• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to force gun control in US

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I don't want to get involved in another gun issue, so I'm not going to, but let me just say that I hope these kids are successful in changing the horrific killing-field that is now the U.S. My heart and tears are with them.

How?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The simple answer is to get the guns out of people that aren't committed to the safety of the public.

The difficulty is to convince the gun advocates on how.

Even with data and statistics especially with other nations that have successfully dealt with gun violence, many will either:

1) Offer nothing more than opinions, speculations and doubt.

2) Refer back to the second amendment and again offer opinions, speculations, and doubt.

Then, of course, nothing will be done because all the opinions, speculations and doubt becomes a circular tactic to prevent any real plausible fix to occur.

The fix is in front of every American, because other nations have dealt with it successfully. We are the prime example as a developed nation on what not do concerning guns.

Like what?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That is the question isn't it. Is it a rifle with large capacity magazines or is it any semi automatic rifle? Is it a pump shotgun? A bolt action rifle or a musket? All have been used as an assault weapon in the past. I am not for the public owning fully automatic weapons (which is already illegal), but I would hate to see the term assault rifle applied so loosely that it becomes in effect ,a gun ban. Not to mention that super strict gun laws have been a complete failure in this country, for example 'Chicago' for one. The knee jerk reaction is to attack the weapon while ignoring the person behind it. A gun or knife or vehicle did not kill anyone. A disturbed or evil person in possession of said instrument did. This IMO is not a weapon problem, but a people problem.

Assault rifles, by definition, have to have the ability to switch from semi to fully automatic.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Or what's worked in the past: arm minorities. School shootings won't cut it; get a whole bunch of Black Lives Matter members openly carrying AR-15s (abiding by all the relevant rules and laws, of course) and "assault rifles" will be banned by the end of the year. Even the NRA will be okay with it.

Nobody will say that they're trying to disarm BLM, of course. Their change of heart on the school shooting issue will just happen to coincide with BLM arming itself.
5,000 blacks marching with AR-15's might do the trick but I doubt it.

If 500 Islamic terrorists shot 5,000 people with AR-15's it would not be enough to change the NRA. The only answer is to build a political force stronger than they are.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Assault rifles, by definition, have to have the ability to switch from semi to fully automatic.
I find semantic arguments about the definition unprofitable. There are weapons I want to ban no matter what they're called and those are weapons that can easily be used to murder large groups of people.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I find semantic arguments about the definition unprofitable. There are weapons I want to ban no matter what they're called and those are weapons that can easily be used to murder large groups of people.

Well there it is then. You want to inflict your will over others.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I feel that the Obama administration should not have made "bump stocks" legal in the first place. Accessories to retrofit semi-automatics into full automatic have been illegal for years. I'm in.
So am I. I was always curious as to why it wasn't done sooner.

suncowiam

Like what?

Here's the issue, many of what other nations have done would be considered unconstitutional, but keep in mind that this is not a prohibition. It is simply very strict gun control.

Are you willing to consider such ideas that did in fact worked for other countries but would require us to revise the second amendment?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I do want to ban something. What's wrong with that? Why wouldn't it help?

Then you would want the next weapon used in a multi-victim shooting incident, or stabbing incident, or vehicular incident, etc. As emotional as this subject is, the weapon is not the problem.

suncowiam

Not helping your case. It seems you simply want to ban something (which won't help in the long run).

Statistics disagree with you. UK and Australia has decreased in homicides and gun violence after their near ban on guns.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Here's the issue, many of what other nations have done would be considered unconstitutional, but keep in mind that this is not a prohibition. It is simply very strict gun control.

Are you willing to consider such ideas that did in fact worked for other countries but would require us to revise the second amendment?

Hell, no.

suncowiam

Hell, no.

That's the point. The second amendment is the root of our issues because it prevents us from implementing what has worked for other countries.

Mind you that these other countries have not had recent history of a forceful government. They're doing things right on both fronts while we continue to do the wrong things as gun violence stays the same or increases.

suncowiam

Don't care.

I appreciate that you were quick and especially honest.

I didn't have to go through hoops and bounds to get you to admit that statistics and data didn't matter to you. You didn't try to subvert or obfuscate the data either.

You've been the most honest conversation I've had with a gun advocate outside of @Revoltingest.

Honestly, I do appreciate the immediate honest response.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I appreciate that you were quick and especially honest.

I didn't have to go through hoops and bounds to get you to admit that statistics and data didn't matter to you. You didn't try to subvert or obfuscate the data either.

You've been the most honest conversation I've had with a gun advocate outside of @Revoltingest.

Honestly, I do appreciate the immediate honest response.
I assume that everyone is honest, but some are just less organized in their
thoughts than others. Sometimes what might seem like dishonesty is really
just the intellectual equivalent of trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.
(I have caught a couple posters lying, but not in these gun control threads.)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am heartened by the Florida school children going to Washington demanding stricter gun controls. If people in US are serious about making gun laws stringent so that school shootings never happen again, they should support this initiative. I would propose that parents don't send their children to school until appropriate laws are passed in the states and the federal level. Let's shut down schools as clearly they are too unsafe for your children. Their lives matter more than a few lost months of education.

That should get the lawmakers attention.
You could always move to a country to satisfy your political views. ;0)

Nobody's going to force gun control any more than prohibition was going to force people to stop drinking.