• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I’m starting to doubt my faith in God. Or should I say that I am slowly losing my faith in Him. I don’t know when it started. One day when I woke up and stopped going to church. I stopped praying unless my professor assigned people to lead the prayer. I am also planning to refuse leading the prayer in class even though they assigned me. I am also dragged to go to church whenever my mom wants us to have a family day. Posts about God start to annoy me. I actually found myself rolling my eyes whenever I hear my friends talk or post about Him. I don’t know what the exact reason is. I’ve been through a lot in 2014 and I remember always praying and asking Him for guidance. I even asked him to save me and show me the light but now, I don’t think I’m asking Him again. I can’t tell my parents that I don’t want to believe in God again, they will probably be mad at me and I don’t want to be the talk of town. Every time my mom nags about me not going to church, I lie. One time I told her that I don’t have someone to come with me, but the truth is I don’t really want to go. I also remember, years ago, I love attending mass. I always pay 100% attention and cooperate but now, whenever I am dragged to attend mass, I can’t understand anything. It’s like I’m physically present but my mind is out somewhere. I attended catholic school since I want in first grade and even now in college but still, I’m having this problem. You see, this is a real big problem for me and I don’t know how long will I be like this.

A Vestigial Mote

... I am also dragged to go to church whenever my mom wants us to have a family day. Posts about God start to annoy me. I actually found myself rolling my eyes...
Under my own disposition I can only just stomach many of the mawkish, mewling exhortations that make up a lot of contemporary "worship" and prayer in Abrahamic faith services. There is some meat to be found in the sermons at times, but most of it is rooted in a pre-requisite of belief in God in the first place. "You believe, therefore what I am saying makes sense." Problem being that in any other context those parts of it don't make sense. It is actually quite freeing to come to certain realizations - accepting that those people you currently fear reprisal from hold absolutely no real sway over you. I can easily speak to a Christian, a Catholic, a Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, etc. and simply tell them the truth about my non-belief if the subject comes up, knowing full well that whatever their reaction is, they have zero capacity to "harm" me in any way, or even insult me, degrade me or upset me. I know what I feel is right for me - I'd wager I am more sure in my non-belief than most believers are sure in their belief.

So in the end I say follow what you feel. Don't try to squeeze yourself in the Catholic box if it doesn't fit right. Those that would admonish, berate, or even leave you due to your decisions in that arena are foolhardy, selfish and ignorant.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
When I attended the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses I soon learned
that prayer after the "sermons" were loooooooong.
Some lasted 15 minutes!
It was almost like a contest to see which "brother" could exhort praises
the mostest and longest.
Whew!
Please. I'm not knocking J.W's and have the greatest of respect for those
people.
And an even greater love and respect for Jehovah.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I’m starting to doubt my faith in God. Or should I say that I am slowly losing my faith in Him. I don’t know when it started. One day when I woke up and stopped going to church. I stopped praying unless my professor assigned people to lead the prayer. I am also planning to refuse leading the prayer in class even though they assigned me. I am also dragged to go to church whenever my mom wants us to have a family day. Posts about God start to annoy me. I actually found myself rolling my eyes whenever I hear my friends talk or post about Him. I don’t know what the exact reason is. I’ve been through a lot in 2014 and I remember always praying and asking Him for guidance. I even asked him to save me and show me the light but now, I don’t think I’m asking Him again. I can’t tell my parents that I don’t want to believe in God again, they will probably be mad at me and I don’t want to be the talk of town. Every time my mom nags about me not going to church, I lie. One time I told her that I don’t have someone to come with me, but the truth is I don’t really want to go. I also remember, years ago, I love attending mass. I always pay 100% attention and cooperate but now, whenever I am dragged to attend mass, I can’t understand anything. It’s like I’m physically present but my mind is out somewhere. I attended catholic school since I want in first grade and even now in college but still, I’m having this problem. You see, this is a real big problem for me and I don’t know how long will I be like this.
One thing I would suggest is reading about non-religious things that promote the positive ideas that we are more than the physical. Things like Near Death Experiences, experiences of departed loved ones, etc.. I don't want you to fall into atheism. I was raised Catholic but now have more expansive spiritual views and am very content and happy with them. You may consider that you can still put on the façade of Catholicism for the love and unity with your friends and family but internally harbor some different views. That is really not hypocritical but actually an act of love for them.

