• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a god created the universe...

Clara Tea

Our morals are of human origin and are not limiting to any God, if there is a god.

The bible (for example, the 10 Commandments from the old testament) tell us how to live morally (don't kill, etc). These morals are not of human origin.

Wearing clothes might be a human constraint. On the other hand, when God kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden, he made them aware of nudity. So, perhaps He (God) put the notion that they must wear clothes in their minds.

Clara Tea

I stopped reading your post at the point when you made it political.
I didn't make religion political.....the Religious Right did that. They mixed religion and politics, and the result was wars against innocent Iraqis who were not involved in terrorism, torture camps, adherence to the National Rifle Association (their enemy's list includes the pope), etc.

If this is a discussion of God adhering to his own rules, we should be aware that religions have warped God's rules to include wars and torture.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
The bible (for example, the 10 Commandments from the old testament) tell us how to live morally (don't kill, etc). These morals are not of human origin.

Wearing clothes might be a human constraint. On the other hand, when God kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden, he made them aware of nudity. So, perhaps He (God) put the notion that they must wear clothes in their minds.
There is no proof, remember Moses breaking the tablets in anger, that those commandments are of a heavenly origin.

Clara Tea

Why do you put former President Bush in almost every post you make :confused: even when it has nothing I do with politics :confused:

W. Bush "I'm fightin' evil." Apparently, the wars are crusades against Muslims. Some Muslims warped their religion to allow terrorism, and Christians have warped their religion to allow killing in wars, lies, and torture camps.

The issue of God adhering to morality is a very good one. But if man can't adhere to the same morality, and man is made in God's image, perhaps this is why God can't do it?

We Never Know

No Slack
I didn't make religion political.....the Religious Right did that. They mixed religion and politics, and the result was wars against innocent Iraqis who were not involved in terrorism, torture camps, adherence to the National Rifle Association (their enemy's list includes the pope), etc.

If this is a discussion of God adhering to his own rules, we should be aware that religions have warped God's rules to include wars and torture.

You made your post political in the first sentence.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
W. Bush "I'm fightin' evil." Apparently, the wars are crusades against Muslims. Some Muslims warped their religion to allow terrorism, and Christians have warped their religion to allow killing in wars, lies, and torture camps.

The issue of God adhering to morality is a very good one. But if man can't adhere to the same morality, and man is made in God's image, perhaps this is why God can't do it?
I understand your quest for exposing political leaders and their "evil" action. But Bush is just one of hundreds if not thousands of political figures using religion as their weapons.

As a Muslim my self, I don't blame Bush anymore. Yes He may have done stupid things. But so have many "Religious groups" done too.
Maybe war on terror was a big failure, but it did actually expose the evil too, and not only in America, but in terror cells around the world.

Clara Tea

There is no proof, remember Moses breaking the tablets in anger, that those commandments are of a heavenly origin.
Thank you for agreeing with my statement that the Ten Commandments are not moral standards created by men, but are of heavenly origin.

The broken tablets were then put into the Ark of the Covenant, along with the staff of Aaron, and a Torah. It is said, that the Ark has been lost, but it hasn't been, it has been hidden to prevent theft or destruction. It remains as it used to be except for replacing the old tattered Torah with a new one. Could the pieces of the ten commandments be glued together, or computer simulated? Perhaps. It might be possible to scan the Ark of the Covenant and use computer tomography to reconstruct the ten commandments.

However, the Ark of the Covenant can only be opened once highly ranked Jewish Rabbis say the appropriate words, so that the curse would not kill the openers. This ceremony is only held every 1,000 years, by the Hebrew calendar.

Since we are in the end times, it was decided that the Ark of the Covenant would be opened one last time in the year 2,000, by the Julian or Gregorian calendars (which differ only slightly).

It is said that the angels carved into the wooden cabinet doors talk, but that is only myth, according to the rabbis, and they did not talk in the year 2,000 when it was last opened.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, the Religious Right mixed religion with politics, and the result was defying God and having wars and torture camps.

Nope. You made your post political in your first sentence. No one else had brought up politics before you did.
The thread is about a god creating the universe, not what political people did/do.

Only God has power over life and death. When a person decides who lives and who dies (like President W. Bush, objecting to the al Qaeda killing 3,000 people in the World Trade Center bombing (aka 911), then killing a million Iraqis because he objects to killing) he takes on the role of God. Only God should decide what the effect of killing should be, because only God knows the future.

If, on the other hand, a human was able to see the future, and had the intelligence of God to know how killing a million Iraqis would affect the future, then perhaps, he, too, could play God.

But, God has a position of respect that no human has, since God, and God alone, created the universe, and no human had any part in the creation of the universe.

Thus, when God kills (Noah's flood), and millions of innocent people are killed as a result, God might have had a plan that we could not see.

