you will come to realize that your priorities have been all wrong.

Here is a child who just might be an Indigo. She certainly meets all the criteria but I am not qualified to say who she is.

Akiane: child prodigy, artist, poet. Purchase Paintings and Prints direct from Akiane

She says "I have been blessed by God. And if I'm blessed, there is one reason and one reason only, that is to help others".

Now, who says that is arrogant?

Romulus

Aspiring Writer
What would the writers of the things you've read know about these children? Think of it this way, what if a young Jesus met up with the Pope and had a discussion? Certainly the Pope would feel that the child was arrogant, right? When all along it's the Pope who is the most arrogant of all.

I see what you mean here: Jesus was definitely regarded that way by most of the religious officials of his time.

They don't see themselves as better, just different. They won't obey their parents if their parents are immature beings who attempt to cloud their children's minds with uneducated and unevolved thought . . . Indigo children aren't here to be "nice" to you. They're here to be themselves whether you like it or not. You don't have to be threatened by them unless you choose to be . . . Here is a child who just might be an Indigo...
She says "I have been blessed by God. And if I'm blessed, there is one reason and one reason only, that is to help others".

Now, who says that is arrogant?

Well I have to admit, if anyone's an Indigo Child, it's certainly that girl--and with out a doubt she is a gifted genus, and spiritually inclined (and a lot more modest than most people, gifted or not).

I think I get the impression that they're brats because of the descriptions coming from people that seem to consider every child with a large ego, some amount of talent, or a learning disability above the rest of humanity. Akaine's website offers an insight that I've never been privy to because I've never actually come across things written by one of the children themselves. If this is the type of person that you consider special, then I agree with you.

I don't know that I believe in Indigo Children exactly as they are defined, but as I think I said in a previous post, I do believe that some people have gifts. That's not to say that I'm not open to this type of thing, though. Some of my doubts may come from my opinion that everyone is exceptional in some way, but people are exposed to different opportunities to develop it/have varying levels of it.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I don't believe the word "ego" fits them at all. They know who they are, and to many others who don't that is egotistic but these Indigo children are not full of themselves. They just "are" themselves and won't change to suit what someone else thinks they should be.

Also, I wouldn't say that Indigo children have above average learning abilities. Ask Akiane to explain String Theory to you and you just might get a blank stare. We all have things that we are good at and things that we are not. These children are no different. What they do have is an enlightened sense of spirit that often manifests itself in a passion for art or music, nature, or some combination of all three. You see, there is more evidence of God in these things than in all of the religious books combined.

I absolutely consider Akiane special but so is the child with Down's Syndrome.

Try not to group things, try not to separate people, too often it leads you to qualify one as being "better" when it's not.

Is sunshine better than rain? Not if you have a field of corn that is dying of thirst.

Romulus

Aspiring Writer
I don't believe the word "ego" fits them at all. They know who they are, and to many others who don't that is egotistic but these Indigo children are not full of themselves. They just "are" themselves and won't change to suit what someone else thinks they should be.

Um, I thought I made it clear that that was my opinion based on second hand sources that I didn’t consider very reliable:

[COLOR=black said:
Romulus[/color];1133377]
I think I get the impression that they're brats because of the descriptions coming from people that seem to consider every child with a large ego, some amount of talent, or a learning disability above the rest of humanity. Akaine's website offers an insight that I've never been privyto because I've never actually come across things written by one of the children themselves. If this is the type of person that you consider special, then I agree with you.

I have a different view after seeing her website than I would after seeing the account of the avatar kid on the Wikipedia page, for example.

Also, I wouldn't say that Indigo children have above average learning abilities. Ask Akiane to explain String Theory to you and you just might get a blank stare. We all have things that we are good at and things that we are not. These children are no different. What they do have is an enlightened sense of spirit that often manifests itself in a passion for art or music, nature, or some combination of all three. You see, there is more evidence of God in these things than in all of the religious books combined.

Yes, but they appear to be prodigies, don’t they? It reminds me of how the classical composers wrote symphonies before they were in their double-digits. Have you heard of the theory of special/multiple intelligences? It says that intelligence (as in the kind you might detect with an IQ test) is not the only way to look at people—that areas such art, music, kinesthetic, mathematics, language, other forms of creativity, etc. should also be taken seriously. I like that it tends to see people more as people than test scores.

Once again, I’m not saying that I disagree that these children possess great gifts/have developed them in a more visible way, and furthermore I would agree that a spiritual connection to the divine may be possible. I just don’t have the same enthusiasm for this particular phenomenon as some people define it.

For example, as a Catholic, I believe in miracles, but that doesn’t mean I believe every Virgin Mary Toast Slice or Bank Window Showing Jesus is real—although I would also argue that just because something has a natural explanation does not preclude it from being miraculous, but I digress...

Just because I can be skeptical about some things doesn’t mean I think they’re impossible. I’m sorry if I offended you in any way.

I absolutely consider Akiane special but so is the child with Down's Syndrome.

Agreed.

Try not to group things, try not to separate people, too often it leads you to qualify one as being "better" when it's not.

Is sunshine better than rain? Not if you have a field of corn that is dying of thirst.

I apologize if I came off that way, but I was actually aiming for the opposite:

R[COLOR=black said:
omulus[/color];1133377]
Some of my doubts may come from my opinion that everyone is exceptional in some way, but people are exposed to different opportunities to develop it/have varying levels of it.

Because, if you remember, the accounts I had read in the past played it up as the children being rightfully superior to normal people. Now, I’m not saying that they don’t excel in areas, but they’re still human. I’m not sure how you could think that I was trying to group people into a hierarchy—in fact, I had gotten that impression from the stories that portrayed them as more cocky than confident. (And yes, I know that when you say "They know who they are" you don't mean egotistical, it's just that the much of the other information I had been exposed to seemed to infer a nobel arrogance rather than a sense of purpose.)