• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't believe in god....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But where shall my title go. I don't believe in god but I am not absolutely sure.

Should I just be an atheist or one of those ppl in the middle?

While I don't believe in spirituality, I still cannot comprehend or why I would want to believe in anything that holds onto the dead.

If your not sure one way or another, I would suggest setting it aside for the time being. Its not like the truth as it really stands will go anywhere.

The way I view this is, since there happens to be no actual God speaking out or manifesting in any convincing way apart from solely what other people are claiming, there is no real need to address the question further than that. -NM-

joea

Oshoyoi
But where shall my title go. I don't believe in god but I am not absolutely sure.
MissAlice,
Believing in God is not a solution but a problem anyway Just be yourself and live life spontaneously. Don't look for that, that is agreeable or predictable.

The Khan

Defender of worlds
Thanks guys.

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't necessarly believe in god but sometimes I wonder what the definition of god is in a non literal sense. I'm not as wordly as most of you guys and my studies don't go deep and far. This is part of the reason why I joined this forum. It seems "spirituality" and religion are separate but equal. There are those who express that they "feel something" but aren't so keen on accepting any religious doctrine. My mom is also a good example of this.

I am not so great with wording things so I apologize if this comes off quirky. "The Khan" my mom and her side of the family are very deep into meditation and prayer. She use to make me necklaces telling me that they would send me love and good luck as she use to say. I think what worked was not the "luck" but the sense of believing. She was also a nurse and a "holistic" healer so no surprise there. She may not have cured people but she seem great at comforting and healing people in other senses. Perhaps it had something to do with fooling the mind into "believing" if you get what I'm saying.

Anyway maybe some of this so-called confusion has a lot to do with the way I was raised. I like what many of you pointed out but yet I still ask what "it" is or why I would even question the very existance of myself as well as others. From a scientific view it's from life but from another view, it still boggles me. Why we sense, feel and exist at all. I think that is where I place the word "spirituality" whenever I'm outside and I see so much life. Why life exists in the first place.

Relax, don't worry too much about it. The answers you seek always come, provided you have confidence in them.

DavyCrocket2003

Yeah, I have ADD (not ADHD). I understand very well. I had to rely on a self-help book to get me out of it. The power of now - Echart Tolle. Highly recommended. :)

My concentration went up to such a level that I was able to perform astral projections and have one lucid dream.

Holy Cow! You've read that book? I heard about it from a friend. It sounds pretty awesome!

The Khan

Defender of worlds
Holy Cow! You've read that book? I heard about it from a friend. It sounds pretty awesome!

Yeah, it's a good book. It doesn't teach anything about Astral Projection, although Tolle claims that when you're able to lucid dream on a daily basis, it's halfway to enlightenment. He claims that dreamless sleep is the ultimate stage.

Basically, Tolle teaches that when you control thoughts, you control your subconsciousness. I assume that's when lucid dreaming kicks in.

I personally noticed when I had lots of negativity in my mind, I often had bizarre nightmares. When my thoughts became more positive, my dreams started to become pleasant.

It's a fantastic book if you want to keep your mind free of any negativity, anxiety, and find peace in everything you do. I generally recommend it to people who are seeking spirituality rather than organised religion. ^.^

Last edited:

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
People always give Pascal's wager a lot of guff, but it was aimed mainly at people in your position. Not sure if you believe in a god or not sure which religion is right? Why not look into them and see if they hold any truth for you? Not sure if you'd like to be a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim...etc? Why not look into them and learn about them? What do you have to lose right? If anything, you may find some stuff you agree with and might learn about yourself and other people in the process. Perhaps it might help to test the different paths and see where they lead.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
People always give Pascal's wager a lot of guff, but it was aimed mainly at people in your position. Not sure if you believe in a god or not sure which religion is right? Why not look into them and see if they hold any truth for you? Not sure if you'd like to be a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim...etc? Why not look into them and learn about them? What do you have to lose right? If anything, you may find some stuff you agree with and might learn about yourself and other people in the process. Perhaps it might help to test the different paths and see where they lead.

Good point.

Even if it doesn't work and you stay in the exact same position you've lost nothing and gained knowledge.

Kind of win-win, huh?

The Bright Beast

*Insert Witty Title Here*

While I don't believe in spirituality, I still cannot comprehend or why I would want to believe in anything that holds onto the dead.

If you feel that you are unsure whether you believe in a deity, then maybe do some research into different religions, both with and without deities. Or, as you enjoy gardening, then you could look into religions that venerate the earth, as, to be a gardener, you somewhat have to at least appreciate it.

Or, there's the other option. Simply just don't classify yourself. Just say that you are you - an individual.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Just stay with your present outlook. When not slapping a bumper-sticker on my forehead, I simply let other people determine and apply a title if any.

St Giordano Bruno

The teleological argument was the last reason I believed in a supreme being but I have learnt complex system can emerge naturally such as through phase transitions, then I lost my last excuse to believe in a classical God.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
A lot of atheist's (myself included) don't like to be associated with the hard core atheists. For myself I create my own title. Right now I'm a Fact Nilist. I was a Santatheist for awhile and also a God of Nature servant.

Its fun and it keeps people thinking.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
A lot of atheist's (myself included) don't like to be associated with the hard core atheists. For myself I create my own title. Right now I'm a Fact Nilist. I was a Santatheist for awhile and also a God of Nature servant.

Its fun and it keeps people thinking.

I understand this broad brush from a vegetarian stand point vs the PETA stereotype a lot of people seem to have. "No... I'm not going to throw your Burger/God on the floor" lol