Demonslayer

I’m starting to doubt my faith in God. Or should I say that I am slowly losing my faith in Him. I don’t know when it started. One day when I woke up and stopped going to church. I stopped praying unless my professor assigned people to lead the prayer. I am also planning to refuse leading the prayer in class even though they assigned me. I am also dragged to go to church whenever my mom wants us to have a family day. Posts about God start to annoy me. I actually found myself rolling my eyes whenever I hear my friends talk or post about Him. I don’t know what the exact reason is. I’ve been through a lot in 2014 and I remember always praying and asking Him for guidance. I even asked him to save me and show me the light but now, I don’t think I’m asking Him again. I can’t tell my parents that I don’t want to believe in God again, they will probably be mad at me and I don’t want to be the talk of town. Every time my mom nags about me not going to church, I lie. One time I told her that I don’t have someone to come with me, but the truth is I don’t really want to go. I also remember, years ago, I love attending mass. I always pay 100% attention and cooperate but now, whenever I am dragged to attend mass, I can’t understand anything. It’s like I’m physically present but my mind is out somewhere. I attended catholic school since I want in first grade and even now in college but still, I’m having this problem.

Congratulations, you may be ready to finally shed the bogus concept of God your family and others have forced upon you your whole life. There isn't anything wrong with you, you don't have to stay religious just because you were raised that way and your family is religious.

You see, this is a real big problem for me and I don’t know how long will I be like this.

Embrace it. If you no longer believe in God, so be it, who cares? There are millions of people who don't believe in God and living wonderful lives, myself included.

If you shed any guilt you have over and just understand that what happened to you is very natural, it won't be a problem. A lot of people grow out of their belief in a literal God. Particularly Catholics for some reason I've found. (I was baptized and confirmed a Catholic, and lost belief in God same as you.) There is a whole category of "lapsed Catholics" out there. Read up on it, it may comfort you to realize there are millions of people that have had your exact experience.

There is no God, after all. Not anything like the one you learned about growing up, anyway. You're only reacting to what your naturally feeling. My advice would be not to force the shoe of religion on your foot if it no longer fits. Why would you? It's your life, not your family's. You are free to believe what you want, and can't force yourself to believe things you don't anyway. If you really don't believe anymore you can either admit it, or lie about it. I suggest the former.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Congratulations, you may be ready to finally shed the bogus concept of God your family and others have forced upon you your whole life. There isn't anything wrong with you, you don't have to stay religious just because you were raised that way and your family is religious.

Embrace it. If you no longer believe in God, so be it, who cares? There are millions of people who don't believe in God and living wonderful lives, myself included.

If you shed any guilt you have over and just understand that what happened to you is very natural, it won't be a problem. A lot of people grow out of their belief in a literal God. Particularly Catholics for some reason I've found. (I was baptized and confirmed a Catholic, and lost belief in God same as you.) There is a whole category of "lapsed Catholics" out there. Read up on it, it may comfort you to realize there are millions of people that have had your exact experience.

There is no God, after all. Not anything like the one you learned about growing up, anyway. You're only reacting to what your naturally feeling. My advice would be not to force the shoe of religion on your foot if it no longer fits. Why would you? It's your life, not your family's. You are free to believe what you want, and can't force yourself to believe things you don't anyway. If you really don't believe anymore you can either admit it, or lie about it. I suggest the former.

This is undoubtedly an option.

But, there's another way, you know. You can believe and still live like there are no Gods.

I do. Because I really ****ing hate being wrong, but I also hate being told what to do. So I get to stroke my ego and still do what I want. It's a perfectly serviceable way of life.

Demonslayer

You can believe and still live like there are no Gods.

Are you saying you can believe in Gods but live like there are none? That confuses me.

First point first, I believe JustAnotherLostSoul was saying he or she does NOT believe in God any more. I could be wrong about that.

