• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just saw this ridiculous commercial for the 2nd time:

Skwim

Veteran Member
You forgot to add 15 cubits. Hmm, how much of difference would that make?

(22.5/5280)mile*197 million square miles = 0.8 cubic miles. Better up that amount by one cubic mile after rounding.
:musicnotes:Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little
Cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more :musicnotes:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
There are several hundred versions of the bible, all subtly different. There are around 50,000 versions of Christianity, each taking the version of the bible they prefer and interpreting it the way that suites them.
And how do the versions today affect the manuscripts of old? They don’t.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I wonder how some of the animals crossed the ocean?
Maybe by the same Power that took Elijah away in the flaming chariot?

It always makes me laugh when readers of the Genesis Flood account read where God caused the water to inundate the Earth, but then think He didn’t exert power in any other ways during and after the Event.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Does anyone seriously believe the Noah's Ark Myth? And if so can you be clear about which version you believe in? There are multiple interpretations of the myth in the Bible, so merely saying "The one in the Bible" will not tell anyone anything useful.
I have found that if you go very slowly one at a time through the most common objections, sorry I can't tell you which story I only know of two (standard and Raelian), but anyway if you go through the objections slowly you can find a lot of answers.

The only answer I don't know is how the Coral Reefs would be preserved. Because I can't explain it, I am led to not believe the standard account, and I don't believe in Raelism in general.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Interpretation using reason? Excellent idea ─ that rules out magical explanations for a start. Then it must be a myth because (a) there never was a time when the whole earth was under water (b) there was no means for getting one breeding pair of all the earth's animals to Turkey and then home again after (c) the technology to build a wooden boat capable of holding those animals and their food for a year without resupply didn't exist until the 20th century if even then (d) it was a myth in Mesopotamia before it was a myth in Canaan ie it's not a Hebrew tale, it's a Sumerian one and dates back to the 3rd millennium BCE ie before Yahweh had been invented (e) if the flood had happened every species of land animal would show a genetic bottleneck and all the bottlenecks would date to the same date, but nothing even remotely resembling that is found (f) if the flood had happened there'd be a single unmistakable geological flood layer all over all continents and the ocean floor, but nothing even remotely resembling that is found either (g) if as the script requires the top of Mt Everest was under water then proponents of the tale need to account for an extra 1.113 bn cubic miles of water over and above the water presently on the earth, and of course they can't (h) there is no set of coherent hypotheses that could make the ark possible and (as I know well) defenses of the ark story always lead to nonsense, selected misreadings, distortion, evasion, attempts to explain away, purported dismissal of inconvenient evidence and so on and (i) anyway by and large I know a myth when I hear one.
You are mistaken. The Bible tells us @ Psalms 104 that the Flood caused mountains and valleys to form. IOW, the Earth’s topography was much smoother than it is today....there was no Mt. Everest, prior to the Flood. So many mountain ranges, like the Himalayas, the Alps, etc., are relatively young.

And this can easily be observed: they have sharply defined features. With the extreme elements that these ranges experience, if they were millions of years old, they’d be rounded stumps by now! Yes, the rocks are very old, but the features they form are young!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have found that if you go very slowly one at a time through the most common objections, sorry I can't tell you which story I only know of two (standard and Raelian), but anyway if you go through the objections slowly you can find a lot of answers.

The only answer I don't know is how the Coral Reefs would be preserved. Because I can't explain it, I am led to not believe the standard account, and I don't believe in Raelism in general.
Seriously you can't. Excuses are not refutations. But go ahead. Pick a refutation that you think that you can address.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
If god could use his mystical 'n magical powers to lead or even teleport the animals to Noah, then why bother with the wacky boat and flood shenanigans at all? Why not just instantly poof away all of the wicked folk? The fact that biblical stories have god doing things in such an irrational, inefficient, impractical, convoluted Rube Goldberg-esque manner alone shows what a crock of **** it is, never mind the complete lack of supporting evidence vs. an insurmountable mountain of evidence to the contrary.
You should read the Scriptures without your mind closed.

The extreme nature of the Flood....being global, and destroying everything.... was unfortunately necessary, because God was dealing with spirit creatures who had come to Earth with materialized bodies, wanting to have sex with women. Their influence was everywhere. (God was actually protecting the human race.) And yes, the Bible explains this, @ Genesis 6:1-4.

These were the “Angels that sinned”, referred to by Peter.

(They had hybrid offspring, who were bigger than humans. Does this sound like the Greek and Roman mythologies, with their gods having sex with human females? Have you never read that mythologies, at their base, have some kernel of truth that’s been embellished?)

The Gospel accounts reveal that these spirit creatures, now called demons, have the ability to possess animals, if need be.

It’s too bad, that most of you reading this will just laugh and deride it. And me too, probably.

That’s alright.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And how do the versions today affect the manuscripts of old? They don’t.

Provide an original manuscript and ilI tell you, howerver, considering the oldest was written some 80 years after and that is the Vulgate. How does the version you prefer compare to that?

And of course even books like the kjv and niv differ so much with whole verses and groups of verses omitted from the niv i am surprised you actually asked that question.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You are mistaken. The Bible tells us @ Psalms 104 that the Flood caused mountains and valleys to form.
Boy, I don't know.

