• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge gap between humans and animals

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh sorry. When you say unique, I guess you mean unique to other animals, but are they?
Can we really tell if there is a unique difference in intelligence, between the vast diversity of animal life.

We might think, that the intelligence of a dog may not be the same a a dolphin, but what makes a dolphin's intelligence unique to an orca's? Or what make the intelligence of a lion different to a python, or octopus.

Man can only guess, but does it not have to do with abilities rather than intelligent? Each animal uses what it has.
A snake can't run on legs, but like a lion, is waits for and sneaks up on it's prey. All it's doing is using a strategy to get into position to be sure it's prey does not escape. Then it goes for the kill, eats to satisfaction, and off it goes. The end... until it's hungry again.
I think you might be mistaking my position.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think what many are missing is I think @FearGod is referring to the human ability to do things outstanding that no other creatures has done. Humans have the ability to either enhance the lives of other creatures or destroy it. Humans have the unique position outside of language and faculty to determine the lives of other people. No other species on this planet in the history of the existence of Earth has ever created a judicial system where offenses are judged. No other species has created weapons of mass destruction. No other species has created medicines that both help (as well as hurt) different species besides humans.

Other creatures have complex systems relative to their species but humanity is in a category of its own which makes the homo sapien species unique.
I understand the post. I just dont agree it's nearly as significant as being emphasized. Humans being uniquely intelligent even to such a degree of tool usage and invention doesn't make us any more unique on the whole than the unique characteristics other animals posess. Especially in terms of evolution, the process that gets from the intelligence of other apes to the intelligence of humans is no more special or significant (or different) than getting from the eyesight of other birds to the eyesight of owls. The most sophisticated example of the structure.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
All animals are unique! :D The size of an animal doesn't indicate their importance. The universe is so so big and the tiniest things can be so so small but every living thing plays a part in its existence. :)

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I understand the post. I just dont agree it's nearly as significant as being emphasized. Humans being uniquely intelligent even to such a degree of tool usage and invention doesn't make us any more unique on the whole than the unique characteristics other animals posess. Especially in terms of evolution, the process that gets from the intelligence of other apes to the intelligence of humans is no more special or significant (or different) than getting from the eyesight of other birds to the eyesight of owls. The most sophisticated example of the structure.

You understand the post but you're not going to concede that humans are vastly unique in their own right. I don't see an owl writing literature on the significance of sexual education for HIV prevention. Human beings are vastly different than any other species. Humans have the capability to destroy the entire planet if we chose to. an owl cannot do that. I'm sure if you were stuck in the wild and you had the choice between a dog and a human I'm sure you'd pick a human.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You understand the post but you're not going to concede that humans are vastly unique in their own right. I don't see an owl writing literature on the significance of sexual education for HIV prevention. Human beings are vastly different than any other species. Humans have the capability to destroy the entire planet if we chose to. an owl cannot do that. I'm sure if you were stuck in the wild and you had the choice between a dog and a human I'm sure you'd pick a human.
Once again I'm not comparing human intelligence to other animals. I'm saying that humans being more intelligent than other animals is no more significant than sharks having a completely different sophisticated fifth sense for electrical detection that other animals don't have.
Unique, yes. Miraculous? No. It's just another example of natural selection putting pressure towards a biological trait until it becomes the most exaggerated of that family group. Literally like every other evolutionary process.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Genus Homo-species may have came into being when a couple of Australopithecus hetero zygotes, who had the same type of chromosome rearrangements formed by fusion of the whole long arms of two acrocentric chromosomes, mated together and reproduced viable and fertile offspring with 46 chromosomes. This first generation of Homo habilis then may have likely incestuously bred with each other and reproduced the next subsequent generation of Homo habilis.

chromosome_fusion2.png

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
You know as I know that humans are a unique creatures on this planet,
but you and some others making excuses to think that all creatures
are the same, all are unique, the ant is great in lifting, the blue whale
is great in size, humans are great in inventing.

I wonder if you can differentiate the faces of 2 ants.
no one is arguing that humans aren't unique. we are arguing against that you don't think anything else is except the human species. That's just stupid.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I think what many are missing is I think @FearGod is referring to the human ability to do things outstanding that no other creatures has done. Humans have the ability to either enhance the lives of other creatures or destroy it. Humans have the unique position outside of language and faculty to determine the lives of other people. No other species on this planet in the history of the existence of Earth has ever created a judicial system where offenses are judged. No other species has created weapons of mass destruction. No other species has created medicines that both help (as well as hurt) different species besides humans.

Other creatures have complex systems relative to their species but humanity is in a category of its own which makes the homo sapien species unique.
Saying that we enhance the lives of other species is a massive stretch. I'd say we ruin most of them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That choice of course would be a prejudicial one. The dog would probably pick to be a dog. And the dog might be right.

QuestioningMind

Just as a fun point of interest (I swear I'm not trying to be pedantic) most birds (with exceptions) but especially songbirds have a lousy sense of smell. Even worse than humans. In social birds like doves, sea birds and fowl, identification is almost all based on voice and body language.

My first thought was to use dogs as the example, since I know they have a keen sense of smell, but I foolishly decided to choose an animal used in the example, and clearly picked the wrong one. Thanks for helping to inform me.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Homo habilis is thought to have mastered the Lower Paleolithic Olduwan tool set, which used stone flakes. H. habilis used these stones to butcher and skin the animals. These stone flakes were more advanced than any tools previously used, and gave H. habilis the edge it needed to prosper in hostile environments previously too formidable for primates. Whether H. habilis was the first hominin to master stone tool technology remains controversial, as Australopithecus garhi, dated to 2.6 million years ago, has been found along with stone tool implements.

