• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In a purely hypothetical situation...

Which religion would you hypothetically convert to?

• Christianity

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Islam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Hindusim

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Paganism/Wiccan

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Luciferanism/Satanism

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Scientology

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Taoism

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Gnocisti

• Gnosticism

• UU Theist

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other (Post it)

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters

Somkid

Zen Buddhism not much different but less room for error and a bit more orthodox for lack of a better word

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Zen Buddhism not much different but less room for error and a bit more orthodox for lack of a better word
Um... my understanding is that Zen and Ch'an are one and the same. Zen is simply the Japanese word for Ch'an. At least that's what my Zen teacher and countless others have told me.

pwsoldier

unapologetic freethinker
Pastafarianism (Flying Spaghetti Monster). Nothing else to say.

RAmen!!!

I chose "other", deism. It seems to me that it's the only God-based religion that's truly compatible with modern science and reason. I could also see myself being a non-theist Buddhist though.

Somkid

Um... my understanding is that Zen and Ch'an are one and the same. Zen is simply the Japanese word for Ch'an. At least that's what my Zen teacher and countless others have told me.

Yes you are correct, Zazen means "meditation" as does (Ch)Ch'an, however the practices are somewhat different for example Ch'an is mixed with Taoism and Zen is sometimes mixed with Shinto concepts or has just been turned into pure Mahayana Buddhism. When I was young and became a monk I went to China because my idea was more compatible with the practice there as I got older and learned much more I found my ideas were more compatible with Zen in Japan. So, as I said not much of a difference other than the practice and I think the Zen spend a lot more time with Koans and in silence then the Ch'an.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Satanism, im a rebellious young teenager with attitude :)

How unique.

*yawn*

I challenge your rebellious nature to present a compelling and persuasive argument in favor of your "belief".

You have time...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
One needs to rebel first in order to learn that rebellion for the sake of rebellion is still conformity. A teen-ager who is rebelling is doing what a teen-ager should be doing, testing limits and learning. Why rain on his parade?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
From what I gather from reading peoples posts here, I would say either Taoism or Buddhism. Not sure though.

I'll just say I'm glad I don't REALLY need to make this choice lol.

Although - paganism sounds like fun too....

Pft I would be all over Satanism......

Yeah, no. Satanism has no redeeming aspects whatsoever.

"Hey guys I have a good idea! Lets join the losing side on the battle for infinite immortal souls!"

Probably Buddhism