• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have successfully produced a surah equal to that found in the Koran

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
The OP was a long while ago, and I'm new here, so not sure I want to read through all these responses. Someone may have mentioned already- if we're seeking verses like the Quran, the Baha'i writings furnish several examples. Its founders Bahaullah and the Bab had been Muslims, and Quranic flow and style wasn't foreign to them.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The OP was a long while ago, and I'm new here, so not sure I want to read through all these responses. Someone may have mentioned already- if we're seeking verses like the Quran, the Baha'i writings furnish several examples. Its founders Bahaullah and the Bab had been Muslims, and Quranic flow and style wasn't foreign to them.

Oh Good God.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

How did you make your judgement?

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
How did you make your judgement?

By reading the Baha'i writings and a translation of the Bab's Bayan. The style and flow of words is virtually identical to the Quran. For example, Bahaullah often ended statements with- God is the encompassing, the irresistible.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
By reading the Baha'i writings and a translation of the Bab's Bayan. The style and flow of words is virtually identical to the Quran. For example, Bahaullah often ended statements with- God is the encompassing, the irresistible.

You mean he copied and pasted some verses similar to the quran.

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
You mean he copied and pasted some verses similar to the quran.

Copied and pasted? So is that to be the criticism any time verses like the Quran actually are produced? It is extremely over-simple to say Bahaullah merely copied the Quran, when he wrote many works in his own right.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Let's just say I have serious doubts about your ability to judge poetry

You spoke of cadence in your verse, as well as rhyme, where I saw none. If you regard yourself to be more skilled in judging verse, perhaps you could explain where I had erred?

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Copied and pasted? So is that to be the criticism any time verses like the Quran actually are produced? It is extremely over-simple to say Bahaullah merely copied the Quran, when he wrote many works in his own right.

Give one example for some verses of his work and how you made your judgement accordingly.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Shakespeare wrote almost 200 books. Muhammed 1. Shakespeare's career was writing. Muhammed's, trading.

Plays and sonnets, not books. What he wrote was meant to be heard and performed, not read.

In any case, Shakespeare wasn't educated in poetry specifically.

I think Shakespeare was much educated during his time.
http://www.shakespeare-online.com/biography/shakespeareeducation.html

As this link shows, he was educated in a Grammar school (which doubtless included poetry in the cirriculum), but very well may have been pulled before being able to complete it. If he "continued his studies elsewhere", as the link posits, that means he's self-taught, and there'd be little evidence of him doing so outside of his work.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Plays and sonnets, not books. What he wrote was meant to be heard and performed, not read.

I know I know. 37 plays and some number of sonnets. Heard it a million times. Its easier to say books to me because I dont intend to get technical on shakespeare.

Nevertheless, shakespeare had a career in writing plays and sonnets. Muhammed was not such writer.

firedragon

Veteran Member

In any case, Shakespeare wasn't educated in poetry specifically.

As this link shows, he was educated in a Grammar school (which doubtless included poetry in the cirriculum), but very well may have been pulled before being able to complete it. If he "continued his studies elsewhere", as the link posits, that means he's self-taught, and there'd be little evidence of him doing so outside of his work.

COmpare that with Muhammed.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I know I know. 37 plays and some number of sonnets. Heard it a million times. Its easier to say books to me because I dont intend to get technical on shakespeare.

Nevertheless, shakespeare had a career in writing plays and sonnets.

Eventually, yes.

Muhammed was not such writer.

COmpare that with Muhammed.

Let's see, both middle class geniuses with little to no formal education compared to the elite around them, and yet were able to produce poetry so fine and grand that they set the standard for their respective languages. Heck, there's even a thing over here called "Bardolotry."

So, yeah. Quite comparable.

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
No one else besides Thee hath, at any time, been able to fathom Thy mystery, or befittingly to extol Thy greatness. Unsearchable and high above the praise of men wilt Thou remain forever. There is none other God but Thee, the Inaccessible, the Omnipotent, the Omniscient, the Holy of Holies- Gleanings from the Writings of Bahaullah I

Say: O ye lovers of the One true God! Strive, that ye may truly recognize and know Him, and observe befittingly His precepts. This is a Revelation, under which, if a man shed for its sake one drop of blood, myriads of oceans will be his recompense- Gleanings from the Writings of Bahaullah III

In the name of Him Who is the Supreme Ruler over all that hath been and all that is to be. The first duty prescribed by God for His servants is the recognition of Him Who is the Dayspring of His Revelation and the Fountain of His laws, Who representeth the Godhead in both the Kingdom of His Cause and the world of creation. Whoso achieveth this duty hath attained unto all good; and whoso is deprived thereof hath gone astray, though he be the author of every righteous deed- Kitab-i-Aqdas

