• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In your belief and understanding

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I don't believe in the existence of a soul in the traditional sense, I do recognize a subtle body that is bound to this reality through desire and attachment.

In answer to your second question, in my experience, this subtle body isn't visually perceptible. The mind sees what it wants to see.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
While I don't believe in the existence of a soul in the traditional sense, I do recognize a subtle body that is bound to this reality through desire and attachment.

In answer to your second question, in my experience, this subtle body isn't visually perceptible. The mind sees what it wants to see.
For me when I saw my fathers soul i was not looking for it or expecting to see it. It was just there, I was not alone seeing it

RestlessSoul

For me when I saw my fathers soul i was not looking for it or expecting to see it. It was just there, I was not alone seeing it

Whilst I have not seen a soul leaving a body, the first time I saw a dead body I was struck by a palpable absence. It seemed clear at the time that whatever had once animated the living body, had now left it. The difference between a living body and a dead one, is quite unlike turning off a car engine, for example.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Ah, souls - you'll perhaps know why I don't believe in such - given that personality and character tend to account for much - as in overlap. :oops:

Witness for the prosecution: Produce one - and anecdotal evidence will not be admissible. :oops:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Whilst I have not seen a soul leaving a body, the first time I saw a dead body I was struck by a palpable absence. It seemed clear at the time that whatever had once animated the living body, had now left it. The difference between a living body and a dead one, is quite unlike turning off a car engine, for example.
Yes, the body suddenly become just cells with no life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ah, souls - you'll perhaps know why I don't believe in such - given that personality and character tend to account for much - as in overlap. :oops:

Witness for the prosecution: Produce one - and anecdotal evidence will not be admissible. :oops:
I think one has to experience it to believe it fully :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I actually experienced this transition from presence to absence watching my kid die. Her body was still alive, but she was clearly gone.

RestlessSoul

Do you think mind and body are sufficient to define you, in your entirety? When you observe your own thoughts, instincts, fears and reactions, is there not a distinction between the observer, and the observed? So, if I am not my thoughts, then what am I? What is the "I" that calls myself me?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What is the soul?
When a person leave this physical existence, how is ot possible to see the soul leaving the body?
(Yes I have seen it my self)

a soul is to be found in a person. it doesn't exist after/apart from the person. the spirit does. a soul is created. a spirit is not.

in both the ot and nt, there is a reference to a soul or a spirit but they aren't the same thing.

so some believe the soul goes to heaven, persons do not. the body remains on earth; so there is no longer a person but only a spirit remaining. you are a spirit having a soul experience. you are not a soul having a spiritual experience.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Do you think mind and body are sufficient to define you, in your entirety?
Pretty much, since it mostly explains what happens with regards our perceptions and beliefs - even if such (understanding) is an ongoing project.
When you observe your own thoughts, instincts, fears and reactions, is there not a distinction between the observer, and the observed?
Not really - I do tend to own whatever occurs. And understanding the process often explains such - so plaudits to science and all allied areas.
So, if I am not my thoughts, then what am I? What is the "I" that calls myself me?
All of one's existence is "I", and cannot be otherwise, to me at least, given we are born into whatever shell we find ourselves, and we own whatever happens. I think the "I" is a product of our mind processes and nothing more, much like what occurs in most other lifeforms.