• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In search of eco friendly clothing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my spiritual transformation prosess i am looking for somewhere to buy eco friendly clothing. Or clothing that suit a minimalistic lifestyle. But it seems like i get stuck :p any good ideas?
I been looking in to clothing made of hemp, but i dont know if it is good quality?

I do believe i am getting my life toward what i been searching for all this years, but still i have a good part of my life that have to be changed :)

MNoBody

In my spiritual transformation prosess i am looking for somewhere to buy eco friendly clothing. Or clothing that suit a minimalistic lifestyle. But it seems like i get stuck :p any good ideas?
I been looking in to clothing made of hemp, but i dont know if it is good quality?

I do believe i am getting my life toward what i been searching for all this years, but still i have a good part of my life that have to be changed :)
used to be times when 2 mules could not pull apart a pair of blue-jeans [cuz they were hemp...crafty Levi bros.]
but these days everything has been de-natured [planned obsolescence] which means good luck finding anything close to authentic unless you put great effort into it.
but that doesn't mean it isn't to be found, although I see no huge abundance of such choices anywhere, unless one has bricks of gold stashed away, then options galore.go figure.o_O

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
used to be times when 2 mules could not pull apart a pair of blue-jeans [cuz they were hemp...crafty Levi bros.]
but these days everything has been de-natured [planned obsolescence] which means good luck finding anything close to authentic unless you put great effort into it.
but that doesn't mean it isn't to be found, although I see no huge abundance of such choices anywhere, unless one has bricks of gold stashed away, then options galore.go figure.o_O
I know that everything that is healthy and eco friendly are a lot more expensive today yes :( it is sad in a way. I doing my best to stop being a part of the polution circle we humans live in. But not easy...

MNoBody

I know that everything that is healthy and eco friendly are a lot more expensive today yes :( it is sad in a way. I doing my best to stop being a part of the polution circle we humans live in. But not easy...
I have been re-purposing things my entire life and it seems at this point a vain effort, an exercise in futility....... in the bigger sense.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have been re-purposing things my entire life and it seems at this point a vain effort, an exercise in futility....... in the bigger sense.
Well yes in a way, but if everyone thought like that nothing would be done better :) even on a smale scale

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I like some of the bohemian earth style clothing. Most of it on google is more model showcase wear. Not quite where I'm getting at.

bohemian.jpg

As for men, I guess vintage style would work out too.

Bear Wild

Very impressive my friend. I have been trying to only wear biodegradable clothing. My wife has found some great clothing on Etsy. It is so wonderful that you care.

MNoBody

Well yes in a way, but if everyone thought like that nothing would be done better :) even on a smale scale
that's just a half century sigh......after that long, I should be afforded some leeway to grumble about how ineffectual it has been, because of lack of interest by any majority.....ah well party till one drops or shop till they drop and let the future generation pay for it....
ok done...... gonna go do something outdoors for a while..peace amanki.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Very impressive my friend. I have been trying to only wear biodegradable clothing. My wife has found some great clothing on Etsy. It is so wonderful that you care.
I can only do so much as a single person, but honestly, after i started my transformation, my thoughts become more clear, and i see that even the little i do can help :)
Life got a lot less cluttered now

Nimos

6C8486411-130801-adamphoto-hmed-0205p-files.fit-760w.jpg

To obvious? :D

Without being an expert, I believe I have heard that hemp is actually quite good and soft.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You're familiar with the mantra - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

There is a reason they are in that order as they are listed by order of importance and impact. When it comes to clothing, here's how those R's work.

Reduce - Do I Actually Need This?

If you don't need it, don't buy it. Consume as little as is reasonably possible. I am always shocked to learn that some humans redo their entire wardrobe yearly (or worse). There is no reason to do this. It is extremely wasteful. If it isn't broken, it doesn't need to be replaced. I wear clothes until they are literally falling apart (and sometimes after). If you must buy, buy with an eye for quality. I'm still wearing t-shirts I got two decades ago. They're still in really good condition because they were high quality.

