• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got a music challenge by my fianceè

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My fianceè is learning to play Ukulele and today she challenged me to learn how to play Acoustic Guitar :eek::eek:
I do play flute already, but to learn a totally new instrument will take a long time :cool:

Do you play an instrument?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My fianceè is learning to play Ukulele and today she challenged me to learn how to play Acoustic Guitar :eek::eek:
I do play flute already, but to learn a totally new instrument will take a long time :cool:

I have tried to learn guitar (acoustic, electric and bass) without success
I have tried to learn piano without success
I have had a go on drums and failed miserably
I have tried to master saxophone, again no success.
I once took a singing lesson, i got as far as "doh, ray, m..." before being asked to leave.

It seems i am totally tone deaf, have fingers that tie themselves in knots and am missing my rhythm.

My cats bring the expert critics that they are run and hide whenever i sing along to the radio.

leov

Find a comfortable guitar, have it set up and just play, you need 'train' your finger tips.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have tried to learn guitar (acoustic, electric and bass) without success
I have tried to learn piano without success
I have had a go on drums and failed miserably
I have tried to master saxophone, again no success.
I once took a singing lesson, i got as far as "doh, ray, m..." before being asked to leave.

It seems i am totally tone deaf, have fingers that tie themselves in knots and am missing my rhythm.

My cats bring the expert critics that they are run and hide whenever i sing along to the radio.
When my elementary school started teaching music,
they gave us some kind of test for suitability.
I spent the class sitting under the piano.
Why?
I don't remember, but I think it must've been a
mix of too little aptitude & too much attitude.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I recommend learning with a piece easy to play....

exchemist

Veteran Member

Only the voice. Though teachers always tell choristers their voice is their "instrument" and to be treated with due care.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Been playing guitar for almost 40 years and I'm still learning. Beethoven is purported to have said that the guitar is the easiest instrument to play---badly! But don't let that stop you. It takes time, patience, and finger conditioning to play even the simplest chord. But I agree with @leov, if you haven't already, take your guitar to a professional and have it set up properly. It can make all the difference and shouldn't cost that much.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I used to play guitar years ago, but had to give it up as I kept getting repetious stress injuries. :/

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I play the following instruments:
  • Piano
  • Synthesizers
  • Bansuri (bamboo flute)
  • Guitar
  • Hulusi
  • Didgeridoo
  • Native American flute
  • Khomus
  • Various gongs and bells
  • Various percussive instruments
  • Trombone
  • Probably a few others too, but never really developed voice as an instrument, though I can of course sing in general.
I've found that as you understand playing one instrument, it doesn't take long to pick up another. However, when it comes to the bansuri, that has been the most challenging instrument to learn, taking years to learn which is much longer than other instruments. The more I develop my skills on this, the better I am able to play other instruments, like the piano.

So expand yourself. Learn more than one instrument, and all your playing will improve.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I play the following instruments:
  • Piano
  • Synthesizers
  • Bansuri (bamboo flute)
  • Guitar
  • Hulusi
  • Didgeridoo
  • Native American flute
  • Khomus
  • Various gongs and bells
  • Various percussive instruments
  • Trombone
  • Probably a few others too, but never really developed voice as an instrument, though I can of course sing in general.
I've found that as you understand playing one instrument, it doesn't take long to pick up another. However, when it comes to the bansuri, that has been the most challenging instrument to learn, taking years to learn which is much longer than other instruments. The more I develop my skills on this, the better I am able to play other instruments, like the piano.

So expand yourself. Learn more than one instrument, and all your playing will improve.

My wife made me give my flute away...it was probably for the best.