• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should you choose your religion?

islam abduallah

after about one year and half here i met wonderful ppl with different beliefs, i just want to ask how everybody should choose his religion?

should s/he choose what fits him ideas or to follow a religion with evidences and proofs even if s/he is convinced it's not a right one, but the right one doesn't fit her/him?

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Well I chose what made most sense to me. Judaism seems to ethnocentric, christian teachings are contradictory and make no sense, while Islam to me makes the most sense.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
after about one year and half here i met wonderful ppl with different beliefs, i just want to ask how everybody should choose his religion?

should s/he choose what fits him ideas or to follow a religion with evidences and proofs even if s/he is convinced it's not a right one, but the right one doesn't fit her/him?

Most people around the world are in the religions they are in because they were born into them and indoctrinated from birth.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Like how you choose your clothing; if it looks nice, try it out, if it fits wear it. Some people try to wash it, but with religion that doesn't work out quite well and its best to just find another one if it starts to fit less.

Aisling

All religion is right... it is the people that make it wrong by saying other's religion is not true and try to force down their belief to others.

I have not seen any true religious person react in a negative way towards another person that is of not their religion. True religious people have respect towards others, they can talk about the differences of their religions but in a respectful manner and never aim to put down the other.

So how I chose my belief? Through logic. I found that the concept of Karma explains everything that is 'unjust' in the world.

Don't get too uptight about which belief you wish to uphold. Ultimately, if you're a good practitioner, no matter what religion you decide to hold on to, will make you the best of person in the world and you will see at the end of our lives how you never have any regrets because you've lived a life that benefited others, not harming others.

islam abduallah

Like how you choose your clothing; if it looks nice, try it out, if it fits wear it. Some people try to wash it, but with religion that doesn't work out quite well and its best to just find another one if it starts to fit less.

this will lead to another question, what if the god himself "not an angel, messenger or the Antichrist) comes and say to the people who choose a religion that fits them that religion that fits you isn't what i will, my religion is another one and he nominates a certain religion who they strongly dislike and they are completely against it's rules, and to follow this religion they have to struggle a lot to fit themselves and to convince themselves by it's rules, so what do you think they should do at this moment: to ignore the god's coming to them or to struggle to fit themselves for the religion of god?

islam abduallah

All religion is right... it is the people that make it wrong by saying other's religion is not true and try to force down their belief to others.

I have not seen any true religious person react in a negative way towards another person that is of not their religion. True religious people have respect towards others, they can talk about the differences of their religions but in a respectful manner and never aim to put down the other.

So how I chose my belief? Through logic. I found that the concept of Karma explains everything that is 'unjust' in the world.

Don't get too uptight about which belief you wish to uphold. Ultimately, if you're a good practitioner, no matter what religion you decide to hold on to, will make you the best of person in the world and you will see at the end of our lives how you never have any regrets because you've lived a life that benefited others, not harming others.

i think your choice based on logical reasons contradicts with what you said that all religions are true, as if all are true so all are logical isn't it?

correct me if i got you wrongly

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Jesus said that the worship of God would not be easy....
Matthew 7:13 “Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it."

One of the things which makes the road to life difficult is the fact that it requires sacrifice as Jesus said:
Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and continually follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it
"

So upon finding that road to life, it may not be what you expect or what you wanted, it may not be easy but its well worth the effort.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I follow what makes sense to me -- both my heart and head -- and fits in with my experiences. Or as much as possible.

Which is why my beliefs are wacky, fluid, and liable to change.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
For me I knew I was on the 'right' track when I kept coming back time and time again to Qur'an and to Islam. There were times when I didn't want to admit it, times when the idea of callling myself a Muslim was almost unbearable, and other times when it was easy. And here I am.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Most people don't get to choose their religion because they are born into them,i think it would be impossible to choose a religion on proofs,as for evidence it would depend what you accept as such.

I don't think there is such a thing as a right religion,although the proselytising religions would have us believe otherwise,i think if i were thinking of choosing a religion i would study it with a critical eye,if it passes this stage and it resonates with me then maybe it would be a path i would choose,none have for me but everyone is different.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

How a person should choose a religion is through deep sincerity. The challenge is to truly know what your heart tells you, not what you "think" is right. To ask which has the best evidence is not listening to your heart, but trying to reason God with your head. If you make the whole thing some external evaluation, you can spin your head every which way. So-called evidence this religion's scriptures is right and the others are wrong is a fools game. It's chasing after something that isn't truly a religion of the heart. Because through that game, it is a distraction, a substitute to seeking where you should look. And that is within.

That's how my path has come to unfold. And then the follow up to that, what change is it bringing about in your life for who you are? Does it bear fruit? Or is it simply just putting on another's clothes, becoming them through conformity, or is it transforming you in the world where you shine like a light?

That's how someone should choose, IMHO.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My religion (or "non-religion") chose me.
I had no say in the matter, since I cannot choose otherwise.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I follow what makes sense to me -- both my heart and head -- and fits in with my experiences. Or as much as possible.

Which is why my beliefs are wacky, fluid, and liable to change.

Word!

Beliefs evolve for some of us, especially when we are "seekers". Or we think we know the tenets of a religion but find out that we really don't, and/or some of them don't "speak" to us.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the path we choose needs to be a combinations of things, including that it makes logical sense, that it helps you to be the best possible version of yourself, and very importantly, that it seeks to give you knowledge of truth rather than demand blind faith. That's why I love Hinduism. It provides the methods of realising what truth is instead of forever living with belief. Belief is not the same as knowledge.

chinu

chinu

IMO.. There's only one method by which one can choose TRUE religion which lead towards one true God, otherwise.. read as many books, or search as many history, or do as many meditation, or do as many debates, or worship as many temples, or do as many tricks, all is just a wastage of time/life.

What is the method ?
One should pray God to introduce any true person who can teach the method which lead towards God.

By which method God introduce that person ?
God introduce that person through dream.

Kindly Note 1: Godly persons always exist on this earth, they never die, they just change their body.
Kindly Note 2: One should not find/search such person through own intelligence, only the above written method is applicable.
Kindly Note 3: Prayer will not work for you if you have any other desire insted of getting one with God.
Kindly Note 4: Not having any other desire means that you are looking for Salvation/Liberation/Moksha etc.. VERY SERIOUSLY.
Kindly Note 5: If you think that God doesn't exist, and doesn't have the abilty to introduce through dreams, and you are not intrested in getting salvation/liberation/moksha etc..VERY SERIOUSLY than there's no need to ask any question FURTHER. :)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
this will lead to another question, what if the god himself "not an angel, messenger or the Antichrist) comes and say to the people who choose a religion that fits them that religion that fits you isn't what i will, my religion is another one and he nominates a certain religion who they strongly dislike and they are completely against it's rules, and to follow this religion they have to struggle a lot to fit themselves and to convince themselves by it's rules, so what do you think they should do at this moment: to ignore the god's coming to them or to struggle to fit themselves for the religion of god?

Find a new god.

islam abduallah

sometimes it goes without any rules or even logic.

i know three persons who were really pulled to certain believe without any planned or a meaning will from them, they just pulled to it via dreaming then while swaping between TV channel listens to somebody who talks about this belief and in the morning met a guy who gift him/her a book about this religion

all of that happened in one day, i saw three persons in that case. it's not justified except that the mighty is pulling them to that belief, right?