• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have successfully produced a surah equal to that found in the Koran

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I made it to :48 seconds.. ... Arabic just isn't a great language to listen to...

I don't expect it to appeal to everyone, especially non-native speakers. Heck, Qur'anic recitations don't even appeal to all native Arabic speakers. Doesn't make the Qur'an any less linguistically valuable, though. :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was about to ask about what grounds the Qur'an's unsurpassed excellence is based on, actually. So it it really is about something with the Arabic language rather than the content? I don't imagine people who know Arabic will be able to understand the challenge. Arabic is surely a beautiful language. I can understand why Muslims would claim that the Arabic version of the Qur'an is the supreme form of it, even though I don't know Arabic. (It's like how I'm currently listening to Matisyahu and he has Hebrew passages in his songs at times, which I find beautiful and I don't know Hebrew, either. )

The "challenge" itself is kind of open to interpretation, since I have seen scholars claim that the challenge is about the content of the Qur'an and its linguistic prowess, whereas others have focused on the linguistic part because they know that the content wouldn't really impress non-Muslims.

If we focus on the linguistic aspect or even include it as part of the challenge, there are many ways to measure that objectively in Arabic. There are, for example, literary and poetic devices that express different meanings more concisely or thoroughly. It's kinda hard to explain in English; the nature of the two languages is quite different.

A few years ago, one of the Egyptian presidential candidates said that he was in favor of removing Qur'anic verses from all Arabic school curricula. Even some Christians were opposed to that, because many of us non-Muslims realize that even without the religious aspect, the Qur'an is the best and most reliable source of sound Arabic language.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
perhaps the Koran is more musical than my surah. However I think my surah beats the Koran in terms of content. Lets call it a draw.

I think many things beat the Qur'an in terms of intellectual content. Many, many things. Not the linguistic content, though.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I personally like this Qur'anic recitation and think it demonstrates the brilliance of Qur'anic poetry quite well in audible form:

I'm not sure how much non-Arabic speakers will be able to appreciate it, but I suspect it's not impossible for at least some non-Arabic speakers to get a sense of Qur'anic poetic flow from it. (I wouldn't blame them if they didn't, though.)

What you wrote in your OP doesn't even begin to compare to this.
My farvorite recite of Maher Mueaqly, almost every night I listen to it,before I sleep

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Your language is strange :D

What about the first one? It rhymes the same word 5 times in a modified repetitive pattern. What makes it amazing in Arabic?

According to one analysis I have read of that surah, the first three instances of rhyming the word nas, meaning people (translated as men in your translation), are used to emphasize Allah's dignification of humans. In Arabic, when you add Allah's name to any word, like "Allah's word," "Allah's messenger," etc., the word to which Allah's name is added is dignified by this addition. This is why "Lord of men," "King of men," and "God of men" signal dignification of humans.

The last two instances contain two different rhetorical devices: the first here:

"from the evil of the slinking whisperer (4) who whispers in the breasts of men"

This emphasizes the devil's "wrongdoing" and strength of his whispering to humans. The rhetorical device used here is called majaz mursal in Arabic, where something is mentioned when something else is intended to be understood. In this case, a place ("breasts") is mentioned when what is meant is what resides inside said place (the heart). So "breasts" here is mentioned metaphorically when "hearts" is what is intended.

The second rhetorical device is this:

"(5) of jinn and men.' (6)"

Juxtaposing antonyms in Arabic emphasizes their meaning. "Jinn" and "men" are considered opposites here, so juxtaposing them gives extra emphasis to the meaning of the verse.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to destruction. Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners in the company of mockers Serve the Lord with fear
and celebrate his with trembling or he will be angry
and your way will lead to your destruction.
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him. Tremble do not sin
when you are on your beds. God is a righteous judge,
a God who displays his wrath every day.
If he does not relent, he will sharpen his sword
he will bend and string his bow.He has prepared his deadly weapons;
he makes ready his flaming arrows. Sing the praises of the Lord, enthroned in Zion
proclaim among the nations what he has done. For he who avenges blood remembers;
he does not ignore the cries of the afflicted. The Lord is in his holy temple;
the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes everyone on earth;
his eyes examine them. The Lord examines the righteous,
but the wicked, those who love violence, he hates with a passion.

You need more practice.

Hello!
Is it me you're looking for?
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
You're all I've ever wanted
And my arms are open wide
'cause you know just what to say
And you know just what to do
And I want to tell you so much
I love you

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You need more practice.

Hello!
I love you

Dude, he said "surah," not "rap"! :p

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If anyone is learning Arabic or already knows Arabic and wants to compare some great poetry to the Qur'an, I recommend reading some of the works of Al-Mutanabbi and Ahmed Shawqi. These two are considered to be among the best Arabic poets—if not the best two.

... and their best works still pale in comparison to the Qur'an.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Seems like an awfully strange way for God to prove himself. 'Hey look how many literary devices I can cram into one verse. Surely no man can do that.' One would think the profoundness of the ideas would be where God really proves himself. Is there any way to really measure how beautiful something is? So we count literary devices? Maybe we give bonus points for rhyming?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems like an awfully strange way for God to prove himself. 'Hey look how many literary devices I can cram into one verse. Surely no man can do that.' One would think the profoundness of the ideas would be where God really proves himself. Is there any way to really measure how beautiful something is? So we count literary devices? Maybe we give bonus points for rhyming?

Hey, you're going to have to ask a Muslim about that. I don't believe it proves the existence of any god; I believe it proves that the author—not a god, in my view—was an outstanding poet. :)

Sabour

The Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to destruction. Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners in the company of mockers Serve the Lord with fear
and celebrate his with trembling or he will be angry
and your way will lead to your destruction.
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him. Tremble do not sin
when you are on your beds. God is a righteous judge,
a God who displays his wrath every day.
If he does not relent, he will sharpen his sword
he will bend and string his bow.He has prepared his deadly weapons;
he makes ready his flaming arrows. Sing the praises of the Lord, enthroned in Zion
proclaim among the nations what he has done. For he who avenges blood remembers;
he does not ignore the cries of the afflicted. The Lord is in his holy temple;
the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes everyone on earth;
his eyes examine them. The Lord examines the righteous,
but the wicked, those who love violence, he hates with a passion.

The Quraan is in Arabic.

This is in English.

Quraan was revealed in Arabic and the challenge in the Arabic language, The English version is not the Quraan, nor it is a translation. I would call it an interpretation. For instance take the opening chapter of the Quraan. In Arabic, it is 29 words, in any "translation" it is between 65 and 75. Nevertheless, the meaning is not completely delivered.

Those who translated the Quraan are people who there first language is not Arabic, or their first language is not English. In both cases there is a high possibility that some verses wouldn't be understood, or translated properly.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
You need more practice.

Hello!
I love you

Is that Lionel Richie your quoting? He wrote a Surah? :)