• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're baptized as a baby, do you need to be baptized as an adult?

Deidre

Just curious on something. I was baptized in the Catholic Church as a baby, but when I left Christianity a few years ago and returned to over a year ago, I feel like my faith is different for me, now. Like I ''own'' it, like it is truly a representative part of my life, without all the nonsense I had been indoctrinated to believe, growing up. Talking with a friend recently, she said that it would be good to be baptized again, because as a baby, we don't have the ability to offer our consent, but as adults, we do.

What do you think? For those who have been baptized as infants, did you go through another baptism when you were ''born again?''

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The Catholic Church only recognizes 1 baptism for Adults they have confirmation, whereas, you confirm your original baptism.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Just curious on something. I was baptized in the Catholic Church as a baby, but when I left Christianity a few years ago and returned to over a year ago, I feel like my faith is different for me, now. Like I ''own'' it, like it is truly a representative part of my life, without all the nonsense I had been indoctrinated to believe, growing up. Talking with a friend recently, she said that it would be good to be baptized again, because as a baby, we don't have the ability to offer our consent, but as adults, we do.

What do you think? For those who have been baptized as infants, did you go through another baptism when you were ''born again?''

Deidre,

The feelings and faith you have now, did you have them while an infant?

So why consider infant baptism as a true baptism? A water baptism is a public professions of trust in Jesus Christ to the public, it is a witness. Obey God for baptism as an adult and watch as your faith and witness boldly grows!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So why consider infant baptism as a true baptism? A water baptism is a public professions of trust in Jesus Christ to the public, it is a witness.
Just a brief explanation that in Catholicism, baptism is normally followed by confirmation, so that profession of faith is indeed there if one does both.

Since this is a DIR, I'll refrain from any further comment on this.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you can let your first baptism stand, unless it is an issue for other people. If it is an issue where someone is telling you your first baptism is not good enough then go ahead and get baptized, but you do not need to.

There is an oldish text called the Didache that appears to recount what some early Christian writers think about baptism and what kind of water to use, but what it is really is commenting upon is how a Christian ought to live and whether to keep the Torah. They comment "For if thou art able to bear the whole yoke of the Lord, thou shalt be perfect; but if thou art not able, do that which thou art able." (Didache 6:3) They use baptism as their example. They say if you can get cold running water then use that for baptism, but if not then prefer cold water that is still and if that is not available then warm water and if even that is not available then pour water over the head of the person. The procedure of baptism already differs from the way Mikvas are done and is only done once instead of with regularity. The thing that the Didache shows here is that it is not the water that baptizes.

Anyway I would not consider it an authoritative text but it is a short and interesting read: Didache. The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (translation J. B. Lightfoot).

David1967

Premium Member

Hi Deidre! This is my opinion. Becoming a Christian is an act of choice. An infant being Baptized is not their choice. To me, for the act of Baptism to be meaningful it should likewise be a matter of choice by the one being Baptized. I do not however believe that Baptism is necessary to become a Christian. (Example: The thief on the cross was not Baptized, yet was promised Paradise by Jesus). So IMHO, infant Baptism is more the parents dedicating the child where Baptism as an adult is a personal profession of faith. So that being said, If you feel you should be Baptized again, then I see nothing wrong with that.

Deidre

Hi Deidre! This is my opinion. Becoming a Christian is an act of choice. An infant being Baptized is not their choice. To me, for the act of Baptism to be meaningful it should likewise be a matter of choice by the one being Baptized. I do not however believe that Baptism is necessary to become a Christian. (Example: The thief on the cross was not Baptized, yet was promised Paradise by Jesus). So IMHO, infant Baptism is more the parents dedicating the child where Baptism as an adult is a personal profession of faith. So that being said, If you feel you should be Baptized again, then I see nothing wrong with that.

Thank you for this, David! Do you think it's necessary, though?

Deidre

Oops, sorry - I forgot I posted this in two spots. lol Let's stick with the one in the other section. lol Thanks :)

David1967

Premium Member
Thank you for this, David! Do you think it's necessary, though?

Necessary ? No. But that is my opinion. John 3:16 states that belief is the necessary element of salvation. Baptism to me, is more of a public testimony of the faith that you have already embraced. There is nothing magical in the water. If you feel that you should be baptized again, that is fine, just don't think that your relationship with God depends on it.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Deidre,

Your first baptism was a religious ritual but not a biblical baptism. A baby's parents can make a profession of faith (as at a Catholic infant's baptism) but only you can make a public profession of your Christian faith. An infant cannot.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Necessary ? No. But that is my opinion. John 3:16 states that belief is the necessary element of salvation. Baptism to me, is more of a public testimony of the faith that you have already embraced. There is nothing magical in the water. If you feel that you should be baptized again, that is fine, just don't think that your relationship with God depends on it.

