• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Immoral Sex Acts Taught In Elementary School?"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Public schools are probably the best way of educating most kids in evidence based sexuality.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
biology is fine, physical education is fine

but this thread is about homosexuality meaning sexual acts .... its not simply about physical education. I remember my sex education classes at school being about reproduction. Homosexuality does not lead to reproduction, therefore it is not simply about biology.

It is about biology. Reproduction is only a part of human sexuality.

May I ask what is the education you would wish for your children on sex?

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
maybe someone should be teaching the parents how to talk about sex openly and not like there is anything wrong with it.

That still wouldn't mean they'd tell their kids about sex unfortunately.

I suspect most people find it too embarrassing to talk about with their kids. Probably related to Johnny Carson saying years ago on The Tonight Show that no one can actually imagine their parents having sex.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I suspect most people find it too embarrassing to talk about with their kids. Probably related to Johnny Carson saying years ago on The Tonight Show that no one can actually imagine their parents having sex.

There was an interesting study some years ago. The researchers questioned many parents about when, where, and how they talked to their kids about sex. What they discovered was fascinating. The parents that had talked to their kids about sex from an early age were still in communication with their kids about sex when the kids were teens. But the parents who waited until their kids were teens to talk with them about sex never did get around to talking with their kids.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

probably true

I dont know whats so embarrasing about it though. My own experience is that my mother never talked to me about sex so I made a point to ensure i did with my kids. I have personally found that the more it is spoken about, the less embarrassing it is for everyone and the easier it is to speak frankly about it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I grew up in a household where we could talk about sex openly. No teenage pregnancy. No STD's. We felt comfortable about talking about it, and we all benefitted from the talk.

But even in an atmosphere as open as our household, we didn't learn everything we needed.

Comprehensive sex education provides the most information for our kids so that they can be safe and pregnancy-free.

Teaching kids about the normalcy of homosexuality is a healthy part of sex education, considering how many kids are feeling closeted enough as it is, and if they want to explore, they'll do so uninformed and without a support system. Many teens don't want their parents to know about their feelings and desires because they're afraid of disappointing them...so they get all their information from their friends, who get their information from other friends, and on and on.

There are a LOT of misinformed youth out there when it comes to pregnancy, disease, and same-sex attraction. Our kids NEED us to educate them comprehensively.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"I’m helping lead the fight to defeat the radical homosexuals but I need your help."

At least the man is honest about it. :sarcastic

because sex isnt just any other subject.

it can cause a lot of problems if it is misused or abused. It needs to be dealt with carefully not like its 'just another' subject.
The part about it causing a lot of problems is a key reason why it's important to cover it.

School seems pretty good at teaching students calculus, and pretty bad at teaching students how to manage money, how to eat well, and how their own bodies work, and parents generally don't seem to be teaching those things very well either. Mostly it seems a lack of effort- tons of classes on math, very little on money, nutrition, sex, etc.

a morality to go along with the physical aspects of sex
Parents are free to teach their children things outside of school. It's not as though if something is taught in school, it's not allowed to be taught outside of school as well.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
this thread obviously isnt about 'physical' education. I have no problem with that.

But being taught about sex by some teacher in a classroom is inappropriate because the values of that teacher may not be the same as the values of the childs family and for that reason I know i certainly wouldnt want my kids learning about sex from anyone but myself.

By that logic, history shouldn't be taught in schools because some people might believe that the holocaust was a hoax or they might not believe that the civil rights movement should be presented as something positive due to their "values".

Me Myself

Back to my username
No, seriously, i just dont want some stranger teaching my kids 'their' view of how sex should be treated and what sex is all about.

The school has a moral obligation to teach any kid in there what sex is all about, the causes and effects of actions regarding sex, the ways to limit the spreading of diseases, etc. It´s their moral duty to do so.

About how sex "should be treated", well yeah, I´d say that´s your call as a mom, but they should know what is going to happen with each different "treatment" they might make of it, because that part is knowledge.

they must know that if they have sex without condom, the likeliness of pregnancy goes higher, and how much. they must know what to do and what not to do with a condom so it doesn´t break, etc. They must know a lot of things about sex. Now, about wheter or not they will have sex, that is for you to advice them (cause quite honestly, they are going to do what they want in the end, anyways)

they must know the posible consecuences of all the posible actions. You are the one leading them in which actions they should take, but if they are going to screw up (and most teenagers simply do (by your definition of screwing up that basically would mean... well, screwing :D ) they better know what they are doing, so the consecuences are not permanent.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Who's morality?

Isn't it obvious that Pegg means the one she considers appropriate for her kids to be taught? Her idea of sexual morality, in other words.

