• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huguenots and Jews

Nicolaus

In my genealogy there a lot of Huguenots. I presume that some of hem maybe of Jewish decent.
I like to come in contact with people who also want to discuss the possibility , that Huguenots in some cases are from Jewish heritage. I did much research in Amsterdam and other places.

Almost 47 years I am working in free time to find out the religions of my anscestors.

My native language is Dutch so my English won t be perfect. (Sorry).

exchemist

Veteran Member
In my genealogy there a lot of Huguenots. I presume that some of hem maybe of Jewish decent.
I like to come in contact with people who also want to discuss the possibility , that Huguenots in some cases are from Jewish heritage. I did much research in Amsterdam and other places.

Almost 47 years I am working in free time to find out the religions of my anscestors.

That's interesting. I once had a Jewish Dutch boss at Shell who claimed his ancestors were Huguenots. I never understood what he meant, as I thought the Huguenots were French Protestants rather than Jewish. So I'd be interested to understand what connection there is between the Huguenots and Jews.

Nicolaus

That's interesting. I once had a Jewish Dutch boss at Shell who claimed his ancestors were Huguenots. I never understood what he meant, as I thought the Huguenots were French Protestants rather than Jewish. So I'd be interested to understand what connection there is between the Huguenots and Jews.

Thank you exhemist for your very interesting answer. My own research started when I found an anscestor from France who came to Zeeland (South of the Dutch province Holland) (270) years ago named Sara she married an Abraham who was silver and goldsmith.

Sara and Abraham where Huguenots, but Sara teached weaving and she teached a Jewish girl. (Prove 1806 now in a British museum).

So bells began to ring. Than I compared the very first settlers in Amsterdam who where Jews and compare them with the settlers from France who where Huguenots.
Names where very alike. The Sephardic Jews became very important in Dutch trade. You could say that our Golden Age is partly their contribution.

My Huguenot family lived in the Jewish "ghetto" in Amsterdam between 1740 and 1930.

I could write a book about it, but it als has to do with 1492. The Jews where send away from Spain and Portugal. Most of them flew to France (La Rochelle was famous like for the Huguenots) , but also to the Provence.Most Huguenots came from Catalonia. Jews?
Al lot of them flew to Nederlands Brazilie (Dutch Brasil) a long story. The West Indian compagnie (WIC) brougt them too Flanders and later to Amsterdam.

Also a lot of them emigrated to the USA (New Amsterdam now New York). And too South Carolina. Abraham Lavender wrote a book about this subject. I want to contact him , but I do not know how to reach him. I tried facebook etc. No result.

I have to take care of my mother she is almost 94 so my time is limited and my financial position is not good so I not effort to travel. Then only the internet leaves.

Nevertheless I hop to get more interesting answers. I hope to do a DNA test some day, to prove if my theory is a fact. Thank you Terry and Sunrise for your answers.

leov

do you think your ancestors are originally Jews from Spain? (1492)

Terry Sampson

I hope to do a DNA test some day, to prove if my theory is a fact.

Permit me to suggest the following, if and when you have the financial ability to do a DNA test:
  • Order your test from Ancestry.com.
    • Watch for reductions in price. The company occasionally reduces the price of a test a little bit, but I believe that I have seen the company reduce the price to about $59.00 (U.S.) about two times per year.
    • Why do I suggest that company? Because, when the company tells you that your DNA results are available, you can download the DNA zip file and upload it to FamilytreeDNA.com for free. FamilytreeDNA.com (FTDNA) is a separate genealogical DNA company but it currently has a free-transfer policy under which you can transfer your AncestryDNA results into FTDNA's database. For an additional $19.00 (U.S.) FTDNA will give you its ethnic background estimates. AncestryDNA and FTDNA both offer ethnic Background estimates, BUT their estimates will differ because their ethnic reference groups are not identical.
    • So, testing first with AncestryDNA and transferring your results into FTDNA gives your DNA twice the exposure for almost the same amount of money. If you test first with FTDNA, AncestryDNA does not accept transfers from other companies, so you would have to pay again to get AncestryDNA test results.
    • Note: AncestryDNA's test only tests autosomal DNA. FTDNA's "Family Finder" test also tests only autosomal DNA. FTDNA tests Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA but those two tests are very expensive.
  • Also, although DNA test ethnic background estimates are interesting, my favorite use for the tests is to meet other people with whom I share DNA.
More importantly, are you familiar with the genealogical records that are available through the Church of the Latter-Day-Saints (the Mormons)?
You do not have to be a Mormon to access the records and they are often a very valuable genealogical resource.

Nicolaus

do you think your ancestors are originally Jews from Spain? (1492)

Only DNA can prove this. I have black hair , blue eyes and I am lactose intolerant since my childhood. Most Jews (90%) are lactose intolerant too. So have some reason to think that is the case.

