• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Immoral Sex Acts Taught In Elementary School?"

Bob Dixon

>implying
I motion that humans are locked up in 3m by 3m rooms until the age of 25 at which point they'll be let out. Then, they'll be adults and they'll know how to behave like mature people.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Newsflash - teens do engage in sexual activity. No matter how much parents would like to stick their heads in the sand, teenagers from varying households have sex. Even those who took purity pledges engage in non-procreative types of sex in order to get around the loopholes of their pledges....no intercourse? Still a virgin! Right?....right?

This is why the incidence of rectal gonorrhea is far higher among Latino Christians than other Christian teens. Anal sex is regarded as being "not really" sex.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Just Google House of Representatives bill 998 and you can find it.

It is about bullying and discrimination because of sexual preference in public schools. Nowhere in the bill does it talk about teaching.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
H.R. 998 - The Student Non-Discrimination Act - U.S. Representative Jared Polis
H.R. 998 -- The Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA)

Every day, students who are, or are perceived to be, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) are subjected to pervasive discrimination, including harassment, bullying, intimidation and violence, which is harmful to both students and our education system. While civil rights protections expressly address discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, disability or national origin, they do not explicitly include sexual orientation or gender identity and, as a result, LGBT students and parents have often had limited legal recourse for this kind of discrimination.

To address this lack of protection and ensure that all students have access to public education in a safe environment free from discrimination, including harassment, bullying, intimidation and violence, the Student Non-Discrimination Act establishes a comprehensive Federal prohibition of discrimination in public schools based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity and provides victims with meaningful and effective remedies, modeled after Title IX.

I see nothing wrong with protecting students from bullying and harassment regardless if they are gay or straight.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
No they dont. Its not their responsibility. They are just people who happen to work as teachers of various subjects. For all you know the person teaching your kids about sex is a pedophile.

And for all I know the history teacher is a nazi.

Still, history needs to be taught. So does sex. I can tell you that if we take the number of pedophile teachers and the number of teens that are actually going to catch venereal diseases and get each other pregnant because of lack of information... welll, let´s say a lot more kids will be saved with sex ed.

no thankyou. I dont. I trust no one.

Start by not trusting your kids to do what you tell them to 100% without flaw, and making sure they know all they want to know before screwing up.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
No they dont. Its not their responsibility. They are just people who happen to work as teachers of various subjects. For all you know the person teaching your kids about sex is a pedophile. Is that the sort of person you want to be teaching your kids about sex?

no thankyou. I dont. I trust no one.

I'm sorry, but as a teacher I am deeply offended by that notion.

You do know that teachers have a set curriculum they have to teach regardless of their personal notions on the matter?
You do know that the vast majority of teachers out there are professionals with work ethics and who actually work damn hard to make sure that the children under their care receive the best possible education they can give them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'm sorry, but as a teacher I am deeply offended by that notion.

You do know that teachers have a set curriculum they have to teach regardless of their personal notions on the matter?
You do know that the vast majority of teachers out there are professionals with work ethics and who actually work damn hard to make sure that the children under their care receive the best possible education they can give them?

im sorry that you found my comment offensive, but the reality is that just being a teacher does not make one better equipped or qualified to teach my children about sex.

I find it offensive when teachers assume the responsibility of a parent over children who are not their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skwim

Veteran Member
im sorry that you found my comment offensive, but the reality is that just being a teacher does not make one better equipped or qualified to teach my children about sex.

I find it offensive when teachers assume the responsibility of a parent over children who are not their own.
What of those children whose parents don't assume the responsibility? And, as I understand it most, if not all, school systems allow a parent to excuse their child from sex ed.

From the "Washington state law on health and sexuality education."
(4) Excusal of students -- Alternative studies. Any parent or legal guardian who wishes to have his/her child excused from any planned instruction in sex education or human sexuality may do so upon filing a written request with the school district board of directors or its designee and the board of directors shall make available the appropriate forms for such requests. Alternative educational opportunities shall be provided for those excused.
source

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What of those children whose parents don't assume the responsibility? And, as I understand it most, if not all, school systems allow a parent to excuse their child from sex ed.

if it were an 'elective' subject at school, that would be fine and i think that is the best way to offer it as a subject. But its not an elective at my kids schools. They incorporate it into the physical education curriculum which includes a range of subjects.

but this thread is about the possibility of teaching kids about homosexuality which really has nothing to do with physical education in the sense of physical development and body changes/puberty/reproduction

Skwim

Veteran Member
if it were an 'elective' subject at school, that would be fine and i think that is the best way to offer it as a subject. But its not an elective at my kids schools. They incorporate it into the physical education curriculum which includes a range of subjects.
Curious if you've approached the school about this. I would think they could easily accommodate a request to excuse your kids from sex ed..

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Interesting, so Australian schools don't have what's called an "opt out" provision?

In American public schools, sex ed is commonly taught as a unit of study in PE/health class at the upper levels and as part of health as a subject in elementary school with specific starting and ending dates so that parents who wish to submit the request that their child be excused from sex ed instruction may do so.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Curious if you've approached the school about this. I would think they could easily accommodate a request to excuse your kids from sex ed..

i dont have a problem with basic sex ed

But i would have a problem if they included such things as homosexuality because that is not simply teaching kids about physical education

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Interesting, so Australian schools don't have what's called an "opt out" provision?

In American public schools, sex ed is commonly taught as a unit of study in PE/health class at the upper levels and as part of health as a subject in elementary school with specific starting and ending dates so that parents who wish to submit the request that their child be excused from sex ed instruction may do so.

over here is one small subject taught as part of the physical education class. They go into the physical changes associated with puberty and the reproductive cycle which includes all students watching a live birth (from a dvd)

They also include information on sexually transmitted diseases and the use of condoms/contraception as a prevention aid...baby dolls are also used so kids can experience what its like to have to look after a baby every day. It is different in all schools though, they do vary in what they teach.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
You don't think it's important for students to learn that there are homosexuals and what that means? There may be gay students among them, or fellow students who are children of homosexual couples.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

So you're telling me that my years of studying child psychology, science, language, math and pedagogics, not to mention years of experience working with kids, is not only worthless, but is likely to have turned me into a paedophile?

Gotcha. :facepalm:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
And then there were the homeschooling parents I used to have to attempt to aid without laughing or crying who'd come into the bookstore where I worked and not even know what a table of contents or an index was...or worse still, thought they were the same thing. As for what a bibliography included...forget that.

And then, there was the woman who didn't want anything that wasn't Christian in any of the books she might buy for her children to read in her homeschool. Could I assure her that the titles on the list of age-appropriate children's books she had didn't contain anything non-Christian?

No, kidding...one of them was The Diary of Anne Frank.

Last edited:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
And then there were the homeschooling parents I used to have to attempt to aid without laughing or crying who'd come into the bookstore where I worked and not even know what a table of contents or an index was...or worse still, thought they were the same thing. As for what a bibliography included...forget that.

And then, there was the woman who didn't want anything that wasn't Christian in any of the books she might buy for her children to read in her homeschool. Could I assure her that the titles on the list of age-appropriate children's books she had didn't contain anything non-Christian?

No, kidding...one of them was The Diary of Anne Frank.

Exactly.
Being physically capable of procreation does not in and of itself make anyone qualified to teach anyone anything.
Not even procreation...