• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Religion Doesn't Make You a Better Person...

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Sunstone,

If Religion Doesn't Make You a Better Person...
If a religion doesn't make you a better person, then what good can it be?

It atleast makes keeps me away for sullying the environment by negative thoughts and deeds!

Love & rgds

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Anyone can say they follow a faith, but if they don't follow a faith's teachings, then it will not do them any good. In Christianity, it is easy to memorize verses and a bit harder to actually put those teachings into practice. (the memorization of verses is annoying to me, I would rather people be taught how not to judge, how to love their neighbors and so on.)

J Bryson

I suppose that it might have to do with how you define "better person". I've known people to become totally insufferable by my standards after converting to some path or another, but those with whom they shared this path found them to be much better people than previously.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Just to be clear, you're acknowledging that religion could make someone a better person (i.e., the kind of person who treats other people better, is more generous and giving of one's self, etc.), but in some/many/most cases, religion does not do that. I see the merit in that assertion of yours. So given that premise, you're asking what else can religion offer that is "good" from someone's perspective. There are a lot of possible benefits (the applicability of each, of course, dependent on how much the person-in-question avails themselves of such benefits):

• A sense of community; a social safety-net; friendship of like-minded people; consolation and support in times of difficulty.
  • Intellectual challenge; creative expression; keeping mental acuity sharp.
  • A mental break from the routine tasks of life and work.

logician

I think a better question is on the whole, has religion been more of a benefit or a detriment to societies.

I would say the latter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Although opinions vary regarding beliefs and methods over a religion, there are some social benefits religion can provide. Social support via membership and charitable organisations come to mind. -NM-

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"Religion" isn't good AT anything. It has no motives or agency, much less skills.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Religion can be a quick and easy substitute for becoming a better person. Observe;

Step 1: I am an average, run-of-the-mill, nothing-special-about-me, person.

Step 2: I just found a tract saying that if I recite the third line of the 19th chapter in the 5th book of the Ring Trilogy I will instantly become a White Wizard and become immune to the influences of Mordor.

Step 3: Now that I am a White Wizard, it goes without saying that I am braver, wiser, more honest, and more steeped in lore than the average shmuck.

Step 4: To take it a step further, I have decided that anyone who hasn't recited the third line of the 19th chapter in the 5th book of the Ring Trilogy must be a servant of Sauron, therfore; not only am I braver, wiser, more honest, etc. than the average shmuck, I am now also Morally superior to just about anyone you can think of.

And the cool thing is; I got all this without having to do anything particularly brave, wise, honest, or moral.

Cool huh?

It may be a religion that makes you believe something that happens to you when you die so you mightn't fear death. Anyway, I'm definetly not a better person because of my religion.