• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just saw this ridiculous commercial for the 2nd time:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How much was the cost of making the modern Ark and how many work hours were spent making it? Are all the materials and tools the same as could have been used in ancient times? Is it seaworthy? The answers to these questions are that the "ark encounter" although profitable, isn't comparable to Noah's in any way.
Actual shipbuilders say it wasn't seaworthy whatsoever. The thing would eventually break apart from the stress.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
One objection I've heard humpteen times, is how did Noah find, i.e., 'get', all those animals.

Well, he didn't have to...the animals "came to" him @ the ark, as per vs.9.
Forget that for now. Why would an event that would have left unmistakable evidence leave no evidence at all?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Grief! Just who publishes this "Easy-to-Read Version"?

Do you think "get" is the same as "take with"?
I call that a big 'variation'! It changes the meaning.

There are several hundred versions of the bible, all subtly different. There are around 50,000 versions of Christianity, each taking the version of the bible they prefer and interpreting it the way that suites them.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I wonder how some of the animals crossed the ocean?

If god could use his mystical 'n magical powers to lead or even teleport the animals to Noah, then why bother with the wacky boat and flood shenanigans at all? Why not just instantly poof away all of the wicked folk? The fact that biblical stories have god doing things in such an irrational, inefficient, impractical, convoluted Rube Goldberg-esque manner alone shows what a crock of **** it is, never mind the complete lack of supporting evidence vs. an insurmountable mountain of evidence to the contrary.

ChristineM

Premium Member
One objection I've heard humpteen times, is how did Noah find, i.e., 'get', all those animals.

So kangaroos, polar bears, penguins and anacondas etc built boats to sail to the middle east. Spent a year in the ark (tons of food magically appearing at need) then got off, built more boats and sailed home?

Do you know who did the mucking out and daily maintenance of around 18 million animals?

And was it 2 or 7 blue whales? Whale is a food animal.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So kangaroos, polar bears, penguins and anacondas etc built boats to sail to the middle east. Spent a year in the ark (tons of food magically appearing at need) then got off, built more boats and sailed home?

Do you know who did the mucking out and daily maintenance of around 18 million animals?

And was it 2 or 7 blue whales? Whale is a food animal.

...and ignoring the logistics, the animals would've gone extinct regardless of a successful voyage due to the lack of genetic diversity.

ChristineM

Premium Member
...and ignoring the logistics, the animals would've gone extinct regardless of a successful voyage due to the lack of genetic diversity.

Of course, there are many other proofs noahs flood is a wash out, the most telling (related directly to your post) is DNA evidence.

There are tens of thousands, if not millions of incarcerated felons languishing in a 6x8 cell because DNA cannot lie.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Fair enough - once "magic poofing" or "God did it" has been invoked in the explanation for some aspects of the story, it's hard to say that it can't be used for anything else:

How did Noah collect all the animals? God did it magically.

How did they all not starve or suffocate in the Ark? God did it magically.

How did all the water appear? God did it magically.

How did all the water disappear after? God did it magically.

... and on and on.

No absurdity or contradiction in the story can convince a person that the story is false if they've accepted "magic poofing" as a valid explanation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have heard some Christians try to work it down to a local flood. They claim that the Jewish words can be interpreted to mean all of the Earth that they were familiar with. The story still fails but for different reasons of course.
Educated Christians recognise the biblical flood story was co-opted from the Epic of Gilgamesh and as such is a very ancient Mesopotamian myth.

It seems not unreasonable to think it may have been originally inspired by some kind of real flood event, passed on orally and growing like a fisherman's tale. A number of alternatives have been proposed, my personal favourite being the progressive inundation of what is now the Persian Gulf when the sea rose at the end of the last Ice Age, flooding the foreland basin of the Zagros mountains. But it is all mere speculation of course. The Tigris and Euphrates were subject to regular flooding in any case.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actual shipbuilders say it wasn't seaworthy whatsoever. The thing would eventually break apart from the stress.
The thing would break apart if not for God. See my post above: magic poofing can be invoked to explain any absurdity in the story.

Also: gopherwood. The story says the Ark was made of "gopherwood," which doesn't exist any more and therefore can be assumed to have whatever properties Biblical literalists choose to give it. Whatever the maximum stress there would be on the hull of the ship, gopherwood's strength can be assumed to be just greater than that.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Though the story of Noah's ark seems impossible there was a 60 minute documentary explaining how there weren't actually animals on board but small vials of their DNA stored on the ark. Aliens (angels) had something to do with the collection process. Also it is claimed that the ten commandments that were said to have been written by the hand of God were actually carved by laser from an alien craft hiding in the clouds.
CASE CLOSED!

ChristineM

Premium Member
The thing would break apart if not for God. See my post above: magic poofing can be invoked to explain any absurdity in the story.

Also: gopherwood. The story says the Ark was made of "gopherwood," which doesn't exist any more and therefore can be assumed to have whatever properties Biblical literalists choose to give it. Whatever the maximum stress there would be on the hull of the ship, gopherwood's strength can be assumed to be just greater than that.

Interesting piece on gopher wood

WWF: Gopher Wood

ChristineM

Premium Member
Though the story of Noah's ark seems impossible there was a 60 minute documentary explaining how there weren't actually animals on board but small vials of their DNA stored on the ark. Aliens (angels) had something to do with the collection process. Also it is claimed that the ten commandments that were said to have been written by the hand of God were actually carved by laser from an alien craft hiding in the clouds.
CASE CLOSED!

After centuries, nay millennia of argument you solve the conundrum in a single post.. aliens dun it.

Twilight Hue

That's true. Nobody could explain "gopher-wood".

It kind of kills the tale you think about it. Bible says every living thing was to be killed except what was brought on the Ark. And while biblical literalists tried desperately to cover the animals, barely a mention about any of the the plants.

I can see a verse being added in already....

"Thus God commanded the seed to reside within the bowels of every animal that doeth enter the ark to remain there for the duration of thine flood, to be discharged upon the receding of the waters".

Twilight Hue

CASE CLOSED!

Don't forget. ..
"As ancient astronaut theorists contend".

ecco

Veteran Member
Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-2.51.44-AM.png

Screen shot of empty entry lobby 7-16-2016 at 2:51.44 AM

I would expect the lobby to be empty at 2:51.44 AM