I think Me Myself raised a good point: Oftentimes, no matter what morals parents teach, their kids will ignore them if they decide they want to do that. Having sex before marriage is probably the single most common instance of kids ignoring what their parents or religion teach.

I'm not saying that moral standards shouldn't be taught by parents, but don't get the idea that your children are products which you form and package for adult life. If you do that, you'll inevitably be disappointed.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The part about it causing a lot of problems is a key reason why it's important to cover it.

the problem i find with the whole situation is that the school sex education system seems to say its ok and normal to have sex at your age..."you are going to do it so you might as well know how its done"... that method of instruction only serves to make kids think they are ready for sex because they know all about how not to get into trouble with it. And that is a huge problem because a lot of the problems with sex are not just physical but also psychological.

the school system just cannot prepare a young person for the emotional problems associate with premarital sex, or the feelings of being used by someone who didnt really care about you...the scars for some people are long lasting and the baggage is often carried around with them into other relationships.

I believe the best defense against all the problems of sex is abstinence and that is what kids should be encouraged to believe is normal behavior. But instead they are told sex is normal behavior so kids are inadvertently being pressured into sex before they are mature enough to really handle it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The school has a moral obligation to teach any kid in there what sex is all about, the causes and effects of actions regarding sex, the ways to limit the spreading of diseases, etc. It´s their moral duty to do so.

No they dont. Its not their responsibility. They are just people who happen to work as teachers of various subjects. For all you know the person teaching your kids about sex is a pedophile. Is that the sort of person you want to be teaching your kids about sex?

no thankyou. I dont. I trust no one.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
the problem i find with the whole situation is that the school sex education system seems to say its ok and normal to have sex at your age..."you are going to do it so you might as well know how its done"... that method of instruction only serves to make kids think they are ready for sex because they know all about how not to get into trouble with it. And that is a huge problem because a lot of the problems with sex are not just physical but also psychological.

Newsflash - teens do engage in sexual activity. No matter how much parents would like to stick their heads in the sand, teenagers from varying households have sex. Even those who took purity pledges engage in non-procreative types of sex in order to get around the loopholes of their pledges....no intercourse? Still a virgin! Right?....right?

If these kids in particular ARE engaging in sex without any comprehensive information of the risks, the impact, and the safeguards with these activities, we collectively are not doing our jobs as the people who are responsible for preparing them properly for the real world.

the school system just cannot prepare a young person for the emotional problems associate with premarital sex, or the feelings of being used by someone who didnt really care about you...the scars for some people are long lasting and the baggage is often carried around with them into other relationships.

Problems associated with sex tend to be the result of either or both of these factors: ignorance and lack of resolve. Period.

Abstinence is 100% guaranteed to prevent pregnancy and disease. No sex at all, no issues, right? No sex until marriage! No sex until marriage! Abstinence is the answer for protecting our youth!

How about this, in addition? With the rate of auto accidents among our youth, and how emotionally and psychologically crippling it is to survive car accidents, teens need to abstain from driving. Let's discourage them from driving until they get a job. After all, they obviously are not mature enough to handle driving a 2-ton piece of metal down the road at 65 miles an hour.

Take away Drivers Ed! And on that note, take away Women's History, Black History, and evolution from our science classes since they might cross the line of some households' moral and doctrinal teachings.

I believe the best defense against all the problems of sex is abstinence and that is what kids should be encouraged to believe is normal behavior. But instead they are told sex is normal behavior so kids are inadvertently being pressured into sex before they are mature enough to really handle it.

Please tell me how sex is not normal. Please do. How is sex not normal?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No they dont. Its not their responsibility. They are just people who happen to work as teachers of various subjects. For all you know the person teaching your kids about sex is a pedophile. Is that the sort of person you want to be teaching your kids about sex?

For all you know, the person who is the church choir director teaching your children how to sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" is a pedophile. Or your neighbor. Or your spouse.

no thankyou. I dont. I trust no one.

I find that really really sad. :(

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Abstinence is one of those things that looks good on paper, but is a royal mess in real life. I had a friend who sent his two daughters to Christian schools in part so they would be taught to abstain from sex. Neither girl learned to use birth control. Both girls ended up having children out of wedlock while still a teen. **** abstinence.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
We should also teach kids to abstain from money. All money. They're not mature enough to handle spending and saving.

Getting a job at 15 doesn't mean they should be encouraged to use the money they earned. Go to work, come home, and hand over the check to the parents. In fact, the kids shouldn't even know how much they're getting paid. Lest they become curious and will ask to spend it and probably blow it all on shoes or a new iPod.

We already have enough of a problem reigning them in with spending on school grounds with lunches, book fees, and school festivals where they can spend money just for fun....:eek:...the horror!

Teens are too immature to handle such adult matters. Any adult matter. They should abstain from everything.