I appreciate your stance, and that of others. But baptism as a believer is a step of obedience, although, as you wrote, not salvific. It's a great witness and I've seen dozens, even hundreds of adult believers, walk in this step of obedience. They grow like weeds in the faith after the baptism!

Heim

I was baptised as an infant into the Roman Catholic Church. Even though I formally left the church, I still accept the symbolic value of the sacrament. Having another baptism would make sense to me though, should I have the wish to rededicate or something, but I wouldn't think of it as necessary.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO, it is a personal choice. If you feel that is necessary to be baptized again as an adult after having returned to Christianity, then by all means, do it. If you don't feel it is necessary, then don't. It's about what you feel is right and what you are comfortable with, not what anyone else here, Christian or otherwise, feels is correct.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

In Scripture, since a person needs to repent, and make a dedication to God, before baptism, then there is No valid infant baptism in Christianity. So, a repentant person of age who can make a dedication to God is a candidate for baptism or immersion. So, yes, anyone baptized as an infant would have to have another, so to speak, baptism.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Yes, belief is necessary, and having belief in what Jesus taught would be what is necessary.
To me, belief in baptism is part of Jesus' instructions at Matthew 28:18-20 to bring people to the point of baptism.
Peter said to repent and be baptized at Acts of the Apostles 2:37-38, then one would receive God's spirit.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
IMO, it is a personal choice. If you feel that is necessary to be baptized again as an adult after having returned to Christianity, then by all means, do it. If you don't feel it is necessary, then don't. It's about what you feel is right and what you are comfortable with, not what anyone else here, Christian or otherwise, feels is correct.

In Scripture, Christians do Not base their beliefs on feeling, but guidance as found in Scripture - Psalms 119:105
Christians are taught the heart (feelings) is treacherous - Jeremiah 17:9; Jeremiah 10:23
Our imperfect heart-felt feelings is like having a traitor within us.
First we're prompted to do something, then after we do it our treacherous heart-felt feelings gives us all the reasons why we should not have done what we did in the first place.
We can also be 'comfortable' because of a faulty conscience which can either ' excuse ' or ' accuse ' one's actions.
So, Christian baptism is based on accurate knowledge of Scripture as Jesus' instructed - Matthew 28:18-20

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In Scripture, Christians do Not base their beliefs on feeling, but guidance as found in Scripture - Psalms 119:105
Christians are taught the heart (feelings) is treacherous - Jeremiah 17:9; Jeremiah 10:23
Our imperfect heart-felt feelings is like having a traitor within us.
First we're prompted to do something, then after we do it our treacherous heart-felt feelings gives us all the reasons why we should not have done what we did in the first place.
We can also be 'comfortable' because of a faulty conscience which can either ' excuse ' or ' accuse ' one's actions.
So, Christian baptism is based on accurate knowledge of Scripture as Jesus' instructed - Matthew 28:18-20

I agree with you that Christians are taught to follow scripture. But for my own education, please share with me the book and verse(s) in Scripture that outlines the Law referenced in Psalms 119, specifically the one that prescribes the age in which one is required to be baptized.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I agree with you that Christians are taught to follow scripture. But for my own education, please share with me the book and verse(s) in Scripture that outlines the Law referenced in Psalms 119, specifically the one that prescribes the age in which one is required to be baptized.

Psalms 119:105 specifies using Scripture as guidance as does 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
If you are looking for a specific verse that prescribes the age for water baptism you will not find it.
However, since Penetcost it's only repenting, dedicating people who were baptised,
Very young minors do not make such dedications.
Even those who underwent John the baptizer's baptism later underwent Christian baptism.
- Acts of the Apostles 18:24-26; Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7
So, Christian baptism requires an understanding of Scripture before baptism.
- Acts of the Apostles 2:41; Acts of the Apostles 3:19 to 4:4; Acts of the Apostles 10:34-38
Those in Samaria first believed what Philip said before baptism - Acts of the Apostles 8:12
Acts of the Apostles 8:34-36
Everyone must first put faith in Jesus before baptism - Acts of the Apostles 10:35; Acts of the Apostles 10:43
Acts of the Apostles 11:18
It is only in accord with Jesus' example and command to submit to water baptism - Matthew 3:13-15;
Matthew 28:18-20
An infant can Not embrace the word's of Jesus - Acts of the Apostles 2:14, 22, 38, 41.
However, men and women can embrace Jesus' teachings - Acts of the Apostles 8:12

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

What is the purpose of Baptism?

I see Baptism as a promise to god.
When an infant or baby is baptized, the promise to god is from the parents that they will bring the child up in god.
So in my opinion, a baby/infant Baptism is still a promise, but not one made by the baby/infant.