Most of my Huguenot anscestors came from Middelburg. (Zeeland)
Unfortunatly the Archive was destroyed due to bombing and fire in 1940. However some records where saved in other archives. The Netherlands is really a wonderful country if you want you trace your genealogical past.

Middelburg was a very important town for trade with the Americas, Dutch Brasil and the Dutch Indies. (Indonesia).
I found a lot of archives which where found outside of Middelburg. Dutch Zeeland (Sealand).

Most of my anscestors from Middelburg where in the WIC ( West Indian Compagnie) between 1650-1750.

They where big shippers. They sailed to Africa and Surinam.

There was a big trade and relation between Amsterdam and Middelburg. Peter Stuyvesant came from Zeeland...

If I can help someone with (Jewish) anscestors from Amsterdam , I will gladly do it. :)

Nicolaus

Here's something that folks may find interesting -

The Huguenots, the Jews, and Me | Azure
RabbiO ,thank you for this very interesting information! But I have proof , that Jews converted specially in The Netherlands ( = Flanders and the Northern Netherlands proper) to Catholisism and Protestantism. (From 1585) After the fall of Antwerp. (De val van Antwerpen) . Just because of economical reasons. I have some records from that period that prove this.
Most of the Jews did not convert. My family lived in Amsterdam in the Jewish district. From 1740 on. I made a study of it. It is ,until now, not published. That is why I want to find people who are interested. Most of the descendents of the Jewish part of Amsterdam died in the Shoah. So I can not expect many people who are interested. However if there are still relatives of that region left. They are living outside Europe. First I suppose in Israel , than United States, Canada and Australia I presume. In the Netherlands, only 22000 Jews out of now 17 million 2019 living other people are left....very sad.
Amsterdam was Mokum. A very Jewish city. Thats the past and I am very sad about it.

leov

Only DNA can prove this. I have black hair , blue eyes and I am lactose intolerant since my childhood. Most Jews (90%) are lactose intolerant too. So have some reason to think that is the case.

Most of my Huguenot anscestors came from Middelburg. (Zeeland)
Unfortunatly the Archive was destroyed due to bombing and fire in 1940. However some records where saved in other archives. The Netherlands is really a wonderful country if you want you trace your genealogical past.

Middelburg was a very important town for trade with the Americas, Dutch Brasil and the Dutch Indies. (Indonesia).
I found a lot of archives which where found outside of Middelburg. Dutch Zeeland (Sealand).

Most of my anscestors from Middelburg where in the WIC ( West Indian Compagnie) between 1650-1750.

They where big shippers. They sailed to Africa and Surinam.

There was a big trade and relation between Amsterdam and Middelburg. Peter Stuyvesant came from Zeeland...

If I can help someone with (Jewish) anscestors from Amsterdam , I will gladly do it. :)
Fwiw, Sephardic Jews in the Netherlands - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!
I'm catching up with all the new posters' threads I missed.
Join us for the free (staff paid for) breakfast....
th

Sue

My ancestors came from St. Malo, Brittany, France. I am trying to trace their Jewish and Huguenot history.

In the 1500s, Olive Lejuiff married Jehan Leroy. I am a direct descendent. Their marriage is noted in Ancien Registres Paroissiaux de Bretagne: Baptismes, Marriages, Sepultures [anterieurs a 1793] at p. 29. Was Olive a practicing Jew? Converted? to Catholicism or a Huguenot? I

Olive is the daughter of Jehan LeJuiff, b. 1488 at St. Malo, Sieur de Champadavoine, lawyer and procurator, Lieutenant of the Court of St. Malo, and Guyonne Derrien, b. 1503 at La Roche-Guyon, Dept. du Val d'Oise, d. 1558 at St. Malo.

Jean LeJuiff, father of Jehan LeJuiff, b. 1462 at St. Malo, was a "fermier" in charge of collecting rights "on the marches of du Plessis.

Jean LeJuiff's mother was Joan Seaman, b. 1475 d. 1507 and father was William [Guillaume] Bibye Bibte LeJuiff, b. 1480 at St. Malo, d. 1522.

Guillaume Bibye, b. 1440 in Rennes and d. 1502 in Rennes. He was a "paroissieuns" of Ploubalay in 1477. What does that mean? His wife was Isabel Phillipe, b. 1430 d. 1490.

Although I found others named LeJuiff, I could not connect them to my genealogical chain. Pierre LeJuiff in 1519 married Michelle LeGay "paroissienne de St. Catherine de Honfleur. On 4/25/1360 Jehan LeJuiff was treasurer of Toulouse. In 1518, Charles LeJuiff lived on the Rue de Bourret; Fauxbourgs of Mourlaix. In April, 1522, Robert LeJuiff was the godfather of Robert Cartier son of Jehan Cartier and Jehanne le Moyne.