Psalms 104
You built the earth on its foundations,
so it can never be moved.
6 You covered it with water like a blanket.
The water covered even the mountains.

7 But you gave the command, and the water turned back.
You shouted at the water, and it rushed away.
8 The water flowed down from the mountains into the valleys,
to the places you made for it.

9 You set the limits for the seas,
and the water will never again rise to cover the earth.
And what's the deal with the earth being built on a foundation?

turtles all the way down.png

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You should read the Scriptures without your mind closed.

The extreme nature of the Flood....being global, and destroying everything.... was unfortunately necessary, because God was dealing with spirit creatures who had come to Earth with materialized bodies, wanting to have sex with women. Their influence was everywhere. (God was actually protecting the human race.) And yes, the Bible explains this, @ Genesis 6:1-4.

These were the “Angels that sinned”, referred to by Peter.

(They had hybrid offspring, who were bigger than humans. Does this sound like the Greek and Roman mythologies, with their gods having sex with human females? Have you never read that mythologies, at their base, have some kernel of truth that’s been embellished?)

The Gospel accounts reveal that these spirit creatures, now called demons, have the ability to possess animals, if need be.

It’s too bad, that most of you reading this will just laugh and deride it. And me too, probably.

That’s alright.
By the biblical definition the sort of angels you have there are the same "kind" as human beings.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
No one ever discusses the unimaginably horrific storms that would have occurred when all that rain and well water got dumped into the oceans and seas*. Now picture a vessel with no means of propulsion or steering in the midst of it.

* 337 inches/hour.

On the other hand, it was pictures like this ...
bf66c6f8-01e0-4751-ae6d-edd247db2e1c_1.0e99f17f581d8bd50fe5a1ea27092f23.jpeg

...shown in Sunday School that made me, at age nine, realize that god was no more real than my comic book characters.
But the Ark didn’t look like that. It was chest-like, needing only to float.
And the dimensions given to Noah, are ideal for just such a craft!

‘Noah’s Ark would have floated’

How did Moses (who wrote the account) know, since it’s only been within the last 200 years that shipbuilders have discovered that these dimensions provide for the best seaworthiness for a vessel of this type, non powered and just float?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

How did Moses (who wrote the account) know, since it’s only been within the last 200 years that shipbuilders have discovered that these dimensions provide for the best seaworthiness for a vessel of this type, non powered and just float?
So what if an Ark with too few animals on it would have floated? That is a strawman that no one is debating. Here are just some of the problems. First it would take over 5 miles of water to cover the Earth. Where did it come from? Where did it go to? Why is there no evidence of it? Where is the universal, near extinction level population bottleneck that the myth tells us should have occurred? That is just skimming the surface.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Boy, I don't know.

Psalms 104
You built the earth on its foundations,
so it can never be moved.
6 You covered it with water like a blanket.
The water covered even the mountains.

7 But you gave the command, and the water turned back.
You shouted at the water, and it rushed away.
8 The water flowed down from the mountains into the valleys,
to the places you made for it.

9 You set the limits for the seas,
and the water will never again rise to cover the earth.
And what's the deal with the earth being built on a foundation?
A lot of figurative, poetic language in this passage, as in much of the Bible. Here, notice the previous verses, from the NWT:

Let me* praise Jehovah.+

O Jehovah my God, you are very great.+

With majesty* and splendor you are clothed.+

2 You are wrapped in light+ as with a garment;

You stretch out the heavens like a tent cloth.+

3 He lays beams of his upper rooms in the waters above,*+

Making the clouds his chariot,+

Moving on the wings of the wind.+

4 He makes his angels spirits,

His ministers a consuming fire.+

5 He has established the earth on its foundations;+

It will not be moved from its place* forever and ever.+

6 You covered it with deep waters as with a garment.+

The waters stood above the mountains.

7 At your rebuke they fled;+

At the sound of your thunder they ran away in panic

8 Mountains ascended+ and valleys descended

To the place you established for them.

9 You set a boundary that they should not pass,+

That they should never again cover the earth.
“””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

I’d suggest you should at least consult another Bible. (Check BibleHub.) Apparently, the translators of the one you use, had an a priori motive and wanted nothing in theirs that would support a literal understanding of the Flood. This is the second time now.... 2 in a row, actually....where I’ve found misleading terms.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Floated yes. Most wood floats.

If it could have been built given the technology available. It cannot even be built now without computer aided design, precisely machined timber and steel reinforcement.

Stayed afloat with (not 70,000 animals) but close to 18 million. And not 2 of each, obviously the researchers idea of research is watching a Disney movie. And in a 40 day storm dropping about 9 metres of water per hour. No chance.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Floated yes. Most wood floats.

If it could have been built given the technology available. It cannot even be built now without computer aided design, precisely machined timber and steel reinforcement.

Stayed afloat with (not 70,000 animals) but close to 18 million. And not 2 of each, obviously the researchers idea of research is watching a Disney movie. And in a 40 day storm dropping about 9 metres of water per hour. No chance.
Oh, yes...God would cause the worst cataclysm the Earth ever experienced, but then not protect the Ark or it’s contents.

That makes sense.