• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is only matter ....

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because the way you put it in the first comment of yours, did make it totally wrong.
Nope, that would be an understanding from a theistic or non materialistic perspective, nothing wrong about it.
What you aren't agreeing with is what materialism is, how it manifests, things like that.
• so, at first
Materialism means all there is, is material, or, the value of material above all else.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Nope, that would be an understanding from a theistic or non materialistic perspective, nothing wrong about it.
What you aren't agreeing with is what materialism is, how it manifests, things like that.
• so, at first
Materialism means all there is, is material, or, the value of material above all else.
Well since i am not a materialist i might mist your point then :)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What other goal can there conceivably be in life other than the accumulation of material goods?

Wise materialists will work hard to accumulate material ultimates, the fundamental un-analysable material entities. Common folks like us will tend to accumulate iPhones or cars created by Elon Musk or some such things.

If you were a materialist, what would you accumulate?

Even then, I don't see there would be any particular need to accumulate things or even have any kind of "goal" in life at all.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What other goal can there conceivably be in life other than the accumulation of material goods?

Wise materialists will work hard to accumulate material ultimates, the fundamental un-analysable material entities. Common folks like us will tend to accumulate iPhones or cars created by Elon Musk or some such things.

Why should accumulation be a goal? What's so special about accumulation?

Even for a materialist, what is is.

PS: My questions are, indeed, rhetorical.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I suppose our earliest ancestors didn't have this problem - not even postulating anything other than their material existence - so just surviving was enough for them. We have many more possibilities - if we are not burdened with the many suppositions that we call religion - but perhaps that is a task too heavy for many. That is, what our destiny should be (true freedom perhaps?). Materialism is and always has been overrated - and seldom leads to happiness (or even contentment) according to some evidence.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Huh. Is happiness a material? Since you say there is nothing beyond the material?
Materialisitically speaking, happiness is not an entity, it is a symbolic interpretation made to convey an emotional state. To make it an entity is to reify it.

atanu

Premium Member
Even then, I don't see there would be any particular need to accumulate things or even have any kind of "goal" in life at all.

I hear that a lot. Do you not like to be delighted time to time — or at all times?

atanu

Premium Member
Why should accumulation be a goal? What's so special about accumulation?

Even for a materialist, what is is.

PS: My questions are, indeed, rhetorical.

Materialisitically speaking, happiness is not an entity, it is a symbolic interpretation made to convey an emotional state. To make it an entity is to reify it.

Suppose for even a materialist too, happiness is the goal. So, what kind of material accumulation (or disbursal, perhaps) will provide that?

Milton Platt

which definition are you using here?

1. 1.
    a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.
    "they hated the sinful materialism of the wicked city"
  2. 2.
    PHILOSOPHY
    the doctrine that nothing exists except matter and its movements and modifications.

atanu

Premium Member
which definition are you using here?

1. 1.
    a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.
    "they hated the sinful materialism of the wicked city"
  2. 2.
    PHILOSOPHY
    the doctrine that nothing exists except matter and its movements and modifications.

The latter. The OP asks “If there is only matter what goal can there conceivably be in life other than the accumulation of material goods?”

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
So, you're saying the only delights in one's life come from the accumulation of things?

I am not saying that. I asked in the OP “If there is only matter, what goal can there conceivably be in life other than the accumulation of material goods?”

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not saying that. I asked in the OP “If there is only matter what goal can there conceivably be in life other than the accumulation of material goods?”

The accumulation of knowledge, perhaps? Experience. The delight of eating chocolate ice cream. That's not a thing to accumulate (although some might keep a few extra gallons in the basement freezer just in case of a zombie apocalypse).

atanu

Premium Member
The accumulation of knowledge, perhaps? Experience. The delight of eating chocolate ice cream. That's not a thing to accumulate (although some might keep a few extra gallons in the basement freezer just in case of a zombie apocalypse).

Except the ice cream, none of the above is material. Even fondness for ice cream is for sensual delight.

So, if matter is the ultimate truth and we are nothing but arrangements of matter, why we have wishes that are mental-phenomenal?

Last edited:

Milton Platt

What goal can there conceivably be in life other than the accumulation of material goods?

Whatever seemed wise or useful.

atanu

Premium Member
Materialism is and always has been overrated - and seldom leads to happiness (or even contentment) according to some evidence.

I agree.

The accumulation of knowledge, perhaps? Experience.

Whatever seemed wise or useful.

Why, as materialists, both of you wish for ‘knowledge’ or ‘wisdom’ ? If matter is all there is, why should one wish for wisdom? If material arrangements and interactions engender all our mental-phenomenal qualities, why do we wish for a created effect?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I agree.

Why, as materialists, both of you wish for ‘knowledge’ or ‘wisdom’ ? If matter is all there is, why should one wish for wisdom? If material arrangements and interactions engender all our mental-phenomenal qualities, why do we wish for a created effect?

Do you think someone who creates a sandcastle on the beach only to have it destroyed by the next tide has been wasting their time? There are many things that we do that do not relate to materialism in any way - playing games, climbing mountains, producing art, etc., and they still might describe themselves as essentially materialist in nature - that is, without any spiritual or religious belief. Blame evolution for our fickle natures.