• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Immoral Sex Acts Taught In Elementary School?"

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't know how you do things in Australia, but in Norway teachers are subject to extensive background checks, have a set curriculum and are being routinely checked on that curriculum.

Background checks work great for older folks, people just starting out don't have any background to check.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I think it is immoral not to provide children with an evidence based education in human sexuality. And since parents are generally too immoral to do that, it's up to the schools to do it.

The essence of the matter in a nutshell.

Hear! Hear! :shout

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Background checks work great for older folks, people just starting out don't have any background to check.

Oh, please! Anyone graduating college and applying for licensing to teach in the U.S. will be at least 21 years old and likely somewhat older these days.

Do you honestly think that someone that age can't have an arrest record or other unsavory things in hir background that can be established by investigating the person's reputation as a student or in jobs held as a teenager?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Oh, please! Anyone graduating college and applying for licensing to teach in the U.S. will be at least 21 years old and likely somewhat older these days.

Do you honestly think that someone that age can't have an arrest record or other unsavory things in hir background that can be established by investigating the person's reputation as a student or in jobs held as a teenager?

Get real, you think a person who has a short track record is going to get caught right away? Everyone starts out with a clean record, even Charles Manson. :facepalm:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Get real, you think a person who has a short track record is going to get caught right away? Everyone starts out with a clean record, even Charles Manson. :facepalm:

Manson, you say? Okay, how about this "clean record" in childhood?

Since his mother couldn't take care of him, Charles spent his youth at the homes of various relatives and often at special reform schools and boys homes. By age nine, Charles Manson had already started stealing and soon added burglary and stealing cars to his repertoire. [emphasis added]

Source

These days, I highly doubt that I would be able to get a teaching license if a background check were done on me during my undergrad years. I started smoking marijuana at age 19 and continued doing so periodically until shortly before starting my first teaching job at age 24. I did plenty of underage drinking from age 17 on to 21, too.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The essence of the matter in a nutshell.

Hear! Hear! :shout

except he just generalized and put all parents into the basket of being immoral for not teaching their kids about sex

that includes you if you are a parent.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Manson, you say? Okay, how about this "clean record" in childhood?

Since his mother couldn't take care of him, Charles spent his youth at the homes of various relatives and often at special reform schools and boys homes. By age nine, Charles Manson had already started stealing and soon added burglary and stealing cars to his repertoire. [emphasis added]

Source

These days, I highly doubt that I would be able to get a teaching license if a background check were done on me during my undergrad years. I started smoking marijuana at age 19 and continued doing so periodically until shortly before starting my first teaching job at age 24. I did plenty of underage drinking from age 17 on to 21, too.
Most juvenile records are sealed, you know that right? Until a person is 30 years old, they really might have never been caught. You need a good ten years to have a solid background in my book. You need a chance to build a credit history as well. I personally would not hire a person under 25 years old.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
THIS is what Sunstone said.
I think it is immoral not to provide children with an evidence based education in human sexuality. And since parents are generally too immoral to do that, it's up to the schools to do it.

What irks you is that schools have the audacity not to teach sex ed precisely as you think it should be taught which from what you've said previously is, I suspect,"Don't do anything at all sexual until you're married."

except he just generalized and put all parents into the basket of being immoral for not teaching their kids about sex

Oh, for WHATEVER's sake, Pegg! He said nothing of the kind! It doesn't appear you understood what he said in the slightest, probably because you're so adamant that evidence-based comprehensive sex ed as taught in schools says nothing about responsibility as you regard it.

I think it's both foolish and more than somewhat naive to give your kids abstinence-only-till-married teachings about sex and expect that they'll do as you prefer. Research has shown that such instruction more often than not turns sex into forbidden fruit. And we know how quickly that is typically plucked and consumed.

Check research on the pregnancy and STD rates among teenagers given abstinence-only sex ed. The rates of both are notably higher than among teenagers who've had comprehensive sex ed that discusses sexual responsibility, use of contraceptives and the dangers of STD's--and also says as such do: "It's definitely best to abstain."

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Most juvenile records are sealed, you know that right? Until a person is 30 years old, they really might have never been caught. You need a good ten years to have a solid background in my book. You need a chance to build a credit history as well. I personally would not hire a person under 25 years old.

Oh, sure, a trained investigator doing a background check isn't going to interview teachers, neighbors, etc. who knew the person as a child.

Obviously, no one should be able to become a teacher because s/he just MIGHT have deviant tendencies that are carefully concealed. There, that will solve the problem.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

Well, considering that you a couple of pages ago basically suspected all teachers everywhere of being sexual deviants with a sinister agenda...

Pot, meet kettle? :sarcastic