• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you see a miracle, will you then believe?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If someone came to you and told you that God exists and you should follow
some instructions in order to be safe in the afterlife, and if it happened that you
asked him for a proof for God's existence and he showed you one such as
healing a blind man and letting him to see.

Will you believe that God exists if you know that the miracle was real or you'll still disbelieve?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Still disbelieve (in the messenger that is).

We're told not to go after people who try to change the law and tell us to worship others gods, miracle or no.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's pretty unlikely a single miracle would convince me of anything. Main rationale would be;

'Why is God healing this blind man? Why not all blind people?'

Ultimately an omnipotent God would have no trouble convincing me He exists if he so wanted. If he doesn't want to, then fair enough. That's His choice. But showing me a little evidence, but not enough to convince me seems needlessly obtuse.

I'd suspect a trick.

PureX

Veteran Member
some instructions in order to be safe in the afterlife, and if it happened that you

Will you believe that God exists if you know that the miracle was real or you'll still disbelieve?
If God were hovering in front of me right this minute, in a blinding blaze of glory, and telling me that 'He' is God, how would I know it was God? How would I know it wasn't some advanced alien being presenting itself to me in the way it thinks I would best be able to grasp it's presence? How would I know it was not some sort of clever human magician's trick? How would I know that it was not an elaborate illusion being created for me inside my own mind? How would I know that instead of God, it wasn't some clever demon posing as God, so as to trick me?

I can think of no possible test I could perform, or feat I could demand, that would exclude ANY of these other possibilities. So for me, it always ends up being my choice: to trust in the ideal, as represented by whatever image I find available to me, or not to. It always comes down to faith. Not miracles.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It's pretty unlikely a single miracle would convince me of anything. Main rationale would be;

'Why is God healing this blind man? Why not all blind people?'

Ultimately an omnipotent God would have no trouble convincing me He exists if he so wanted. If he doesn't want to, then fair enough. That's His choice. But showing me a little evidence, but not enough to convince me seems needlessly obtuse.

I'd suspect a trick.

Atheists used to ask for approval that God exists, what kind of approval
that may works other than showing a miracle?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If God were hovering in front of me right this minute, in a blinding blaze of glory, and telling me that 'He' is God, how would I know it was God? How would I know it wasn't some advanced alien being presenting itself to me in the way it thinks I would best be able to grasp it's presence? How would I know it was not some sort of clever human magician's trick? How would I know that it was not an elaborate illusion being created for me inside my own mind? How would I know that instead of God, it wasn't some clever demon posing as God, so as to trick me?

I can think of not possible test I could perform, or feat I could demand, that would exclude ANY of these other possibilities. So for me, it always ends up being my choice: to trust in the ideal, as represented by whatever image I find available to me, or not to.

Is it like you'll make any excuse as not to believe regardless of any proof?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

If three days later that blind man told everyone that he was faking his blindness because that same someone promised him $100 000, would YOU still believe?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Which God?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheists used to ask for approval that God exists, what kind of approval
that may works other than showing a miracle?

Some atheists may, but I don't. God can do as He wills. I simply make my judgements on what I believe to be true. I may be wrong, but if so it's an honest mistake.

God can easily perform a miracle which would convince me of his presence. Imagine if all Qurans across the globe started glowing, and became indestructible? Or the clouds formed the words to an Islamic Prayer? It's simple enough. But I don't mean to suggest I'm demanding anything of God. I'm not. He may do as He wills. I can only base my thoughts on what I'm aware of and believe to be true.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If three days later that blind man told everyone that he was faking his blindness because that same someone promised him $100 000, would YOU still believe?

I assumed that you were sure about the blind person and you were sure
that the miracle was real, will you then believe.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Firstly, I would doubt what I saw.
Secondly, I'd look for a scientific explanation
Thirdly, I'd ask if any one else saw it.
Finally, if no answer was forthcoming, I'd return to my first assumption.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Some atheists may, but I don't. God can do as He wills. I simply make my judgements on what I believe to be true. I may be wrong, but if so it's an honest mistake.

God can easily perform a miracle which would convince me of his presence. Imagine if all Qurans across the globe started glowing, and became indestructible? Or the clouds formed the words to an Islamic Prayer? It's simple enough. But I don't mean to suggest I'm demanding anything of God. I'm not. He may do as He wills. I can only base my thoughts on what I'm aware of and believe to be true.

IOW, you won't follow God's message regardless of knowing that he exists or not.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You didn't answer my question. I assumed you watched the chap declare it was a fake. Knowing it was fake, would you still believe?

Why I have to believe if I know it was fake, but I assumed that you
were sure that the miracle was true and not fake, will you believe then?

MNoBody

miracles, are no proof on their own, just a display of power.
apparently some can work the impossible, but that doesn't mean they have or know Love.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Firstly, I would doubt what I saw.
Secondly, I'd look for a scientific explanation
Thirdly, I'd ask if any one else saw it.
Finally, if no answer was forthcoming, I'd return to my first assumption.

Miracles don't have scientific explanations, if you saw the miracle yourself
then why you need to ask the others about it?