• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How true is your truth?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So we live in this weird time and place now. You can research your own beliefs and come to terms with what is out there. Was 9/11 an inside job? Did we find aliens at roswell? Was Jesus god's son?

Have you researched your truths before arguing them? We have all this technology which connects us to everyone else. Do you care what the rest of the humans think?

I tend toward sharing my truths rather than arguing them. How others judge my worldview, which based on my own experiences and subsequent research in order to understand those experiences, is of no consequence to me.

That said, I'm not much for conspiracy theories. I tend to stick with experiential evidences in the development of my truths.

Poulton College

So we live in this weird time and place now. You can research your own beliefs and come to terms with what is out there. Was 9/11 an inside job? Did we find aliens at roswell? Was Jesus god's son?

Have you researched your truths before arguing them? We have all this technology which connects us to everyone else. Do you care what the rest of the humans think?
Good thought provoking question. There is a book in our library by Keith Prosser called "Was Jesus Crucified?". In it he examines the evidence for Jesus' birth and death and finds that the earliest Christian and non-Christian evidence uninamously supports the biblical view that Jesus was a real man who lived and died by crucifixion. Interestingly, he debunks the relatively new argument in the universities that a non-biblical book called the gospel of Thomas was written at the same time or prior to the biblical accounts by using textual analysis. Can this kind of original source confirmation be found in Islam, Hindusim, Jainism, Buddhism? If we are going to find out truth or facts, surely we must look at religion's origins and see what exists to prove or disprove the claims of that religion?

sealchan

For me, my beliefs are constantly being edified by what I am learning. What I love to do and learn is intimately tied to my beliefs. This seems to me to be an ideal relationship between truth and practice.

Ponder This

You lost me on this one.

the Munchhausen Trilemma presents three options for justification of knowledge:
1. Circular Justification
2. Infinite Regression of Justifications
3. Axiomatic Justifications

But Sextus Empiricus presents two more:
4. Dissent about Justifications
5. Relational-Subjective Justifications
Diogenes Laertius attributes all five to Agrippa the Skeptic (1st century Greek philosopher and Pyrrhonist). Pyrrho of Elis (c.360-270 BC) is the first Greek skeptic philosopher ever (according to the interweb).

Workman

UNIQUE

I love this subject!..what is the truth? But what does word truth actually mean itself? Truth means for the 1 can only be one, but for the millions it’s impossible to have all A’s 1.

Truth is,
A man has two sides of himself,
1: The inner self is where holds your deep emotions where your families, beliefs, morals, happy needs anything that is most treasured, it is the most absolute purest..that would be your TRUE side..which can only be 1 truth

2: second will be your outer side, where if I met you, I’m meeting your outer side, only you determine which u should give me, your true side or another; which if you don’t give me true(1) then you switch to (2)which draws in a billion(not truth) but cannot be 1...

If you living life as (2) then you are not living life as you are lying to yourself, But if u live from your inner self as (1), Then you see what life is all about.

Truth or not
Or 2
You choose

Workman

UNIQUE
I love this subject!..what is the truth? But what does word truth actually mean itself? Truth means for the 1 can only be one, but for the millions it’s impossible to have all A’s 1.

Truth is,
A man has two sides of himself,
1: The inner self is where holds your deep emotions where your families, beliefs, morals, happy needs anything that is most treasured, it is the most absolute purest..that would be your TRUE side..which can only be 1 truth

2: second will be your outer side, where if I met you, I’m meeting your outer side, only you determine which u should give me, your true side or another; which if you don’t give me true(1) then you switch to (2)which draws in a billion(not truth) but cannot be 1...

If you living life as (2) then you are not living life as you are lying to yourself, But if u live from your inner self as (1), Then you see what life is all about.

Truth or not
Or 2
You choose
True can only be 1
But Truth can be a billion or more

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure about 'truth' but I'm good at avoiding 'truthiness'. Does that count?

So many bizarre counter arguments. How do you know what you accept as truth is true is probably a more direct way of asking the OPs question. Why do you think Aliens are real or the world is flat? Why is your god definitely the real god and not some other persons version of god? Can you travel to astral plane and prove it to someone else? Can you show us some ghosts?

Maybe mormons got it locked down but they are so few in number so maybe its the muslims... Lots more people there. But maybe if its popular it cant be true so lets go with satanists or christian scientists... You are all people and you all have your own beliefs. How does what you believe as true make it true for everyone else?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I'm not sure the "truth" of religious teachings can be researched at all. It's not something that can be scientifically proven. I don't really know how "true" my "truth" is. But I do know that it is logically satisfying and meaningful to me. I don't necessarily care what anybody else thinks of my beliefs, other than that they at least get their facts straight as to what I actually do believe. Most of the time, they don't even seem to be able to do that.

Also, I think one's "truth" ought to make him a better person than he would be without it. Any teaching that brings out the worst in someone isn't worth believing even if it's "true."

I'm not sure the "truth" of religious teachings can be researched at all. It's not something that can be scientifically proven. I don't really know how "true" my "truth" is. But I do know that it is logically satisfying and meaningful to me. I don't necessarily care what anybody else thinks of my beliefs, other than that they at least get their facts straight as to what I actually do believe. Most of the time, they don't even seem to be able to do that.

Also, I think one's "truth" ought to make him a better person than he would be without it. Any teaching that brings out the worst in someone isn't worth believing even if it's "true."

Interesting response. I probably have a few of those beliefs kicking around in my brain somewhere. I smoked for years. Cigarettes.. like a pack or so a day. Because of our modern age I found one clip of me explaining to my father in law why I smoke at a christmas party at our house. (Possibly our first) I watched that clip like 10 times to convince myself that I was capable of that level of rationalization. I'm not saying that is what you are doing.

Sometimes things just feel right so you run with it. As far as truth making people better people? Sometimes people are better for knowing something while others grow into monsters. There is no religion free of these monsters that I am aware of.

I'm not saying religion is at fault. I am a big fan of hitch but I'm not an atheist. Agnostic at best. He's dead now but did you ever see his speech at google?