• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you think you smart you are an ignorant idiot

sovietchild

Do you see any truth in this statement, "If you think you smart you are an ignorant idiot."? Please.
Regards.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Intelligent people usually do acknowledge that they have much to learn. Sometimes that act is an acknowledgment of not being "smart." People who think they are smart may fall into the Dunning-Kruger effect. In essence, they overestimate their own ability.
So I guess so?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Generally speaking, the more you know, the less certain you are of what you know, and the less you know you know.

I think it's false humility to put yourself down (except perhaps for humorous reasons). I prefer the ancient Greek view that true humility comes from claiming your due, no more, and no less than your due. And that claiming more is arrogance, and claiming less is false humility.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I think its similar to the 'log and speck' saying of Jesus.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:3-5

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Do you see any truth in this statement, "If you think you smart you are an ignorant idiot."? Please.
Regards.

I think we should distinguish between native intelligence (i.e. "smart"), and amount of education. A person can be quite smart and also ignorant, due to a lack of educational opportunities.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would like to take the unorthodox interpretation of:

You either know you're stupid
or
You think you are smart but you are actually stupid

Seems more realistic to me.

Everyone -- no matter how smart they are -- makes stupid mistakes from time to time. That's just human nature.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Regards.

No, you should think you are smart. You should believe you are smart enough to learn, smart enough to take care of yourself. If you are telling others how smart you are then you maybe less smart than you think.

siti

There's an old rhyme variously attributed to ancient Persian, Arabic, Sanskrit, Chinese etc. origins:

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.

But isn't it also true that a wise person is always a student...so maybe being 'smart' is more about knowing how little you know than knowing how much you know...

...so I reckon (duly noting the OPs attribution*) the author of the 'proverb' in the OP was merely using a kind of reverse psychology to persuade others of his own smartness - smart move!?

*"If you think you smart you are an ignorant idiot." - Prophet Muhammad

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards.

No. If someone is smart, I commend their effort and determination to attain knowledge and do as they do based on their knoweldge. That sounds like a "inherited sin" statement. I never believed that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like to learn, and I can learn. I think I have good powers of observation and analysis (I'm a computer analyst, after all), but on the whole, in reality, I think I'm pretty stupid. :(

David T

Premium Member
Intelligent people usually do acknowledge that they have much to learn. Sometimes that act is an acknowledgment of not being "smart." People who think they are smart may fall into the Dunning-Kruger effect. In essence, they overestimate their own ability.
So I guess so?
It's like the scientist who developed the theory of mistakes neurologically, backed up his claims empirically only to discover his theory fell prey to his own theory. The evidence was shown to be bogus.