• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to force gun control in US

siti

Then, perhaps you are I'll informed.

I get the sense that I have in some way or another made you contentious.

You explained in what seemed to be genuine disbelief of why anyone would think of attempts toward regulating guns as an attack on their freedom. I tried explaining. I thought using hyperbole and giving fair warning that it only served to illustrate the point would help you understand. Apparently, it has not.

I can only wonder, do you want to understand?
I am not "I'll informed" about the second amendment - it was about freedom from oppressive government not self-defense - but lets not allow facts to get in the way...and I do want to understand - your arguments are simply not helping.

@Orbit posted the link below that seems to make sensible suggestions - and lo and behold - the writer actually uses the same analogy with driver licensing that I did. I think a fair bit of this makes sense and I fail to see why at least some of the key parts could not work or how they would necessarily violate the second amendment either in word or spirit.

The question is more about whether such measures would be effective in curbing the kind of gun violence that was seen in Florida last week. Would someone like Cruz have either made it through the process and still been able to obtain a weapon legally or otherwise been fairly easily able to circumvent the process and get one illegally anyway? I don't know the answer but that's really the question and talking about second amendment rights, criminals, home invasions and self-defense is nothing much to do with it as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am not "I'll informed" about the second amendment - it was about freedom from oppressive government not self-defense - but lets not allow facts to get in the way...and I do want to understand - your arguments are simply not helping.
Great you have read the Miller and Heller opinions? You have read the materials referenced in those opinions? Arguing about what the amendment means is fine. But do not pretend that you have the true view on the subject. There are actually several reasonable views on the subject.

@Orbit posted the link below that seems to make sensible suggestions - and lo and behold - the writer actually uses the same analogy with driver licensing that I did. I think a fair bit of this makes sense and I fail to see why at least some of the key parts could not work or how they would necessarily violate the second amendment either in word or spirit.
What parts would you like to know about? The biggest hurdle to any gun regulation is that gun control is generally a state concern. Guns have been regulated through tax clause the commerce clause of the constitution.

The question is more about whether such measures would be effective in curbing the kind of gun violence that was seen in Florida last week. Would someone like Cruz have either made it through the process and still been able to obtain a weapon legally or otherwise been fairly easily able to circumvent the process and get one illegally anyway?
It is certainly possible to get a gun illegally. Easy is a matter of opinion. I imagine anyone determined enough would be able to acquire an illegal weapon. I am not sure whether or not this man had a criminal record as a juvenile and what Florida Law is concerning sealed juvenile records. I do not know if his mental health history would have flagged him under the suggested "blue print" either. Asking for medical information to be stored in a database like that is problematic. It runs into privacy right issues and discourages treatment for mental illness. There are other issues as well. It is problematic to create national laws that govern gun ownership.
I don't know the answer but that's really the question and talking about second amendment rights, criminals, home invasions and self-defense is nothing much to do with it as far as I can see.
And that is fair enough. You do not discuss why the second amendment shouldn't be infringed you just want to know how it is infringed.

siti

But do not pretend that you have the true view on the subject.
My apologies - I forgot that this was your exclusive prerogative.

Anyway, in terms of the second amendment, I was not talking about legal opinion - I was talking about historical perspective. If we are talking about opinion, then an argument could be made either way - but the argument you are making - in favour of self-defense in the context of the current circumstances of the US - would not have been a cogent argument when the second amendment was drafted. If you are arguing the spirit of the second amendment, then it was not about self-defense in the context of this discussion.

In any case, state/federal law-making politics and so on aside, what, in principle, about requiring a licensing system for gun ownership (if it were possible to enact such a requirement somehow) violates the second amendment?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am heartened by the Florida school children going to Washington demanding stricter gun controls. If people in US are serious about making gun laws stringent so that school shootings never happen again, they should support this initiative. I would propose that parents don't send their children to school until appropriate laws are passed in the states and the federal level. Let's shut down schools as clearly they are too unsafe for your children. Their lives matter more than a few lost months of education.

That should get the lawmakers attention.
We are moving towards school boycott folks. :clapping:
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/national-school-walkout-gun-violence-protests/index.html

esmith

Veteran Member
school, especially high school, kids have a tendency to "follow the crowd" instead of going against the idea of the few. Also the attitude of a day off from school....why not, who cares.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
school, especially high school, kids have a tendency to "follow the crowd" instead of going against the idea of the few. Also the attitude of a day off from school....why not, who cares.
Strict gun control will happen. These kids will do it. Just you wait.