I need help understanding what was the religion of the above people and tracing their genealogy further back.

Coming forward in time...

Mathurin Leroy b. 10/5/1545 married Jeanne Pestel, b. 4/17/1540, on 1/25/1568 in St. Malo. Were they Huguenots?

Michel Leroy was baptised 7/19/1580 at Lanrelais, Cotes d'Armor. Married Jeanne Morel. Died 1611 in La Rochelle.

His son Mathurin Roy, b. 3/18/1611? 1610? at Notre Dame de Cognes, La Rochelle. He married Margaret Bire in LaRochelle. Mathurin Leroy was baptised? at Notre Dame de Cognes, La Rochelle in 1610. Does this mean that he was a Catholic? He immigrated from LaRochelle to Quebec, Canada in 1646. He died at Charlesbourg, Quebec on 10/12/1676. His wife Marguerite Bire was born at La Rochelle, France in 1616 and died in Quebec 3/27/1675.

Their son, Etienne Roy was born on 8/7/1641 in LaRochelle and died on March 1, 1690 in Charlesbourg, Quebec, Canada. He married Marguerite Navarre 8/26/1669.

My ancestors immigrated to the US in the mid 1800s. To the best of my knowledge at that time the family was Protestant and remained so to today.

Any help you can provide regarding the history of my family and their religion in France and Canada would be greatly appreciated.

exchemist

Veteran Member
My ancestors came from St. Malo, Brittany, France. I am trying to trace their Jewish and Huguenot history.

In the 1500s, Olive Lejuiff married Jehan Leroy. I am a direct descendent. Their marriage is noted in Ancien Registres Paroissiaux de Bretagne: Baptismes, Marriages, Sepultures [anterieurs a 1793] at p. 29. Was Olive a practicing Jew? Converted? to Catholicism or a Huguenot? I

Olive is the daughter of Jehan LeJuiff, b. 1488 at St. Malo, Sieur de Champadavoine, lawyer and procurator, Lieutenant of the Court of St. Malo, and Guyonne Derrien, b. 1503 at La Roche-Guyon, Dept. du Val d'Oise, d. 1558 at St. Malo.

Jean LeJuiff, father of Jehan LeJuiff, b. 1462 at St. Malo, was a "fermier" in charge of collecting rights "on the marches of du Plessis.

Jean LeJuiff's mother was Joan Seaman, b. 1475 d. 1507 and father was William [Guillaume] Bibye Bibte LeJuiff, b. 1480 at St. Malo, d. 1522.

Guillaume Bibye, b. 1440 in Rennes and d. 1502 in Rennes. He was a "paroissieuns" of Ploubalay in 1477. What does that mean? His wife was Isabel Phillipe, b. 1430 d. 1490.

Although I found others named LeJuiff, I could not connect them to my genealogical chain. Pierre LeJuiff in 1519 married Michelle LeGay "paroissienne de St. Catherine de Honfleur. On 4/25/1360 Jehan LeJuiff was treasurer of Toulouse. In 1518, Charles LeJuiff lived on the Rue de Bourret; Fauxbourgs of Mourlaix. In April, 1522, Robert LeJuiff was the godfather of Robert Cartier son of Jehan Cartier and Jehanne le Moyne.

I need help understanding what was the religion of the above people and tracing their genealogy further back.

Coming forward in time...

Mathurin Leroy b. 10/5/1545 married Jeanne Pestel, b. 4/17/1540, on 1/25/1568 in St. Malo. Were they Huguenots?

Michel Leroy was baptised 7/19/1580 at Lanrelais, Cotes d'Armor. Married Jeanne Morel. Died 1611 in La Rochelle.

His son Mathurin Roy, b. 3/18/1611? 1610? at Notre Dame de Cognes, La Rochelle. He married Margaret Bire in LaRochelle. Mathurin Leroy was baptised? at Notre Dame de Cognes, La Rochelle in 1610. Does this mean that he was a Catholic? He immigrated from LaRochelle to Quebec, Canada in 1646. He died at Charlesbourg, Quebec on 10/12/1676. His wife Marguerite Bire was born at La Rochelle, France in 1616 and died in Quebec 3/27/1675.

Their son, Etienne Roy was born on 8/7/1641 in LaRochelle and died on March 1, 1690 in Charlesbourg, Quebec, Canada. He married Marguerite Navarre 8/26/1669.

My ancestors immigrated to the US in the mid 1800s. To the best of my knowledge at that time the family was Protestant and remained so to today.

Any help you can provide regarding the history of my family and their religion in France and Canada would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know much about the history of Protestantism in France but la Rochelle was a centre of the Huguenots I think. More here: Siege of La Rochelle - Wikipedia

So I suspect Mathurin Roy was baptised a Protestant.