• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to tell you are successful magician

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I generally go with the assumption that every grownup individual is trying to sell something. :shrug:

People are interesting to watch. Though as a consumer I am buying product- not a sales pitch.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
And what standards have you set for yourself?

Why are my goals your business? Knowing I set my standards may be necessary information in this discussion, but assuming I can even truly verbalize those standards, why need I share them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Another quick thought for now; I think a good way to tell you are a successful magician is when the magic of others can be easily recognized and, if the magic is against you, being able to resist it without the other magician even realizing they've been called out.
I think thats a great measurement of magickal success.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
It's basic LBM awareness and interaction skills. We are surrounded daily by the LBM techniques of others. Who does it benefit when you walk around unaware?

Last edited:

apophenia

How to tell if you are a successful magician ?

You don't think the world sucks.

Being misunderstood is no biggie.

Kids and wild animals like being around you.

Being alone with nothing to do is delightful.

Vengeance and control are laughable memories from a long time ago, which would embarrass you except, fortunately, you are a successful magician.

atanu

Premium Member

Vengeance and control are laughable memories from a long time ago, which would embarrass you except, fortunately, you are a successful magician.

I see that you enumerated nothing related to actually doing some magic.

apophenia

I see that you enumerated nothing related to actually doing some magic.

You think ?

Lojong is magic. And Tong Len.
Tong Len is without doubt the highest form of what I would call magic.
With or without k. ;)

Turning lead into gold, psychologically speaking.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Unless your goal is the... opposition of what you said there.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You think ?

Lojong is magic. And Tong Len.
Tong Len is without doubt the highest form of what I would call magic.
With or without k. ;)

Turning lead into gold, psychologically speaking.

The only time where I can see that to be a valued goal is when you trick society into believing so - just how they did convince everyone a green piece of paper was worth something.

Reactions: NIX

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

I don't really see where vengeance and control have entered in here.
Sometimes it just happens that you are directly confronted by a person who is trying to pull stuff over on you. Trying to work you- manipulate you emotionally or whatnont for whatever reason/benefit of their own. Like a salesperson. When you smoothly detect the lines of BS and counter the situation with finesse you have protected your own interests and at the same time walk away unschathed and generally respected and well liked to boot.

Maybe there is more than one conversation taking place here in this thread.
This is how I understood the OP anyway.

apophenia

I don't really see where vengeance and control have entered in here.
Sometimes it just happens that you are directly confronted by a person who is trying to pull stuff over on you. Trying to work you- manipulate you emotionally or whatnont for whatever reason/benefit of their own. Like a salesperson. When you smoothly detect the lines of BS and counter the situation with finesse you have protected your own interests and at the same time walk away unschathed and generally respected and well liked to boot.

Maybe there is more than one conversation taking place here in this thread.
This is how I understood the OP anyway.

I was expressing what I think are the best outcomes magic (intention - acts of will) .

Most of my list focuses on the positive kinds of outcomes, and the transformation of negative and ultimately self-defeating tendencies.

I have known people who considered that magic and the LHP were entirely about personal power, and who took a certain pleasure in defeating 'opponents'. I'm not stereotyping LHPers in general here - I actually encountered people like that, some of whom were determined to do me serious harm because they thought I was way too 'nice'.

So I gave a variety of outcomes of what I consider successful magic,most of which are very positive and upbeat, but including defeating the ultimate 'opponent' - the self-cherishing narcissistic Machiavellian (for want of a better word) power-seeking aspect of the human psyche.

Yeah, I know that we all have to deal with manipulators and bullies, and there's not much value in being wimpy about it. But I agree with Nietzsche when he said that a good outcome for a human is sublimating the will-to-power into creativity. That was his take on 'successful magic'.

Does that answer your query. ?