• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idolatrous Catholics

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The commandment in the Bible says that people should not MAKE any graven image. You do not have to worship it or pray to it to be braking the commandment. Catholics say they do not worship the statues of the saints but just having statues is a sin.
God later commanded the Israelites to do the opposite and make Graven images. God is known to command people to do the opposite of what he formerly commanded

lostwanderingsoul

Actually, if you read Exodus chapter 32, the people of Isreal got Aaron to make them an idol. When God found out He told Moses to destroy it. God doea not contradict Himself but people who think they know more than they really do misinterpret things.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
What the Roman Church says it teaches does not translate to reality. The station of Mary Queen of Heaven, wife of God the Father. and Mother of God does define Mary as a Goddess.

The Catholic church does not call her wife of God.

How exactly does Mother of God mean Goddess? (If you are a believer) She WOULD BE Mother of God - as she gave birth to him.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The commandment in the Bible says that people should not MAKE any graven image. You do not have to worship it or pray to it to be braking the commandment. Catholics say they do not worship the statues of the saints but just having statues is a sin.

I disagree.

When I looked at the actual verses, it is saying - don't turn anything in the air, land, water into an image to be WORSHIPED.

NOT don't make any image.

This is born out by the fact that we have many museums examples of ancient Hebrew objects with images on them.

According to Tanakh the Temple had images. So, - it does NOT mean no images.

The image has to be worshipped AS A GOD = IDOLATRY.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Actually, if you read Exodus chapter 32, the people of Isreal got Aaron to make them an idol. When God found out He told Moses to destroy it. God doea not contradict Himself but people who think they know more than they really do misinterpret things.

Num 21:8 And YHVH said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

Num 21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

An IMAGE of a SERPENT with magic powers. Hummmm!

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Since the days of the apostles, the Catholic Church has consistently condemned the sin of idolatry. The early Church Fathers warn against this sin, and Church councils also dealt with the issue. ...

The Catechism of the Council of Trent (1566) taught that idolatry is committed "by worshipping idols and images as God, or believing that they possess any divinity or virtue entitling them to our worship, by praying to, or reposing confidence in them" (374).

"Idolatry is a perversion of man’s innate religious sense. An idolater is someone who ‘transfers his indestructible notion of God to anything other than God’" (CCC 2114).

The Church absolutely recognizes and condemns the sin of idolatry.
Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers

YEP! And if you actually look at the Tanakh verse, it is saying exactly that, - don't worship any image, and NOT - don't make any image.

The Temple itself had images, as do many surviving ancient Hebrew objects which we can see in museums.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

PopeADope said:
The church still teaches that she is a creature... God's masterpiece, but still a creature.

Not convincing, because no where is Mary described as a creature.

She is described as the Mother of God, the Queen of Heaven (wife of God the Father) and as you mentioned 'Mary the Ark of the New Covenant, Dwelling Place of God.'

"The God of Israel is Jesus' Father (Matt. 11:27), while Mary became Jesus' human mother (Luke 1:43). [This is why the Catholic Church calls Mary the "Mother of God" (CCC 495) since she is the mother of the second divine Person, God the Son. Mary is not a "Mother god" since she is only human - a creature of God. She is not the feminine side of God. Nor is she the mother of the Persons: God the Father or God the Holy Spirit.] Jesus was not ashamed of claiming the God of Israel as His Father. He was accused of blasphemy and eventually died for this claim (John 5:18; 19: 7-8)." "Mother God" :: Catholic News Agency

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Catholic church does not call her wife of God.

How exactly does Mother of God mean Goddess? (If you are a believer) She WOULD BE Mother of God - as she gave birth to him.

Mother of God refers to the mother of Jesus Christ. Queen of God refers to station of the wife of the King God the Father.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Mother of God refers to the mother of Jesus Christ. Queen of God refers to station of the wife of the King God the Father.

The mother of a King is often called queen, - not meaning married to.

If there is an unmarried ONE God of heaven - he can call his mother queen if he wants, and so can Catholics.

We have already shown that they do not consider her a Goddess, etc.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The mother of a King is often called queen, - not meaning married to.

If there is an unmarried ONE God of heaven - he can call his mother queen if he wants, and so can Catholics.

We have already shown that they do not consider her a Goddess, etc.

I disagree. This is good example of a human become a God or Goddess in mythology as being born without sin (above all humans), Mother of God and Queen of Heaven. Just because the Roman Church claims something to self-define it self under separate rules than anyone else does make it so. Considering the images of Mary bear a striking resemblance to the Roman Goddess is not a coincidence.

Mary becomes Mother of God: The year 431 A.D. was a momentous one in the history of the Queen of Heaven. That’s the year the church fathers, meeting in Ephesus in modern day Turkey, officially declared that Mary is Theotokos, literally, in Greek, the one who gave birth to God. More commonly her title is paraphrased as Mother of God. This was an important political step, as it clarified for the theologians that Jesus was both God and man. Perhaps just as importantly, however, it pacified the people, who were demanding that Mary be acknowledged as a divinity.

Technically, the church denied Mary as divine, as a Goddess, but in practical terms, it conveyed a sense of holiness which made her a viable rival to that other popular Roman/Greek/Egyptian hybrid Goddess of the time, represented variously as Diana, Cybele, and Isis. As a result of their decision, Mary’s divinity has been able to shine through in art and writing and devotion of those who love her.

