• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I fear nothingness

Raithie

atheist
Do you fear death? Why, why not?

My position is yes: I fear nothingness.

This is probably directed at atheists in particular, but I'm interested in all responses.

I get that in death, you're no longer conscious and thus you cannot fear it once you have passed (unless you believe in an afterlife of some sort...). But, now that I am alive - I want to continue on living, and I find ceasing to be quite a terrifying thought. The link above explains my stance more thoroughly, so please don't just quote Mark Twain or Isaac Asimov.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Have you read Viktor Frankl at all?
I imagine there's comfort to be found in his words for an atheist afraid of death.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The idea of nothingness does indeed frighten me. It seems so unnatural.

HonestJoe

I'm not sure "fear" is the right word, at least not what was described in the article (with impressive eloquence for a sixteen year old - if only some "more mature" atheists gave these topics half as much thought).

This is really just part of the process of working through acceptance of the nature of the universe (regardless of what you believe that might be). This seems to be past any initial irrational fear and in to the rationalisation of where we are and developing the ability to get on with day to day life despite it rather than rocking in the corner hugging your knees.

BruceDLimber

Then you have no problem and nothing to fear because the Next Life is quite the opposite of "nothingness!"

Bruce

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I get that in death, you're no longer conscious and thus you cannot fear it once you have passed (unless you believe in an afterlife of some sort...). But, now that I am alive - I want to continue on living, and I find ceasing to be quite a terrifying thought. The link above explains my stance more thoroughly, so please don't just quote Mark Twain or Isaac Asimov.
Good writing on that blog.

If you think ceasing to be at death, the end of idea and thought, observing precious life, appreciation of beauty, sounds, sights, love, joy, is terrifying, try existential angst. It's the realization that you don't even have to wait until death for the end. :)

logician

This is probably directed at atheists in particular, but I'm interested in all responses.

As an atheist, of course there is the fear of nonexistence, but eternal existence could be something much more to be feared.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

Why dwell on the here-after like a theist if you're an atheist?

A life time is a long time, enjoy it fully and thoroughly.

Plenty enough time to worry when you're laying in your death bed.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If I believed there was nothing after this life, no I would not fear it.

However, I wouldn't dive into it.

I'd just accept it. Fearing it would do me nothing but ruin my precious moments upon this rock. Life should be spent living, not fearing.

Although I don't believe this is the end anyway, but I answered as if I did. :)

Just my take.

waitasec

Veteran Member

i think at that moment there is no fear just peace
sort of like what it was to be in your mothers womb.
think about it, being born is a violent experience. death is the opposite.

we are a form of energy and when we die we will change to the next form.
i recommend watching this series on a women call jill bolte taylor.
a fascinating thing happened to her
basically, she is a scientist that studies the brain and she experienced a left brain stroke and was awake to tell the story. only her right brian was fully functioning and to hear her tell her story is intriguing
it's a 12 part series but i recommend you watching it
i think this will give you a different perspective...

[youtube]b2KpDmRmZJw[/youtube]
YouTube - Stoke & Transformation | Jill Bolte Taylor, Part 1 of 12

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I suppose that I fear death....but not much. I have a special technique which you might try: Don't think about it much, accept the impermanence of life,
enjoy that which you enjoy, accomplish that which you want, & live life on your own terms.....& eat bacon.....& chocolate....& drink beer.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Here is my take on it:

No person, alive or dead, whether they are a rabbi, an imam or a priest, can tell me anything more about what happens after I am dead than I already know, which is nothing.

I do not expect there to be an afterlife and I fully accept that my death will probably be the end of my existence. There is no reason to believe anything else.

I do not fear death. Why should I? Billions of people have died before me, and many more die every day. I have everything to be grateful for and I know that my life has been better than what the vast majority of the people who have ever lived had the chance to experience, even as short as it has been so far.

I have never been oppressed. I have never known starvation. I have never been denied my own opinions. Knowledge has been made readily available to me. I have known love. I have known friendship. I have indulged in foods, wines, sex and experiences that have enriched my life tremendously.

To then complain that I should one day die tastes too much of whining.

When it is my time, it is my time. No more no less. Whether that day is tomorrow or fifty years from now. Of course, I hope for an absence of pain and that when the time comes I will be in possession of all of my faculties. But I have no right to demand either.

I do not fear death.

After all, there are much worse fates than that.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm very much at peace with being dead and "feeling nothing". I've long accepted that suffering exists only in life. But I guess it really depends on one's quality of life.

Stephen suggested reading Viktor Frankl. You may want some Albert Camus as well.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I'm very much at peace with being dead and "feeling nothing". I've long accepted that suffering exists only in life. But I guess it really depends on one's quality of life.

Stephen suggested reading Viktor Frankl. You may want some Albert Camus as well.

"I've long accepted that suffering exists only in life"
you are so right on!!! :clap

CarlinKnew

Ever gone under general anesthesia? How did you feel while you were unconscious? Didn't feel anything, did ya. That was nothingness. When your mind doesn't exist, you obviously can't experience anything. Just like the billions of years before you were born, so it will be after you die. Nothing to be afraid of, love. Don't worry about it. :beach: