• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't believe in god....

MissAlice

But where shall my title go. I don't believe in god but I am not absolutely sure.

Should I just be an atheist or one of those ppl in the middle?

While I don't believe in spirituality, I still cannot comprehend or why I would want to believe in anything that holds onto the dead.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
But where shall my title go. I don't believe in god but I am not absolutely sure.

While I don't believe in spirituality, I still cannot comprehend or why I would want to believe in anything that holds onto the dead.
Oh come now, surely there is some theological Pablum that gits yer juices flowin'. :)

MissAlice

Oh come now, surely there is some theological Pablum that gits yer juices flowin'. :)

All right.....my plants are my gods....

If anyone didn't tell me who's land they belong to then may be this "god" wouldn't be such as an issue or perhaps I get so sick of the upper crust hearing this.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Now, now, Revoltingest. I'm afraid you are developing a poetic, definitely non-revolting bent.

I'm disappointed and proud of you. Frubals.

As for you, MissAlice, may I ask how much finding the right classification is for you? And why? I've consistently moved into believing that God's existence is not only unlikely, but ultimately and above all unimportant either way.

MissAlice

I don't know I guess growing up as a child, I expected things to go my way if I worked hard at it.

I just get sick and tired of people telling me that I need to pray or I'm not praying hard enough. There was a time I believed in that stuff but now....now I don't know what I'm going to do if I keep hearing friends and relatives tell me I'm not praying hard enough. It just gets annoying after one too many times. >_<

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If you don't believe in any gods, you're an atheist.
If you feel that you don't know (or can't know) whether god(s) exist or not, you're an agnostic.
If you reject religion, you're irreligious.

Since it seems (to me, at least) that several terms apply to you, it's up to you to decide which one you're going to self-apply as the "best fit" for your position. And you can choose to not self-apply any at all.

Personally, I'm an atheist. However, I call myself a humanist and a secularist more often now, because these terms about a number of things that I do believe say more about me than a term about a single thing that I don't believe.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You can be Just Me, like me. :D
Oh, stop with the crazy talk. :)

Today, I am doing a bit of masonry work... it's my time to get in tune with a 22 year old rock wall around one of the gardens. Sort of like god, tending to god, shoring up the weak parts for the greater good. Ah... who would have thought of the spiritual implications of doing cement work, lol. Oh god.... :D

After that, I will tend to an ailing wheelbarrow who has a flaccid tire. The poor thing has been miserable for a few weeks, but today I will make it a happy wheelbarrow, ready to serve at a moment's notice.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Then you're an atheist, and also agnostic.

However, don't focus too much on using these labels as 99% of the time people's interpretation of what these labels mean, probably won't match your own. Just say "I don't believe in god, but I'm not absolutely sure."

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"I don't believe in god, but I'm not absolutely sure."
Heaven forbid that people just be honest, eh? I think MissyAlice is perhaps one of the most honest people in expressing her viewpoints. Plus... what isn't there to like about plants?

The Khan

Defender of worlds
ADHD.

I have trouble focusing on one thing at a time.

Yeah, I have ADD (not ADHD). I understand very well. I had to rely on a self-help book to get me out of it. The power of now - Echart Tolle. Highly recommended. :)

My concentration went up to such a level that I was able to perform astral projections and have one lucid dream.

MissAlice

Thanks guys.

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't necessarly believe in god but sometimes I wonder what the definition of god is in a non literal sense. I'm not as wordly as most of you guys and my studies don't go deep and far. This is part of the reason why I joined this forum. It seems "spirituality" and religion are separate but equal. There are those who express that they "feel something" but aren't so keen on accepting any religious doctrine. My mom is also a good example of this.

I am not so great with wording things so I apologize if this comes off quirky. "The Khan" my mom and her side of the family are very deep into meditation and prayer. She use to make me necklaces telling me that they would send me love and good luck as she use to say. I think what worked was not the "luck" but the sense of believing. She was also a nurse and a "holistic" healer so no surprise there. She may not have cured people but she seem great at comforting and healing people in other senses. Perhaps it had something to do with fooling the mind into "believing" if you get what I'm saying.

Anyway maybe some of this so-called confusion has a lot to do with the way I was raised. I like what many of you pointed out but yet I still ask what "it" is or why I would even question the very existance of myself as well as others. From a scientific view it's from life but from another view, it still boggles me. Why we sense, feel and exist at all. I think that is where I place the word "spirituality" whenever I'm outside and I see so much life. Why life exists in the first place.