Beautiful artwork throughout the world depicts Mary holding her infant son exactly as Isis had done for thousands of years before her. Many a home today displays a Christmas creche with Mary tenderly watching over the babe who is God incarnate. Mary is referred to as Mother of God in both the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, which together represent the majority of the Christian faithful."

Canaanite, Ugarit, Babylonian, Roman and Greek mythology are woven all through Christianity.

We also disagree that the Trinity, is Tritheism, therefore our disagreement continues.

Last edited:

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
Well, ah . . . the polytheism of Tritheism is your problem to justify since your argument is headed in this direction.

It is obvious that it is not the Son, as the role of Mary is the Mother of God the Son.

I do not have to justify anything. That is not my belief system. I was just pointing out what the scriptures say. Although one might argue that since God the Father is the father of Jesus, and according to Matthew it is the Holy Spirit, the two must be the same.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I do not have to justify anything. That is not my belief system. I was just pointing out what the scriptures say. Although one might argue that since God the Father is the father of Jesus, and according to Matthew it is the Holy Spirit, the two must be the same.

That is closer to the reality . . .

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I disagree. This is good example of a human become a God or Goddess in mythology as being born without sin (above all humans), Mother of God and Queen of Heaven. Just because the Roman Church claims something to self-define it self under separate rules than anyone else does make it so. Considering the images of Mary bear a striking resemblance to the Roman Goddess is not a coincidence.

Mary becomes Mother of God: The year 431 A.D. was a momentous one in the history of the Queen of Heaven. That’s the year the church fathers, meeting in Ephesus in modern day Turkey, officially declared that Mary is Theotokos, literally, in Greek, the one who gave birth to God. More commonly her title is paraphrased as Mother of God. This was an important political step, as it clarified for the theologians that Jesus was both God and man. Perhaps just as importantly, however, it pacified the people, who were demanding that Mary be acknowledged as a divinity.

Technically, the church denied Mary as divine, as a Goddess, but in practical terms, it conveyed a sense of holiness which made her a viable rival to that other popular Roman/Greek/Egyptian hybrid Goddess of the time, represented variously as Diana, Cybele, and Isis. As a result of their decision, Mary’s divinity has been able to shine through in art and writing and devotion of those who love her.

Beautiful artwork throughout the world depicts Mary holding her infant son exactly as Isis had done for thousands of years before her. Many a home today displays a Christmas creche with Mary tenderly watching over the babe who is God incarnate. Mary is referred to as Mother of God in both the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, which together represent the majority of the Christian faithful."

Canaanite, Ugarit, Babylonian, Roman and Greek mythology are woven all through Christianity.

We also disagree that the Trinity, is Tritheism, therefore our disagreement continues.

And your point is what here?

ALL the religions of Abraham are just extensions of Pagan religions.

The modern Catholic religion states, and teaches, that Mary IS NOT A GODDESS.

How exactly does a sense of holiness in someone, - equate to Divinity?

If it isn't being taught as Tritheism - how are three different beings acting in the same place at the same time?

Jesus 1, Spirit landing 2, and God speaking from heaver 3, for instance?

Mat 3:16 And Jesus (1), when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove (2), and lighting upon him:

Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven (3), saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Could it be that there is no trinity of any kind?

Jesus is a just a special HUMAN messiah, as he claimed, and NOT part of a trinity God? The "spirit" of God is just God's power in action? Leaving God (where he was the whole time) to speak from Heaven as he sends /power/blessings down to Messiah Jesus?

Such makes much more sense, over claiming ONE trinity God.

And it bags the obvious, why would any God need to act like three beings to carry out it's will? It wouldn't!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
And your point is what here?

ALL the religions of Abraham are just extensions of Pagan religions.

No, but the ancient religions like Judaism and Christianity are corrupted with ancient mythology. Christianity is corrupted by Greek and Roman mythology. Pagan religions are more accurately described as pre=Roman religions.

The modern Catholic religion states, and teaches, that Mary IS NOT A GODDESS.

So what?!?!?! I do not believe the claims accurately reflect how the Roman Church describes Mary.

How exactly does a sense of holiness in someone, - equate to Divinity?

It, of course, does not equate to Divinity, and never claimed it did. Your moving the goal posts and misrepresenting me.

If it isn't being taught as Tritheism - how are three different beings acting in the same place at the same time?

They are not always acting in the same place at the same time as described in the New Testament. God the Father is in Heaven, God the Son was on earth and God the Holy Spirit was somewhere in between.

Jesus 1, Spirit landing 2, and God speaking from heaver 3, for instance?

For instance?!?!? They are described as three distinct beings.

Mat 3:16 And Jesus (1), when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove (2), and lighting upon him:

Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven (3), saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Could it be that there is no trinity of any kind?

Well ah . . . I do not believe there is a Trinity of any kind, but the Roman Church describes the Trinity as Tritheism.

:quote]
Jesus is a just a special HUMAN messiah, as he claimed, and NOT part of a trinity God? The "spirit" of God is just God's power in action? Leaving God (where he was the whole time) to speak from Heaven as he sends /power/blessings down to Messiah Jesus? [/quote]

Jesus and Mary are described as very special humans, but they are also described as Gods.

Such makes much more sense, over claiming ONE trinity God.

I do not describe God as one Trinity God. and I describe God as God.
\
And it bags the obvious, why would any God need to act like three beings to carry out it's will? It wouldn't!

. , , in Roman Church mythology it would, but to me as a Baha'i it makes no sense.