• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If, it was proven beyond all doubt that a god existed. Would you worship it?

Altfish

Veteran Member
As an atheist I think this is highly unlikely but for this thought experiment, let's assume that a god has revealed themselves to the world.

Now would you worship it?

I couldn't bring myself to do so; I'd be happy to say thanks for what I have but regularly get on my knees and give thanks, NO!

Thoughts.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Well in the bible, the people in heaven sing songs all day long as worship, I'm thinking they drink wine too. Sure, I can do that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've never quite understood the need for worship. No, I would not worship this supposed god and since it created me it should understand my reasoning.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
As an atheist I think this is highly unlikely but for this thought experiment, let's assume that a god has revealed themselves to the world.

Depends on which God. The God of the Bible? Certainly not. A more benign God or Goddess? Possibly.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Worship is the built-in automatic response to surpassing beauty. Or it should be. I don't mean the ritualistic and unthinking recital of words and performing of ceremonies. I mean being swept by beauty. The sense is of awe and gratitude at witnessing surpassing beauty.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I couldn't bring myself to do so; I'd be happy to say thanks for what I have but regularly get on my knees and give thanks, NO!

Thoughts.

I can't imagine this actually happening. As for "worship," I guess it depends on what form it takes. If I had been convinced beyond all doubt that I was living under a dictatorship with God as the absolute ruler, then it may turn out to be a crappy situation anyway.

On the other hand, if one could realistically hope for some sort of immediate return and response to one's prayers, then I would see no shame in getting on my knees and giving thanks. If I could say three Our Fathers and five Hail Marys and get a free condo in Hawaii, then why not?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thoughts.

Certainly atheism would be much reduced.

As to worship? Assuming this god is as claimed by the abrahamic adherents I could not lower myself to worship an entity responsible for so much death and suffering.

Yes i said responsible. What else should an omniscient, omnipotent creator/designer

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts.
What does worship involve?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare

Not likely. Nothing, not even kings and queens, not flags or holy books, definitely not god(s), should be worshiped.

If the god proves itself to be the monster portrayed in the bible, then it is not worth my acknowledgment as anything except a menace to society. If the god proves itself to be an objective, universally accepted good being, then I will at least acknowledge its presence as perhaps effectual of positive change in the world.

DavidFirth

Thoughts.

As far as I'm concerned God has revealed Himself in the person of Jesus Christ, and yes, I worship Him.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If, it was proven beyond all doubt that a god existed. Would you worship it?

I would have no inclination to worship it or anything else, where by worship I am referring to more than expressing great esteem, which I do already now with many people and don't consider it worship, but something more like self-debasement: "You are go great, compared to you I am worthless."

I suppose that's in large part due to being raised an American atheist. Americans typically don't kings or presidents. They don't respect ideas like royalty or aristocracy. All citizens are equal, at least in principle - principles that I accepted.

And atheists don't worship gods.

It's also incomprehensible that a sufficiently evolved entity would desire much less require worship. I don't want to be worshiped. People that do are closer to Trump. Trump needs worship.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
The creator of the universe, call it what you like.

The problem is, we'd have to know it's properties, it's doctrines, it's moral requirements, and it's punishments/reward system. Without that, it's nearly impossible to answer.

It's also true that if you get super specific on all of this, then it excludes all possible god concepts that don't fit the god concept your taking about, and reduces the universality of the question . . . It's kind of an impasse.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

It's the "revealed" part I am having trouble with, not the God part.

If the reason that there is something, rather than nothing, revealed Itself I wouldn't care what It wanted. I would be totally good with it, whatever it was.
It's the premise that Something that great would be interested in such obeisance that strikes me as utterly implausible.

So some human claiming to speak for God, telling me that God requires me to worship (usually in a very specific way) , isn't at all the same as "God revealed " this need on His part, but not to me.
Tom

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Thoughts.
What are we calling a God for the purposes of this thread?

I could easily drift into Shaktism even now, despite doubting the literal existence of Shakti.

But the God of Abraham / Ibrahim? I just don't see the point of even considering such worship.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Thoughts.

I believe if it were the one true God I would but any other I would not.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Worship is the built-in automatic response to surpassing beauty. Or it should be. I don't mean the ritualistic and unthinking recital of words and performing of ceremonies. I mean being swept by beauty. The sense is of awe and gratitude at witnessing surpassing beauty.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder however. What you are describing is more properly described as agape. No worship required.