• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In a purely hypothetical situation...

Which religion would you hypothetically convert to?

• Christianity

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Islam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Hindusim

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Paganism/Wiccan

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Luciferanism/Satanism

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Scientology

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Taoism

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Gnocisti

• Gnosticism

• UU Theist

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other (Post it)

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters

wednesday

Jesus
How unique.

*yawn*

I challenge your rebellious nature to present a compelling and persuasive argument in favor of your "belief".

You have time...

I like to break things in my room whilst listening to people = sh*t by slipknot and wear pointless amounts of eyeliner, and if eyeliner isn't available, black model paint. Secretely whilst i pretend im too cool to talk to anyone i spend hours talking online to randoms in Malaysia about how much i want to kill myself. I also like to draw red pentegrams on everything and chant f*ck knows what to scare innocent people into thinking im going to curse them.

Thats my arguement.

Sadly these days i don't have much time to worry about any of that and amuse myself by laughing at the little kids i see prancing round looking like they belong in cradle of filth.

Pah

Uber all member
If you were to convert to a faith...which one would you choose and why?
Why would any go back to any religion, once atheism is ingested. I don't believe in any of paranornal, supernormal. I believe in myth only for what it can teach me and not it's factual telling.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hindusim can be related to atheism, by simply not believing in god. Sub-conciously, all buddhists, jains are hindu's.

I have read that argument, and it is certainly easier to see the Devas and their avatars as allegories in Hinduism than to make a similar effort in the Abrahamic religions.

I can see that there is a point to it, too. The Sanatana Dharma has plenty of worth without necessarily relying on belief in God. It does inspire and reminds one of the worth of Transcendence.

Still, it is a bit tricky at times, or so it seems to me. There is a lot of emphasys on the Devas and Avatars, and most of the time they seem to be actively acting.

I don't really agree that Buddhism should be considered part of Hinduism, although it is hardly a matter worth becoming sour about. I do recognize that most early Buddhist concepts are directly inherited from Hinduism (though that is hardly the case anymore except in Tibetan and Nepalese Vajrayana) and that, since both are religions, by necessity they end up having somewhat convergent goals, if not necessarily the same ideas about how to reach them.

Then again, I usually think of Hinduism as a framework of sorts, an "assembly kit" of sorts, as opposed to a ready-made religion. It offers tools, but does not really even attempt to have the same universal face among its various subgroups. It does, however, offer a common language and various useful concepts. It is up to more specific Gurus and practicioners to build a coherent faith (and discuss it) from there.

As for the OP and Poll - what would "Gnostici" be? Never heard of it. I am quite atheistic, so I suppose that if I were to leave Buddhism I would probably choose Taoism, perhaps even Hinduism. It depends a fair lot from which communities (Sanghas) I had access to.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
LuisDantas, hinduism is not tricky. It is very straight forward. It says action according to one's 'dharma' (duties and righteous action, i.e., not murdering, no adultry, not stealing, not telling a lie, etc.) is necessary for all. It knows and accepts that all people would not accept just one belief. So, it kept personal belief without fetters. There are polytheists as well as atheists (like me) in hinduism. That belief (mata - opinion) is mine, others may have different beliefs. So, where is the problem?

i would chose taoism because it sounds fun and even though i swich religion doesn't mean i actively participare in it