Also, when God had a baby with Mary, who, at the time, was betrothed to (but not yet married to) Joseph, God did what he commanded humans not to do (covet other men's wives....though technically she was not yet anyone's wife). It seems to have worked out well, since their kid was Jesus. Sure, other mothers brag...."my son is a doctor" but it's very difficult to top "my son is Jesus Christ."

People are constantly asking for forgiveness of sins that they don't think that they even have. Perhaps we should forgive God for having a baby with Mary and killing much of the world's population with a flood (Noah's time)?

Man was made in God's image, and man is flawed. Does that mean that God is flawed?

Clara Tea

No, the Religious Right mixed religion with politics, and the result was defying God and having wars and torture camps.
No, it can't be. I agree that the laws cannot apply to the evident God Brahman but they do apply to IT'S/HIS/HER nature. It is the nature of Brahman to evolve and transform and form and dismantle what was formed. It has an orderly nature.
Just like
we have a biology.

People keep talking about "nature" but they forget that NATURE is not something stand-alone. (athiests)

Nor is it right to say there is this being and then it created "nature" (thiests ex-nihilo)

It is neither, The nature is intrinsic to Being.

It is Brahman's nature. That said god's nature, who transcends that nature. Laws are for ITS nature.

Like we say about humans -- temperament, aptitude, tendency and nature.
XYZ has a very helpful nature.
It is ABC's natural tendency to __________.

The observable nature is Brahman's nature - or the said god's nature in the OP.
Not just "nature" in vacuum without association, possessive noun.

Like most words, perhaps the word "nature" has more than one meaning?

For example, lying might not be in a person's "nature."

Or, God created "nature" and we call it the "environment."

I'm right....naturally.

Clara Tea

Nope. You made your post political in your first sentence. No one else had brought up politics before you did.
The thread is about a god creating the universe, not what political people did/do.

Oh, now I understand why you don't understand what is going on.

No, the thread is not about God creating the universe. It is about God adhering to the same morals that he insists humans should follow.

I brought up an issue about such morals (thou shalt not kill), and showed that wars violate those morals. Surely God is against those wars.

Just so we all are clear on the question posed by this string, this is the string:

"If a god created the universe, would said god be bound by the laws of its creation?

Or would the laws that came with/from its creation not apply to said god?"

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Thank you for agreeing with my statement that the Ten Commandments are not moral standards created by men, but are of heavenly origin.

The broken tablets were then put into the Ark of the Covenant, along with the staff of Aaron, and a Torah. It is said, that the Ark has been lost, but it hasn't been, it has been hidden to prevent theft or destruction. It remains as it used to be except for replacing the old tattered Torah with a new one. Could the pieces of the ten commandments be glued together, or computer simulated? Perhaps. It might be possible to scan the Ark of the Covenant and use computer tomography to reconstruct the ten commandments.

However, the Ark of the Covenant can only be opened once highly ranked Jewish Rabbis say the appropriate words, so that the curse would not kill the openers. This ceremony is only held every 1,000 years, by the Hebrew calendar.

Since we are in the end times, it was decided that the Ark of the Covenant would be opened one last time in the year 2,000, by the Julian or Gregorian calendars (which differ only slightly).

It is said that the angels carved into the wooden cabinet doors talk, but that is only myth, according to the rabbis, and they did not talk in the year 2,000 when it was last opened.
I'm afraid you have misunderstood my post. It is a good thing that you have faith...who possesses the Ark,if I can ask?

We Never Know

No Slack
No, the thread is not about God creating the universe. It is about God adhering to the same morals that he insists humans should follow.

I brought up an issue about such morals (thou shalt not kill), and showed that wars violate those morals. Surely God is against those wars.

:facepalm:

Hmm. I started the thread.

The title of the thread is
"If a god created the universe"

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Like most words, perhaps the word "nature" has more than one meaning?

For example, lying might not be in a person's "nature."

Or, God created "nature" and we call it the "environment."

I'm right....naturally.
t
I see it is nature that makes you correct.....lol.... it may be time for me to make the donuts.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If a god created the universe, would said god be bound by the laws of its creation?

Or would the laws that came with/from its creation not apply to said god?

If a god created the universe it would have to adhere to the laws of the universe while within the universe. Outside is just a guess.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Prove..I doubt i can prove i'm communicating with you. I can offer my reasoning......Humans live in social settings for survival. We are socialized. If society doesn't teach our morals our family does.

Okay. So you said your family does unless society does. Where did society and your family get it from?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
People keep talking about "nature" but they forget that NATURE is not something stand-alone. (athiests)

Nature is everything, everything in the universe that is part of nature, the universe itself is nature. The universe, as far as we know stands alone. Of course there may be other natural universes, who knows?