• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@JustAnotherLostSoul : it seems to me that it is only human to change interests and affinities as time goes by, particularly when one is young.

It is entirely possible that you have changed your perspective and it just turns out that your Church is not all that compatible with you anymore. That is no indication of a flaw in you - and it does not necessarily indicate a flaw in the Church either, although I guess that is a matter of personal opinion.

You probably shouldn't let it bother you too much. For that matter, I advise you not to mind too much about whether you believe in God or not, either.

Those are simply not particularly serious matters, unless you decide to make them so.

You may find some worth in learning a bit about religious diversity. The Catholic approach towards religion is hardly the only one worth considering. Even if you decide that you have no interest in leaving Catholicism, contrasting it with other worldviews might well lead to a renewed appreciation of its qualities - or perhaps to the realization that you have been holding back on your own religious calls. Hard to tell without being you.

In any case, accept yourself as you are, even if it turns out to be the start of a decision to become someone else. There are no substitutes for self-acceptance and serenity.

Take care.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sure I know, I just didn't know the word AEsir.
Some folks have such sheltered lives. :):D:)

In regards to the OP, it sounds like you are still quite young and perhaps live in a smaller town. Showing your true feelings may prove difficult. My suggestion is become "The Actor" and do what is necessary until you can get the hell out of Dodge. Then, don't look back. Make a series of short term and long term goals and then work towards them. Having goals and aspirations will help to dampen the tedium of dealing with those you have already left behind. Take care.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
When I attended the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses I soon learned
that prayer after the "sermons" were loooooooong.
Some lasted 15 minutes!
It was almost like a contest to see which "brother" could exhort praises
the mostest and longest.
Whew!
Please. I'm not knocking J.W's and have the greatest of respect for those
people.
And an even greater love and respect for Jehovah.

Um
263cylj.gif
....it's obviously been a while since you were in a Kingdom Hall......there are no 15 minute prayers......and certainly no contests.

Why do you say you're not knocking JW's when you seem to make some crack about us whenever you get the opportunity?
17.gif

If you have such great respect for Jehovah, how are you showing it?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I’m starting to doubt my faith in God. Or should I say that I am slowly losing my faith in Him. I don’t know when it started. One day when I woke up and stopped going to church. I stopped praying unless my professor assigned people to lead the prayer. I am also planning to refuse leading the prayer in class even though they assigned me. I am also dragged to go to church whenever my mom wants us to have a family day. Posts about God start to annoy me. I actually found myself rolling my eyes whenever I hear my friends talk or post about Him. I don’t know what the exact reason is. I’ve been through a lot in 2014 and I remember always praying and asking Him for guidance. I even asked him to save me and show me the light but now, I don’t think I’m asking Him again. I can’t tell my parents that I don’t want to believe in God again, they will probably be mad at me and I don’t want to be the talk of town. Every time my mom nags about me not going to church, I lie. One time I told her that I don’t have someone to come with me, but the truth is I don’t really want to go. I also remember, years ago, I love attending mass. I always pay 100% attention and cooperate but now, whenever I am dragged to attend mass, I can’t understand anything. It’s like I’m physically present but my mind is out somewhere. I attended catholic school since I want in first grade and even now in college but still, I’m having this problem. You see, this is a real big problem for me and I don’t know how long will I be like this.

Are you sure its faith in God that you are losing and not just faith in a meaningless and repetitive practice of religion? You are young and need to explore your options. No one should have their religion chosen for them because only you can love God for yourself. He doesn't care about "performance"...he cares about how you feel about him.
How well do you really know God? How sure are you that the lens you have been taught to look through is the right one? Maybe God is someone you have yet to meet? Go searching...or maybe he will find you?

Ask questions and don't stop till you get the answers that satisfy you. That's what I did.

GoodbyeDave

I’m starting to doubt my faith in God. Or should I say that I am slowly losing my faith in Him.
You aren't lost, but you may be on the way to being found!

I naturally believe that the universe is designed and created: things don't just happen for no reason at all. But does the Creator seek a personal relationship with every one of her creations? Wouldn't that cramp our style, reduce us to perpetual childhood?

As a Pagan, I believe that "God created heaven and earth" and that heaven contains beings who are a bit closer to us, whom we can relate to without being overwhelmed: the Gods.

What you are loosing is your faith, not in God, but in God as packaged by Christianity. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

And now I must run, as I have an appointment with the Gods before I can get round to making dinner.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I’m starting to doubt my faith in God. Or should I say that I am slowly losing my faith in Him. I don’t know when it started. One day when I woke up and stopped going to church. I stopped praying unless my professor assigned people to lead the prayer. I am also planning to refuse leading the prayer in class even though they assigned me. I am also dragged to go to church whenever my mom wants us to have a family day. Posts about God start to annoy me. I actually found myself rolling my eyes whenever I hear my friends talk or post about Him. I don’t know what the exact reason is. I’ve been through a lot in 2014 and I remember always praying and asking Him for guidance. I even asked him to save me and show me the light but now, I don’t think I’m asking Him again. I can’t tell my parents that I don’t want to believe in God again, they will probably be mad at me and I don’t want to be the talk of town. Every time my mom nags about me not going to church, I lie. One time I told her that I don’t have someone to come with me, but the truth is I don’t really want to go. I also remember, years ago, I love attending mass. I always pay 100% attention and cooperate but now, whenever I am dragged to attend mass, I can’t understand anything. It’s like I’m physically present but my mind is out somewhere. I attended catholic school since I want in first grade and even now in college but still, I’m having this problem. You see, this is a real big problem for me and I don’t know how long will I be like this.
To some extent, I can sympathize completely with what you've expressed here--I've gone through the same struggles in the past. I've been a hair away from leaving either the Church or Christianity altogether more times than I can count, yet somehow I always find my way back.

The biggest step towards solving your problem is knowing why you no longer want to believe in God or go to church--does the spiritual climate offered by your home parish and practiced by your friends not resonate with you? I also usually find the Facebook posts about how much "I'm so thankful that God loves me because this really good thing happened to me and I feel so blessed" to be really kitschy, and that's not how I choose to express my faith or talk about my relationship with God. I eschew the sentimentality. Perhaps it's things like that which are bugging you? Either way, find that reason out for yourself.

I converted to Catholicism through the Roman Church, but after a year and a half or so, I couldn't stand the Roman Novus Ordo Mass anymore; nothing in that Mass resonated with my spirit, but I found Byzantine Catholicism, which I found was a much better fit for me personally. I also find myself having very little in common with the Catholic/Christian youth scene. You probably know what I'm talking about--college students saying things like "God just wants to love on you" or saying that we "love on each other" in fellowship, bearing our souls to one another, getting all emotional, always talking about "diving into the Word" but barely scratching the surface... Yeah, I couldn't jive with that either. Can you put your finger on what's turning you off from God and the Church?

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Well you are starting to realize that god is a load of crap. How old are you? If you are 18 you can't be forced to go to church and attend whatever. If you are interested you can check out my husbands website www.liberatedoflucifer.org.