Most experts assume the intelligence and social organization of H. habilis were more sophisticated than typical australopithecines or chimpanzees. H. habilis used tools primarily for scavenging, such as cleaving meat off carrion, rather than defense or hunting. Yet, despite tool usage, H. habilis was not the master hunter its sister species (or descendants) proved to be, as ample fossil evidence indicates H. habilis was a staple in the diet of large predatory animals, such as Dinofelis, a large scimitar-toothed predatory cat the size of a jaguar.

Reference: Homo habilis - Wikipedia

870.png

Homo ergaster used more diverse and sophisticated stone tools than its predecessors, where early Homo erectus used comparatively primitive tools. This is probably because H. ergaster inherited, used, and created tools first of Oldowan technology and later advanced the technology to the Acheulean. Because the use of Acheulean tools began ca. 1.8 million years ago,[and the line of H. erectus diverged some 200,000 years before the general innovation of Acheulean industry in Africa, then it is plausible that the Asian migratory descendants of H. erectus made no use of Acheulean technology. It has been suggested that the Asian H. erectus may have been the first humans to use rafts to travel over bodies of water, including oceans. And the oldest stone tool found in Turkeyreveals that hominins passed through the Anatolian gateway from western Asia to Europe approximately 1.2 million years ago—much earlier than previously thought.

East African sites, such as Chesowanja near Lake Baringo, Koobi Fora, and Olorgesailie in Kenya, show potential evidence that fire was utilized by early humans. At Chesowanja, archaeologists found fire-hardened clay fragments, dated to 1.42 M.Y.A.[72] Analysis showed that, in order to harden it, the clay must have been heated to about 400 °C (752 °F). At Koobi Fora, two sites show evidence of control of fire by Homo erectus at about 1.5 M.Y.A., with reddening of sediment associated with heating the material to 200–400 degrees Celsius (392–752 degrees Fahrenheit). At a "hearth-like depression" at a site in Olorgesailie, Kenya, some microscopic charcoal was found—but that could have resulted from natural brush fires.

In Gadeb, Ethiopia, fragments of welded tuff that appeared to have been burned, or scorched, were found alongside H. erectus–created Acheulean artifacts; but such re-firing of the rocks may have been caused by local volcanic activity. In the Middle Awash River Valley, cone-shaped depressions of reddish clay were found that could have been created only by temperatures of 200 °C (392 °F) or greater. These features are thought to be burnt tree stumps such that the fire was likely away from a habitation site. Burnt stones are found in the Awash Valley, but naturally burnt (volcanic) welded tuff is also found in the area.

A site at Bnot Ya'akov Bridge, Israel is reported to show evidence that H. erectus or H. ergaster controlled fire there between 790,000 and 690,000 years ago; to date this claim has been widely accepted. Some evidence is found that H. erectus was controlling fire less than 250,000 years ago. Evidence also exists that H. erectus were cooking their food as early as 500,000 years ago.[74] Re-analysis of burnt bone fragments and plant ashes from the Wonderwerk Cave, South Africa, has been dubbed evidence supporting human control of fire there by 1 M.Y.A.

There is archaeological evidence that Homo erectus cooked their food.

Homo erectus was probably the first hominin to live in a hunter-gatherer society, and anthropologists such as Richard Leakey believe that erectus was socially more like modern humans than the more Australopithecus-like species before it. Likewise, increased cranial capacity generally coincides with the more sophisticated tools occasionally found with fossils.

The discovery of Turkana boy (H. ergaster) in 1984 evidenced that, despite its Homo sapiens-like anatomy, ergaster may not have been capable of producing sounds comparable to modern human speech. It likely communicated in a proto-language lacking the fully developed structure of modern human language but more developed than the non-verbal communication used by chimpanzees.This inference is challenged by the find in Dmanisi, Georgia, of an H. ergaster / erectus vertebrae (at least 150,000 years earlier than the Turkana Boy) that reflects vocal capabilities within the range of H. sapiens. Both brain size and the presence of the Broca's area also support the use of articulate language.

Linguist Daniel Everett has argued that H. erectus may have been the first hominin to evolve the capability of language because their level of social organization and technical sophistication must have required a complex communication system

Reference: Homo erectus - Wikipedia

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Well of course I am not speaking of animals being able to identify animals. If I could smell water for a mile, I'd probably be able to identify a thousand male lions in a pack.

I'm talking about humans identifying animals.
Whereas, we can easily tell the difference between humans by appearance, and habits, we cannot do so with animals That's why they tag them when they want to study them.

If what you say is true, point to a real example of someone who can catch a healthy lion, or shark, and keep it for a week. Release it - no tag, and after a week, go and search for it, and identify it.

Take a million years if you like.

Sorry... I guess I missed whatever point you were trying to make. Based on the OP I assumed that you were pointing this out as a 'unique' trait or ability of humans.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I admire the intelligence of animals, but the do not come close to the vastly superior intelligence of humans.

Gorillas and chimp intelligence has been estimated to be on the order of a 4-7 year old human child at least when measuring capability for learning. That's not "vastly" superior.