Hasten to drink your fill, O men of understanding! They that have violated the Covenant of God by breaking His commandments, and have turned back on their heels, these have erred grievously in the sight of God, the All-Possessing, the Most High- Kitab-i-Aqdas

Not one single Manifestation of Holiness hath appeared but He was afflicted by the denials, the repudiation, and the vehement opposition of the people around Him. Thus it hath been revealed: “O the misery of men! No Messenger cometh unto them but they laugh Him to scorn." Again He saith: “Each nation hath plotted darkly against their Messenger to lay violent hold on Him, and disputed with vain words to invalidate the truth.”- Kitab-I-Iqan

And after Noah the light of the countenance of Húd shone forth above the horizon of creation. For well-nigh seven hundred years, according to the sayings of men, He exhorted the people to turn their faces and draw nearer unto the Riḍván of the divine presence. What showers of afflictions rained upon Him, until at last His adjurations bore the fruit of increased rebelliousness, and His assiduous endeavors resulted in the willful blindness of His people. “And their unbelief shall only increase for the unbelievers their own perdition."- Kitab-i-Iqan

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Let's just say I have serious doubts about your ability to judge poetry
Says the guy who compared the "literary" work in the OP to the Quraan? Favorably?

A metaphor for this has occurred to me. YMMV

If you, as a USonian, are accustomed to burgers, potato salad and KeyLime pie you might not appreciate Japanese sashimi or Indian curry stir fry. At least not the first time you try them, or any other exotic delicacy. You must first educate your palate before you can appreciate such foods.

Claiming that a McDonald's Quarterpounder is just as good makes you look ignorant and a poor judge of cuisine.

The Quran is, at the very least, a sublime work of art. It combines the musical talent of Bach, the literary excellence of Shakespeare, and the theological voice of the KJV. The fact that you don't "get" it is of little importance. It's a collection of artworks in a art form that just doesn't have a western equivalent. Of course you don't understand, you've never even tried to understand.
Tom

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No one else besides Thee hath, at any time, been able to fathom Thy mystery, or befittingly to extol Thy greatness. Unsearchable and high above the praise of men wilt Thou remain forever. There is none other God but Thee, the Inaccessible, the Omnipotent, the Omniscient, the Holy of Holies- Gleanings from the Writings of Bahaullah I

Say: O ye lovers of the One true God! Strive, that ye may truly recognize and know Him, and observe befittingly His precepts. This is a Revelation, under which, if a man shed for its sake one drop of blood, myriads of oceans will be his recompense- Gleanings from the Writings of Bahaullah III

In the name of Him Who is the Supreme Ruler over all that hath been and all that is to be. The first duty prescribed by God for His servants is the recognition of Him Who is the Dayspring of His Revelation and the Fountain of His laws, Who representeth the Godhead in both the Kingdom of His Cause and the world of creation. Whoso achieveth this duty hath attained unto all good; and whoso is deprived thereof hath gone astray, though he be the author of every righteous deed- Kitab-i-Aqdas

Hasten to drink your fill, O men of understanding! They that have violated the Covenant of God by breaking His commandments, and have turned back on their heels, these have erred grievously in the sight of God, the All-Possessing, the Most High- Kitab-i-Aqdas

Not one single Manifestation of Holiness hath appeared but He was afflicted by the denials, the repudiation, and the vehement opposition of the people around Him. Thus it hath been revealed: “O the misery of men! No Messenger cometh unto them but they laugh Him to scorn." Again He saith: “Each nation hath plotted darkly against their Messenger to lay violent hold on Him, and disputed with vain words to invalidate the truth.”- Kitab-I-Iqan

And after Noah the light of the countenance of Húd shone forth above the horizon of creation. For well-nigh seven hundred years, according to the sayings of men, He exhorted the people to turn their faces and draw nearer unto the Riḍván of the divine presence. What showers of afflictions rained upon Him, until at last His adjurations bore the fruit of increased rebelliousness, and His assiduous endeavors resulted in the willful blindness of His people. “And their unbelief shall only increase for the unbelievers their own perdition."- Kitab-i-Iqan

Where's the Arabic equivalent? for example what it says in Arabic for his words "Say: O ye lovers of the One true God"
What's the meaning of "true God", الله الحقيقى it looks odd, the one God means that God is only one, but why the true, no one
actually know God, does that mean there's one fake God.

I tried to find the Arabic translation but there's no surah and verse number similar to the bible and the quran.

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way
Where's the Arabic equivalent? for example what it says in Arabic for his words "Say: O ye lovers of the One true God"
What's the meaning of "true God", الله الحقيقى it looks odd, the one God means that God is only one, but why the true, no one
actually know God, does that mean there's one fake God.

I tried to find the Arabic translation but there's no surah and verse number similar to the bible and the quran.

I will have to admit I cannot help with Arabic, and I should have thought of it. Forgive me.