• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If, it was proven beyond all doubt that a god existed. Would you worship it?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For me the question isn't really a hypothetical so I'll just tell a tale about what results from recognizing something as a deity: it depends. Recognizing something is a deity doesn't mean one actively worships that thing. As a polytheist, it's impossible to actively worship all of the gods anyway. What you do is honor different gods at appropriate times where your relationship with them seems particularly relevant or important. There may be some gods that aren't a big part of your life so you don't worship them at all. It just depends. What you worship is an articulation of your way of life and of being.

It's also worth remarking for a moment about what worship actually
is. Some folks get this caricature image in their heads of kowtowing that is just plain silly and not accurate. To worship something means to behave in a manner that acknowledges something's worth or value. That takes many forms. Sometimes it is living in accord with virtues that aligin with your gods. Sometimes it is holding a happy celebration or party. Sometimes it is giving thanks and and credit where credit is due. To use three words, worship is gratitude, humility, and happiness. The kowtowing caricature? I'd call that supplication - begging the gods. Which is... well... not part of my tradition, at any rate.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As an atheist I think this is highly unlikely but for this thought experiment, let's assume that a god has revealed themselves to the world.

Now would you worship it?
I would first need a reason. So, why should I?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why? Is there some logic or reasoning behind this? Is this an emotional argument? Just trying to follow how you got here.

I'm also curious - the OP doesn't mention the god demands worship. Is there a reason you interpreted the OP in this fashion?

If someone was worthy of worship, others would be inspired to do so on their own accord without coercion or bribery.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone was worthy of worship, others would be inspired to do so on their own accord without coercion or bribery.

I would be a fool to assume your reasons are identical to those of the person I asked, but this is an interesting way of viewing it. You and I have very different standards of what it means for something to be worthy of worship, at any rate. For me, this argument would not hold.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I would be a fool to assume your reasons are identical to those of the person I asked, but this is an interesting way of viewing it. You and I have very different standards of what it means for something to be worthy of worship, at any rate. For me, this argument would not hold.
His reasoning does line up with mine pretty well FYI.

It would depend on the god and how worship is done. I mean, if the god in question was Cthulu then no. If it was the god described in the new testament then yes because let's be serious here. An eternal afterlife of torture does not sound fun to me. If you lived under the thumb of a crazy dictator today in the real world that demanded worship or you would be tortured would you really rebel simply out of pride or personal conviction? I bet most of the people on here who said they would never worship would quickly change their minds after just a few minutes of torture. I would, just being honest. Not worshipping equals TORTURE, worshipping equals spending some time complementing someone. Everyone on these forums have been civil and respectful to someone they didn't like and respect at some point in their life without the threat of torture. Just sayin.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
I believe a benign god must be one that allows evil all the time instead of just part of the time. So for the terrorists and torturers this benign god just sits and twiddles her thumbs.

Poor choice of word on my part, but nonetheless, "benign" would do.

Honestly, I would prefer that than a God who sends a plage to wipe out a population because the King refused to "let his people go"; or sends death angels to slay all 1st born children because of the one who refused to bend to his will; or one that throws people in eternal hellfire for minute crimes; or one who wipes out an entire population, save 7, because they weren't acting like he wanted them to act; or the "one" who wrote the rules that forgiveness of sin requires a blood sacrifice ...

So while I'd prefer a more benevolent deity, a more benign one would certainly be the better choice.

Scott C.

Just one guy
As an atheist I think this is highly unlikely but for this thought experiment, let's assume that a god has revealed themselves to the world.

I couldn't bring myself to do so; I'd be happy to say thanks for what I have but regularly get on my knees and give thanks, NO!

Thoughts.

I'm not an atheist so I don't know if you want me to respond. I can't see myself worshiping an "it", as you said in your question. God needs to be far more personal and relatable than an "it". God identifies himself as "Father", which is who he is, and which is far more than an "it'. I say this because I honestly believe that when atheists meet their Maker and when we all meet our Maker, we will immediately see him for who and what he is, which is not an "it". We will see him as our Eternal Father. His glory, brilliance, intelligence, and love will be so powerful and so overwhelming and so obvious that I believe only the very hardest of hearts will not freely worship. And by worship, I mean love. I mean respect. I mean gratitude. I mean a humble desire to be like him.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm not an atheist so I don't know if you want me to respond. I can't see myself worshiping an "it", as you said in your question. God needs to be far more personal and relatable than an "it". God identifies himself as "Father", which is who he is, and which is far more than an "it'. I say this because I honestly believe that when atheists meet their Maker and when we all meet our Maker, we will immediately see him for who and what he is, which is not an "it". We will see him as our Eternal Father. His glory, brilliance, intelligence, and love will be so powerful and so overwhelming and so obvious that I believe only the very hardest of hearts will not freely worship. And by worship, I mean love. I mean respect. I mean gratitude. I mean a humble desire to be like him.
You only believe in one god as described in your scriptures. I called it 'IT' to allow for other possibilities.
"His glory, brilliance, intelligence, and love will be so powerful and so overwhelming and so obvious that I believe only the very hardest of hearts will not freely worship." - why the earthquakes, childhood cancer, famines, etc. if he's so benevolent? At least we'll be able to ask him.

