• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How sure are you?

King Phenomenon

Since there’s one truth to questions like how’d we get here and where are we going, that means many of us are wrong unfortunately. So how sure are you? 50%, 75, 99? I’d say I’m 100%. So I guess that would mean that I know rather than believe. I don’t fear knowing. Life’s too short not to.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
How we got here: Don't know, don't care.

Where we're going: We'll find out when we get there.

I'm certain of both of these things, so I guess I know, too!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Since there’s one truth to questions like how’d we get here and where are we going, that means many of us are wrong unfortunately. So how sure are you? 50%, 75, 99? I’d say I’m 100%. So I guess that would mean that I know rather than believe. I don’t fear knowing. Life’s too short not to.
I'm still waiting to be convinced about how we got here, but I do know that we did get here! :)
It won't be that long before I'm not here, so I'll enjoy today.......
So whilst I'm not sure about much, I'm just ducking and diving and body-swerving my way through life and time.
And that's ok for me. :)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

So how sure am I? Well, since I am a strong skeptic, 0%.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Wait a cotton-picking minute. There one truth to questions like 'where are we going'?
You realise there are plenty of folk who wouldn't agree with you on that, right?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I watched a documentary recently on "Chariots of the Gods", so currently I wonder whether space-aliens are involved. :p

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do not know, I believe:)
To me there is no reason to put a % on it because it is different in each aspects of my belief.
Only Allah know what will happen to me when I leaving this physical life.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Since there’s one truth to questions like how’d we get here and where are we going...

I disagree, the questions are way too vague to have specific answers. Certainty is generally irrational anyway. As Richard Feynman said:

"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything. There are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask "Why are we here?" I might think about it a little bit, and if I can't figure it out then I go on to something else. But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose - which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell."​

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

How we got here?, abiogenesis is the best explanation given the facts, so i guess around 98.564% ;) sure. But new evidence may alter that.

Where are we going?, far more difficult, on what timescale? We are all heading to death. Even longer term, billions of years in the future the universe won't be able to support life. Further still, the universe itself will face heat death

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How we got here?, abiogenesis is the best explanation given the facts, so i guess around 98.564% ;) sure. But new evidence may alter that.

Where are we going?, far more difficult, on what timescale? We are all heading to death. Even longer term, billions of years in the future the universe won't be able to support life. Further still, the universe itself will face heat death

I am not sure of that, but I will my life as if it is true/a fact.

PureX

Veteran Member
But lying to yourself about it, and believing the lie doesn't change the fact that you don't know, and that your surety is a pretense.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Meh... I don't have much use for certainty. It's a trick, honestly, that causes us to attach ourselves to concepts that are based on incomplete information. So I guess my certainty exists within the capacity that something new that I learn may wrench me from what I had thought I'd known before.

That's not to say that I don't have a general understanding of what's happening, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I know more than I actually do - that's how delusion sets in, from my experience. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't know. I don't believe there is one truth to these questions. The only thing I'm absolutely certain about is before birth and death. You would literally have to believe (not know) in some spiritual concept to conclude we had some consciousness, lived before or have some sort of afterlife, and so forth. Nothing wrong with believing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It depends. If they were raised traditionally, they ask the mommy birds daddy for her hand in marriage.
If they're less traditional they book a weekend getaway to the islands.

Either way, baby birds follow soon after.
Birds got hands? You sure I can trust you on this biology stuff?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I disagree, the questions are way too vague to have specific answers. Certainty is generally irrational anyway. As Richard Feynman said:

"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything. There are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask "Why are we here?" I might think about it a little bit, and if I can't figure it out then I go on to something else. But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose - which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell."​
^^^^
This. (I think)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Interesting, that you know, and that you are sure for 100%

Then you are the person I can ask this one question: can you tell me the answer to the question "Who Am I"?