But to your comment, if you believe God(s) exists, wouldn't living like God didn't exist cause a lot of angst? For example if I thought God was real and could send people to hell for sinning, I sure wouldn't want to spend time sinning (living like there was no God) because the whole time I'd be thinking "what the hell am I doing, I could burn for this!"

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Are you saying you can believe in Gods but live like there are none? That confuses me.

First point first, I believe JustAnotherLostSoul was saying he or she does NOT believe in God any more. I could be wrong about that.

But to your comment, if you believe God(s) exists, wouldn't living like God didn't exist cause a lot of angst? For example if I thought God was real and could send people to hell for sinning, I sure wouldn't want to spend time sinning (living like there was no God) because the whole time I'd be thinking "what the hell am I doing, I could burn for this!"
Different gods. The AEsir aren't going to make me lose any sleep.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm Lost[/SIZE]
No, its ok, you're doing fine. Just keep heading straight until you hit the three way intersection. Take a left, but bear right until you pass under the over pass. Continue for about 3 miles, until you hit exit 43. You're going to want to get off the exit there and take your first right, then an immediate left (before the light). Keep going until you hit the main road and take a right onto it. After about 4 blocks, there's a roundabout. Take the third exit off it then drive straight for 3/4 of a mile. When you see the weird, I don't know what it is, looks like a gingerbread doghouse for birds or something. So when you see that on your left, there'll be a little dirt road on your right in another 100 feet. Don't turn onto that, but the next one, 3 blocks later. Once your on that dirt road, well I guess its a path really, follow it really, until the end. If you see those big smokestacks then you'll know you're going the right way. But if you pass the electric fence with the big 51 on it, then you know you went too far and turned at the wrong state. So anyways, at the end of the dirt road, you should be able to merge back onto the highway. Don't do that though, because that won't take you to where you're going. Instead, follow the shoulder of the road until you get to the exit. Turn off there and go until you hit the intersection. Swing a U-turn, and follow the road back in the direction you became, but don't turn off for the highway. When you see the gas station on your right, cut through it to the other side and take a left. Drive for about 35 minutes. You're there!

Demonslayer

No, its ok, you're doing fine. Just keep heading straight until you hit the three way intersection. Take a left, but bear right until you pass under the over pass. Continue for about 3 miles, until you hit exit 43. You're going to want to get off the exit there and take your first right, then an immediate left (before the light). Keep going until you hit the main road and take a right onto it. After about 4 blocks, there's a roundabout. Take the third exit off it then drive straight for 3/4 of a mile. When you see the weird, I don't know what it is, looks like a gingerbread doghouse for birds or something. So when you see that on your left, there'll be a little dirt road on your right in another 100 feet. Don't turn onto that, but the next one, 3 blocks later. Once your on that dirt road, well I guess its a path really, follow it really, until the end. If you see those big smokestacks then you'll know you're going the right way. But if you pass the electric fence with the big 51 on it, then you know you went too far and turned at the wrong state. So anyways, at the end of the dirt road, you should be able to merge back onto the highway. Don't do that though, because that won't take you to where you're going. Instead, follow the shoulder of the road until you get to the exit. Turn off there and go until you hit the intersection. Swing a U-turn, and follow the road back in the direction you became, but don't turn off for the highway. When you see the gas station on your right, cut through it to the other side and take a left. Drive for about 35 minutes. You're there!

"RECALCULATING"

s**t!

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
No! Don't ever take directions from a Jew! I know how this ends, and it involves having a hat and missing part of your genitals, IT ISN'T WORTH IT!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why try to fight a natural disposition? Live and learn, observe, question everything.

You're lost? Maybe everyone else is lost, and you've got it right.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Approaching things critically and not accepting things at face value, weighing in with your experiences and judging for yourself is not problematic when you think about it.

I would just use critical thinking to develop pragmatic courses of action to take in addressing your concerns in a way so that it causes little friction as possible without compromising your own personal convictions and direction while staying compassionate.

The adage, "Truth will set you free."
can certainly be taken in more ways than one. ;0)