If it were one of those heaven and hell Gods and he made it known that not worshipping him would mean an eternity having my skin boiled off by molten lava then of course I would.

I'm not a big fan of eternal torment, and I'll bet fluffy clouds are really comfy. Might bring my own music though.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If it were one of those heaven and hell Gods and he made it known that not worshipping him would mean an eternity having my skin boiled off by molten lava then of course I would.

I'm not a big fan of eternal torment, and I'll bet fluffy clouds are really comfy. Might bring my own music though.
Does someone/something that threatens you with torture deserve worship?

Ralphg

If God IS than Worshipping would be a bit silly now wouldn't it.
Why go pray in a church in for example New York if you would know He was in LA at the time.
It would make a lot more sense to just do your own thing until He himself would call upon you.

Does someone/something that threatens you with torture deserve worship?

Deserve is nothing to do with it. I'm just not a total moron.

Option 1: Endure a minor inconvenience in exchange for eternal bliss
Option 2: Forego the minor inconvenience but get brutally tortured for eternity.

Are you saying you would choose option 2?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Deserve is nothing to do with it. I'm just not a total moron.

Option 1: Endure a minor inconvenience in exchange for eternal bliss
Option 2: Forego the minor inconvenience but get brutally tortured for eternity.

Are you saying you would choose option 2?
Well my thoughts on Heaven and Hell are well documented and Heaven appears to be the worst option. Spending an eternity worshipping some Trump like creep.
No give me fire and brimstone any day. At least there will be some interesting people in hell

Scott C.

Just one guy
You only believe in one god as described in your scriptures. I called it 'IT' to allow for other possibilities.
"His glory, brilliance, intelligence, and love will be so powerful and so overwhelming and so obvious that I believe only the very hardest of hearts will not freely worship." - why the earthquakes, childhood cancer, famines, etc. if he's so benevolent? At least we'll be able to ask him.

A common opinion of atheists seems to be that the Christian God must be evil because of the pain and suffering in the world. Surely an omnipotent God has the power to stop this, so if he does not stop it, he must be evil. I have two responses to this.

1. God has revealed in scripture why there is evil and suffering. This has been discussed so much, I'm not sure I need or should take the time to go through it here. I'll just make a couple of points. Free will is essential in God's plan. That leads to evil choices and the suffering of the innocent. People also suffer as the result of a dangerous world with disease and risk, not related to evil. Life is meant to be hard. Anything bad that happens in this life will be only a blink of the eye against the backdrop of forever. Even a horrible undeserved death caused by evil or natural disaster, is as a blessed birth into the next life into the arms of loving Parents and friends. God's perspective is eternal. He tries to share his perspective in the scriptures but at times we can't see past the hear and now.

2. The poinit I was making in my last post is that no matter how convinced someone is that the Christian God, if he exists, is evil, that perception will melt away in an instant when one is actually in God's presence. The person will realize how obviously wrong he was, and the need to ask "why" might go away all together. That's how I picture such a reunion of the Eternal Father with one of his children.

Altfish

Veteran Member
A common opinion of atheists seems to be that the Christian God must be evil because of the pain and suffering in the world. Surely an omnipotent God has the power to stop this, so if he does not stop it, he must be evil. I have two responses to this.

1. God has revealed in scripture why there is evil and suffering. This has been discussed so much, I'm not sure I need or should take the time to go through it here. I'll just make a couple of points. Free will is essential in God's plan. That leads to evil choices and the suffering of the innocent. People also suffer as the result of a dangerous world with disease and risk, not related to evil. Life is meant to be hard. Anything bad that happens in this life will be only a blink of the eye against the backdrop of forever. Even a horrible undeserved death caused by evil or natural disaster, is as a blessed birth into the next life into the arms of loving Parents and friends. God's perspective is eternal. He tries to share his perspective in the scriptures but at times we can't see past the hear and now.

2. The poinit I was making in my last post is that no matter how convinced someone is that the Christian God, if he exists, is evil, that perception will melt away in an instant when one is actually in God's presence. The person will realize how obviously wrong he was, and the need to ask "why" might go away all together. That's how I picture such a reunion of the Eternal Father with one of his children.
Well I'm very happy for you that you believe that. I don't find it any where near as plausible.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

I couldn't bring myself to do so; I'd be happy to say thanks for what I have but regularly get on my knees and give thanks, NO!

Thoughts.
I don't think it would matter that much. I couldn't see an all-powerful, loving God caring whether we worship him. I would imagine God would not be that self-serving. I would just try to live my life as best I could, helping as many people as I could, thinking of others before myself, etc. I don't think worshiping God would matter all that much to God.