• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In your belief and understanding

RestlessSoul

Pretty much, since it mostly explains what happens with regards our perceptions and beliefs - even if such (understanding) is an ongoing project.
Not really - I do tend to own whatever occurs. And understanding the process often explains such - so plaudits to science and all allied areas.
All of one's existence is "I", and cannot be otherwise, to me at least, given we are born into whatever shell we find ourselves, and we own whatever happens. I think the "I" is a product of our mind processes and nothing more, much like what occurs in most other lifeforms.

But you are not alone in the universe, surely? And you did not, presumably, create the universe. There are, at the very least, other conscious beings, other entities, other life forms, of which you and I are but two. So what is it that connects us, to each other and to the world? If there is the world within us, and the world without, what brings the worlds together, what fills the space between? And what, collectively, do all these fragments of consciousness constitute?

74x12

What is the soul?
When a person leave this physical existence, how is ot possible to see the soul leaving the body?
(Yes I have seen it my self)
The soul is your conscousness. It's you basically. I think therefore I am. You also have a spirit body; that is maybe you what you saw. I have no idea what you saw.

firedragon

Veteran Member
What is the soul?
When a person leave this physical existence, how is ot possible to see the soul leaving the body?

I dont know about seeing a soul leaving. But soul maybe in very basic levels be understood as that thing that differentiates dead things and living things. I am not talking about tissue, or what some people would call "living tissue". I am talking about a living being. But this is a very basic idea based on a child given a rooh at some point. So when a soul is given, that's when a foetus comes alive.

On top of this there are 1000 tons of discussions by theologians, philosophers, scientists, etc.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I dont know about seeing a soul leaving. But soul maybe in very basic levels be understood as that thing that differentiates dead things and living things. I am not talking about tissue, or what some people would call "living tissue". I am talking about a living being. But this is a very basic idea based on a child given a rooh at some point. So when a soul is given, that's when a foetus comes alive.

On top of this there are 1000 tons of discussions by theologians, philosophers, scientists, etc.
What I saw could maybe have been something other than sould, but my understanding was and still is that it was the true being of my dad leaving the body

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You'll probably not be surprised (ex Buddhist and all that) that I do not consider persisting souls to be a thing. :)
You might be surprised that I (lover of the Divine Mystery) do not consider persisting souls to be a real thing:)

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
But you are not alone in the universe, surely? And you did not, presumably, create the universe. There are, at the very least, other conscious beings, other entities, other life forms, of which you and I are but two. So what is it that connects us, to each other and to the world? If there is the world within us, and the world without, what brings the worlds together, what fills the space between? And what, collectively, do all these fragments of consciousness constitute?
Just individual consciousness in my view, and they mean nothing to me unless I might interact with them in some way. Which is what we all tend to do. I was born as an individual and will die as one, regardless of all other people and their consciousness. We can interact with others, perhaps have some impact, and might be remembered but that is about it. I tend to the view that consciousness is just the result of mind processes - given that we evolved and are related to other life, and see much of such life having similar if different consciousness as humans. A lot easier and less problematical thinking this way than anything else, in my view.

PearlSeeker

What is the soul?
I don't know. I just know that some esoteric teachings say that we have many bodies (not just chemical/physical), for example the astral/etheric body.

InvestigateTruth

What is the soul?
In Bahai Faith, we don't believe the Soul is of material. It does not really have location. It is like saying love is in the heart. But if you open anyone's heart, love is not physically inside it. The soul is not really inside the body. But it is like image of the Sun in a mirror. The soul's attributes are manifested from the body. Soul being Sun, and body being mirror. While, body is alive, the soul image is in the body. Once body dies, soul continues to live on. It just no longer envolves with the body.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is the soul?

I see it may be possible for us to experience a vision of another soul.

There is a story of two devoted Baha'i in Akka that were up waiting to see Baha'u'llah walk by, this time they decided to follow him, but remain Some distance behind.

I will share it, it may be of interest.

The link follows and this was taken from the section "The Arrival of Bahá'u'lláh at Bahjí".

"....On the evening that the Blessed Beauty, exalted be His glory, was to move to the Mansion of Bahjí, this servant and Nabíl-i-A'zam were staying at our residence, which was a room we both shared. It was situated on the upper floor of the Khán-i-Súq-i-Abyad. The room had five glass windows overlooking the road. We were both sitting at the windows looking out, waiting to behold His blessed Person as He passed by. It was nearly two hours after sunset, when we saw Him pass in front of our room riding on a special white donkey. A few steps behind Him, riding on, his donkey, was Khádimu'lláh (the Servant of God) Mírzá Áqá Ján. When He passed out of our sight, Nabíl suggested that we follow Him on foot to the Mansion to circumambulate it and then return home. With much enthusiasm I welcomed the suggestion. We both ran down the stairs immediately and walked quickly behind Him, keeping a distance of about fifty steps. That evening an oil lamp was burning inside the Mansion and we could see its light from outside. It was a very large oil lamp which had three wicks. I was familiar with this lamp because we {Hájí Muhammad Táhir and Muhammad Khán-i-Balúch} had brought it with us to the Holy Land. It was presented to the Blessed Beauty by Hájí Siyyid Mírzáy-i-Afnán from Bombay. When the Blessed Perfection dismounted and went inside the Mansion, we walked toward the building in order to circumambulate. But when we came a little closer we saw to our amazement that the footpaths around the walls of the Mansion were packed with people, who were standing. Crowds had assembled around the four sides of the Mansion and we could hear their murmuring as well as their breathing. Of course we knew that no one had come from 'Akká to circumambulate the Mansion, and we two had gone there without permission. Anyhow, since there was no room to walk on the footpath we stepped back, and at a distance of about thirty steps from the Mansion we circumambulated. To do this we had to walk in some wheatfields and, as it happened, the ground had been recently watered, so we had to walk through muddy fields. As we circled the Mansion we could sense the presence of the multitude on the four sides of the building at some distance from us. In the end we prostrated ourselves on the ground opposite the Gate of the Mansion, and returned to 'Akká. On the way back heavy rain poured down on us, and just as we arrived at the gate of 'Akká, the guards were about to close it. Normally they used to close the gate every night four hours after sunset..."

The Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh, Volume 4, Chapter 7

What they saw were not people that were alive in this world.

Regards Tony

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I had to watch my mother die and did not notice any soul departing her body. As a matter of fact she seemed like she was sleeping when she past.

To me the soul is your true identity beyond whatever conceptions we make of ourselves. We are subjects of experiences. The "I" and the personality associated with it is the soul. I think the only reason I know anyone else is alive is because the soul is animated in the physical body. It's a mystery to me.

DKH

What is the soul?

It is my opinion that the soul is the inner workings of an enclosed unit called the body, which all physical life has. It is also my opinion that when this enclosed unit dies or ceases to function it (eventually) decomposes. The idea that the soul leaves the body and exists somewhere else is a manmade concept and is not supported by science or the bible. However, all humans do have a "record" of their existence, which the Supreme Being has declared to be collected.

TreeOfLife

It is amazing that in the at death or post death experience that we have both the physical and the scriptural evidence to objectively have proof.
With that said. I believe in Body, Soul, and Spirit.
The soul being the bodies essence, personality, sum of knowledge, etc
With that the spirit is made the righteousness before God as in 2 Cor 5:21.
The atonement gives us all that God wants for His children. As every parent loves their children more than the child loves their parent God in John 3:16 gave us all He has.