Reuse - Do I Actually Need This NEW?

There are two ways to reuse clothes. One, as your clothes fall apart, repair them. Many repair jobs are very easy to do with even a simple needle and thread. Sometimes, you can turn pants into shorts, or long-sleeved shirts into tank tops to prolong their lives. Two, you can insist on buying used whenever that is reasonably possible. Given there are a bunch of insane humans that redo their wardrobes yearly, you can get a lot of really nice clothes at consignment stores or thrift stores. And for a really, really good price. Plus, you will find a heck of a lot more variety at these stores than you will in retail because every single item there is different.

Recycle - Can I Make Something?

There are places that take old textiles and recycle them. Sometimes you can find local drop-off sites, but there are also some on the internet. If the clothes are in good condition, you can also donate them to the same thrift stores you shop at for the prior step. If you are the crafty type, you gan give clothes that are past their use a new life in various projects. You can make rugs, patchwork quilts, use them as cleaning rags... lots of possibilities!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're familiar with the mantra - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

There is a reason they are in that order as they are listed by order of importance and impact. When it comes to clothing, here's how those R's work.

Reduce - Do I Actually Need This?

If you don't need it, don't buy it. Consume as little as is reasonably possible. I am always shocked to learn that some humans redo their entire wardrobe yearly (or worse). There is no reason to do this. It is extremely wasteful. If it isn't broken, it doesn't need to be replaced. I wear clothes until they are literally falling apart (and sometimes after). If you must buy, buy with an eye for quality. I'm still wearing t-shirts I got two decades ago. They're still in really good condition because they were high quality.

Reuse - Do I Actually Need This NEW?

There are two ways to reuse clothes. One, as your clothes fall apart, repair them. Many repair jobs are very easy to do with even a simple needle and thread. Sometimes, you can turn pants into shorts, or long-sleeved shirts into tank tops to prolong their lives. Two, you can insist on buying used whenever that is reasonably possible. Given there are a bunch of insane humans that redo their wardrobes yearly, you can get a lot of really nice clothes at consignment stores or thrift stores. And for a really, really good price. Plus, you will find a heck of a lot more variety at these stores than you will in retail because every single item there is different.

Recycle - Can I Make Something?

There are places that take old textiles and recycle them. Sometimes you can find local drop-off sites, but there are also some on the internet. If the clothes are in good condition, you can also donate them to the same thrift stores you shop at for the prior step. If you are the crafty type, you gan give clothes that are past their use a new life in various projects. You can make rugs, patchwork quilts, use them as cleaning rags... lots of possibilities!
I like this :) actually i was about to post something similar i just read. So post it here instead :)

Set aside what does not make you feel good. Get rid of everything that gets in the way, distracts you, and causes you to lose focus and clarity. Keep what makes you feel good.

Do not buy what you do not need. Do not let advertisements, fashion trends and other people's opinions fool you. Having things will not make you happy. The truth is that when we have enough to meet our basic needs, products can not improve our well-being. They can only provide an instant gratification that will soon disappear.

Appreciate everything you already have. Focus on what you have instead of what you do not have. Otherwise, you will always feel incomplete, dissatisfied and as a prisoner of your own desires.

Minimize your digital distractions. Email, instant messaging, social networking and websites are all distractions that cause you to lose focus at the moment. Use such media deliberately.

Improve your relationships with others. Although it is easier to connect with more people in the Internet age, we have become increasingly disconnected. We lack true human relationships.

Do one thing at a time. The minimalist lifestyle promotes living more focused. In other words, make the most of every moment. If we are disrupted and / or engaged in multitasking, we will not be able to do so.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Too spendy for me to wear.
Another eco-friendly option is used clothing.
And wearing clothing til worn past looking respectable.
Unfortunately i will have to spend some money to buy only eco friendly clothes yes. I want to give away all my current clothing and buy hemp or linnen clothing only. But i know i need some more research first :)