• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to believe

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I want to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God

But my faith in such an entity has been totally shattered, and this has saddened me greatly :(

It feels as though a close friend has died

Everything feels bleak

The thing I believe in feels cold, distant, and disinterested in me

So, I'm asking......

Are there any good reasons to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God?

Bearing in mind that I no longer accept scripture as authoritative

I'm pretty certain that there aren't

Whateverist

In my ignorant opinion there is no more reason to believe in a cold, distant and disinterested god than there is to believe in a warm and fuzzy one .. so I don’t. Yet I think there is something that resists representation that is real and worth acknowledging.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not that i know of but other people have other ideas and will no doubt put forward their suggestions so I'll get on quick with a couple that seem to match you needs..

Try looking at the Greek Eleos or the Roman equivalent Clementia

PureX

Veteran Member

But my faith in such an entity has been totally shattered, and this has saddened me greatly :(

Everything feels bleak

You're looking in the wrong place. Love, concern, empathy, respect, these can be seen every day all around you. All you need to do is look for them, and you will see them. Theists, atheists, makes no difference. Most humans sincerely care about their fellow humans and will act to further their well-being if they are able. And you are one of them. The idea of God in some religious book is all well and good, but it doesn't mean much if it never shows up in our lives, or in or hearts.
So, I'm asking......

We don't have to believe in it. We just need be willing to trust in the idea enough to act on it. And then let the results speak for themselves.

God is as real and loving as you're willing to let it be.

Frank Goad

Everything feels bleak

So, I'm asking......

You should ask a friend to astral project to you and help you like in 1 Corinthians 5:1-5.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Everything feels bleak

So, I'm asking......

It's my belief, based on personal experience, that even when we feel very far from God, He is never far from us. The sense of him is easily drowned out, and we are easily distracted by our own concerns, our fears and our desires. But whenever I have really needed Him, He's been there offering comfort and support, and I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case for you. And in the words of Rumi. "What you seek is seeking you".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Could you work with appreciation of the ideal and values in lieu of belief of the existence of a personification?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many.

First and foremost, because you want to is more than good enough of a reason. You get to make decisions for you and your life. You get to be the architect of your life ways. There will inevitably be some interaction between your life ways and those of others, but you get to walk your own journey and tell your own story. The way you want to tell it. If a loving, benevolent God is part of that, let it be so! You don't need some complicated, grandiose, overly-intellectualized reason beyond you feel like it.

Secondarily and perhaps just as importantly, it is essential to feel like someone has your back and will catch you when you fall. The absence of this in our lives instills such a deep-seated fear and panic that words do not do it a justice. Not everyone is blessed with unconditional, loving relationships with other humans. To avoid going into a full-blown anxiety/depression spiral, believing something out there gives a crap can be exactly what you need to keep going forward. When we can't believe in ourselves, we need someone to believe in us.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So, I'm asking......
With the world scene today being what it is, is good reason to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God.
A lot of people do accept Scripture as authoritative because it explains 'why' God is concerned, loving and personal.
Being forewarned is being forearmed.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not that i know of but other people have other ideas and will no doubt put forward their suggestions so I'll get on quick with a couple that seem to match you needs..
I find a lot of people say, " Not that I know of......"
I know of the forewarned warning the Bible speaks about that when they (powers that be) are saying, " Peace and Security....." that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path., so to me that is a good reason to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God.
Forewarning us is showing concern and love by a personal God.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I find a lot of people say, " Not that I know of......"
I know of the forewarned warning the Bible speaks about that when they (powers that be) are saying, " Peace and Security....." that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path., so to me that is a good reason to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God.
Forewarning us is showing concern and love by a personal God.

I wouldn't call the bible god

ChristineM

Premium Member
Good point ^ above ^ because the Bible / Scripture is Not God, but it is God's Word because God is the Author.

Nope, people are the authors, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a book according to god

And for some reason my post #14 was incomplete, it should have read
"I wouldn't call the bible god concerned and loving"

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Certainly not in accepting what any book says. And I'd add not from intellectual reasons. All I can offer is that is that my experience is that God is love and that spiritual figures from all religions concur (taking into account difference in expression)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Alternatively, there's a lot of scriptures.

Its okay not to believe in any of them, but do you know them all?

The Ramayana? Havamal? Lotus Sutra?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Nope, people are the authors, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a book according to god
And for some reason my post #14 was incomplete, it should have read
"I wouldn't call the bible god concerned and loving"
Many people wouldn't call the Bible God as concerned and loving.
Men were just God's secretaries penning God's thoughts down in writing.
Being forewarned is always concerned and loving.
So, the fact that we can know what is coming is showing concern and loving.
When the powers in charge are saying, " Peace and Security......" as penned at 1st Thess. 5:2-3 that is the final signal precursing the coming great tribulation.....