• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge gap between humans and animals

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How that is explained by science, we can see different kinds of animals horses, donkeys, dogs,
different kind of birds, but why humans are unique?
I believe that humans are unique because they have a rational soul. Animals have a spirit but that is not the same thing as a soul.

The Rational Soul

The essential identity of every human being is a rational and immortal soul. The physical world is a place of composition and decomposition, of progress and decline. But the soul suffers no disintegration and no regression. It is “entirely out of the order of the physical creation”.1

We cannot understand the exact nature of the soul. It is, Bahá’u’lláh says, “a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind…can ever hope to unravel.2 The soul is ‘the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him”.3

Each individual life begins when the soul associates itself with the embryo at the time of conception. But the association is not material; the soul does not enter or leave the body and does not occupy physical space. Bahá’u’lláh uses the metaphor of the sun to explain the relationship between the soul and the body: “The soul of man is the sun by which his body is illumined, and from which it draweth its sustenance, and should be so regarded.4

The Bahá’í writings explain that such faculties of the mind as thought, reasoning, understanding and imagination are “inherent properties of the soul, even as the radiation of light is the essential property of the sun.5 The body of a man is “like unto a mirror, his soul is as the sun, and his mental faculties even as the rays that emanate from that source of light.6

It is through the exercise of the powers of the soul that human progress is achieved. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá has said that the soul “can discover the realities of things, comprehend the peculiarities of beings, and penetrate the mysteries of existence. All sciences, knowledge, arts, wonders, institutions, discoveries and enterprises come from the exercised intelligence of the rational soul.7 He continues, stating that there was a time when such realities “were unknown, preserved mysteries and hidden secrets; the rational soul gradually discovered them and brought them out from the plane of the invisible and the hidden into the realm of the visible.8
The Rational Soul | What Bahá’ís Believe

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Why only humans are different than the rest of animals in terms of thinking, talking
and the way of living, no animal can be compared to humans?

Why we can't even see animals in midway between humans and animals in
terms of thinking, talking and the ability to invent ..etc?

How that is explained by science, we can see different kinds of animals horses, donkeys, dogs,
Humans are aware of their 'I-feeling' which qualifies them to do sadhana (introspective exercises or meditation).
Some animals such as dogs, dolphins, elephants, some birds are on their way to be able to do the same, but they would need to develop larger brains as we did during the last few million years.

Last edited:

sealchan

Why only humans are different than the rest of animals in terms of thinking, talking

My sense is that certain combinations of small changes were critical. One scientist argued that having the right size and shape of the throat allowed vocalizations to become whole tones and not noisy screeches (like monkeys). This in turn allowed for different vocalizations to be more precise and distinct and allowed language to develop.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
We are not very good at flying
We are unique in one major respect...our brain has evolved faster than other animals

Several kind of birds can fly, but humans are the only one kind that live a life
completely different than all animals on earth.

All animals walking naked except humans, why only humans from all animals
have specific way of life, all animals living similarly regardless of what things
they differ from each others, such as thinking of the size of the blue whale
or the poison of the snakes...etc , no animal on earth has a similar way
of life similar to humans.

Altfish

Veteran Member
All animals walking naked except humans, why only humans from all animals
have specific way of life, all animals living similarly regardless of what things
they differ from each others, such as thinking of the size of the blue whale
or the poison of the snakes...etc , no animal on earth has a similar way
of life similar to humans.
It is down to brain size! We learnt to make tools and with those tools clothes.
That enabled humans to move out of Africa.
I don't know what you are trying to say when you state "no animal on earth has a similar way of life similar to humans"
You could equally say that no other animal has a similar way of life similar to octopuses. What does it prove?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Saying that we enhance the lives of other species is a massive stretch. I'd say we ruin most of them.

That is an opinion. I mean what are hospitals for? What are veterinarian hospitals for? What are medical research facilities for? Do you take vitamins? I think by and large humans do good its just that negativity tends to overshadow positive actions.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
That choice of course would be a prejudicial one. The dog would probably pick to be a dog. And the dog might be right.

On matters of objective truth, when it comes to survivability, two humans together increases their likelihood of survival. Dogs are instinctual creatures, I don't see any dogs navigating across land to get to a safe zone.

Jumi

To the OP. Humans took out the other human-like competitors. Our ancestors basically killed those who were most like us, so we're left, not the Neanderthals or Heidelbergensis.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Rubbish, we are a great ape.

Labeling won't change facts that humans are far different than chimpanzee,
for example tigers and lions are labeled as Pantheras but they're very
close in their way of life, humans are far different than all animals

Why humans are the only unique creature on earth that have completely different
way of life?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
To the OP. Humans took out the other human-like competitors. Our ancestors basically killed those who were most like us, so we're left, not the Neanderthals or Heidelbergensis.

And in the whole earth we can see all kinds of animals that share the same way of
life except humans that has a unique way of life.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Humans are primates with a few specialities. Other primates have different specialities

DiuV55hUYAAKVs-.jpg

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It is down to brain size! We learnt to make tools and with those tools clothes.
That enabled humans to move out of Africa.
I don't know what you are trying to say when you state "no animal on earth has a similar way of life similar to humans"
You could equally say that no other animal has a similar way of life similar to octopuses. What does it prove?

Similar way of life, I mean that great ability of thinking and communicate, no animal
on earth can be compared with the way of life that human has, a great gap between
animals and humans.

Jumi

And in the whole earth we can see all kinds of animals that share the same way of
life except humans that has a unique way of life.
Yes because our ancestors killed the others who were most like us, so they didn't get to develop a culture like we have today.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Yes because our ancestors killed the others who were most like us, so they didn't get to develop a culture like we have today.

And that is guessing, right.
Do we have proofs that recent humans have killed all creatures that
were very similar to us?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Similar way of life, I mean that great ability of thinking and communicate, no animal
on earth can be compared with the way of life that human has, a great gap between
animals and humans.

Not so great a gap, dolphins, pigs, most corvins, chimpanzee, elephant, octopus, dogs, rats are not that far behind us

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No.

Yes, there is a lot of evidence about others like us that don't exist anymore except as bones. Have you heard about the Neanderthals and Denisovans?

What is the evidence that recent humans have killed all of them?