• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you see a miracle, will you then believe?

Yerda

Veteran Member
If someone came to you and told you that God exists and you should follow
some instructions in order to be safe in the afterlife, and if it happened that you
asked him for a proof for God's existence and he showed you one such as
healing a blind man and letting him to see.

Will you believe that God exists if you know that the miracle was real or you'll still disbelieve?
I don't know how I would react if I witnessed a miracle but it would certainly get my attention.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If someone comes to you and performs a real miracle and cure a blind, but tells you, this is my own power, there is no God, and Quran is a false book, would you believe him, if the miracle is real?
The same with you example. Suppose the miracle was real, but it was not really God who did it, but the person had some special power to do the miracle, but falsely claiming it was God who did it. How do you know this is not possible?

A believer (me in your assumption) I am not asking for a proof to confirm that God exists
but it's usually the atheists looking for a proof that God exists, if not a miracle then what
kind of proof they're looking for?

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
What God? There are so many.

ciao

- viole
heh heh :) The only one, even if there are "1,000 faces" as some thinkers have written it. Many sides of the same thing, if you prefer. It makes sense of course that many attempts to put a face on the ineffable would result in various appearances, as that ineffable might not chose to be captured or reduced so easily, might have other plans and such.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
heh heh :) The only one, even if there are "1,000 faces" as some thinkers have written it. Many sides of the same thing, if you prefer. It makes sense of course that many attempts to put a face on the ineffable would result in various appearances, as that ineffable might not chose to be captured or reduced so easily, might have other plans and such.
You mean the God who orders humans should be divided in castes at birth, or the god that says all humans are equal at birth?

Is classifying humans vs. not classifying them, just a different face of the same god?

ciao

- viole

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, but I can see a straw man.

StrawMan2.jpg

My point was that your 'all powerful' God didn't (or couldn't) show himself to provide evidence that he performed the miracle. Stop misrepresenting my argument with pointless questions.

And I said you don't need to see the electromagnetic waves to notice its power.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, it is not enough to show this miracle. But, if I investigate about this person, and found that he is a righteous and upright person, has wisdom above regular human, and has great teachings for betterment, and is also willing to sacrifice his own life for humanity, then I believe him. But if someone just shows miracles, and is not righteous and does not have good teachings, then I don't believe him.

Many persons may look righteous and they're evils, in all faiths you'll find
righteous people doing bad things such as raping, child abuse ....etc

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
And I said you don't need to see the electromagnetic waves to notice its power.

Yeah, you see? That really has nothing to do with the topic. Why are you trying to derail your own thread with discussion about types of energy not visible to the naked eye?

Let's pick this up again when electromagnetic waves start performing miracles.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Yeah, you see? That really has nothing to do with the topic. Why are you trying to derail your own thread with discussion about types of energy not visible to the naked eye?

Let's pick this up again when electromagnetic waves start performing miracles.

These were your words
No, such a miracle would prove nothing to me unless your God himself came to me with the blind man, introduced himself as FearGod’s God

PureX

Veteran Member
Because I don't believe in miracles, everything has an explanation.
Even if something does not have an explanation, that still wouldn't mean the explanation is "God". It just means there is no discernible explanation.

I understand that "God" is the 'great mystery of being'. And that as such we rightly attribute the unknown and unknowable to this great mystery. But I think we need to be careful not to then turn around and pretend to ourselves that we have resolved the mystery simply because we've labeled it "God". Attributing a mystery (miracle) to God resolves nothing. Tells us nothing. The mystery remains.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
some instructions in order to be safe in the afterlife, and if it happened that you

Will you believe that God exists if you know that the miracle was real or you'll still disbelieve?
Can you step us through the thought process that would get you from "a blind person has been healed" to "so God must exist?"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I've had miracles for sure. I concider it rare and valuable gifts of the universe. I dont see it as proof or evidence of any specific God though in light that all theology is sourced to humans alone and nowhere else. God in the conventional sense of the term just isn't there.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Can you step us through the thought process that would get you from "a blind person has been healed" to "so God must exist?"

My assumption that he's healed by no method, by no medicine, by unseen power,
if not the power of the creator then which kind of power that can heal a blind person?