• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should you choose your religion?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
after about one year and half here i met wonderful ppl with different beliefs, i just want to ask how everybody should choose his religion?

should s/he choose what fits him ideas or to follow a religion with evidences and proofs even if s/he is convinced it's not a right one, but the right one doesn't fit her/him?

One should use logic and evidence to determine sensible belief.

Murkve

Student of Change
About 7 months ago, I was stricken with Alopecia Universalis, which basically means that I was losing all the hair on my body. At first I was concerned over losing my eyebrows, eyelashes, and chest hair, but I eventually saw that there was no point in staying attached to something that I would inevitably lose.

It took me 3 months to make this connection over to Buddhism, and once I understood this nature of impermanence in all things, I found a peace and confidence with the world around me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a person should embrace beliefs instead of religions.

Ultimately, what are religions but pre-packed combos? Choose what yu believe in in general according to what makes sense to you after as much thiut as you need to do so.

Good point. :clap

Alceste

Vagabond
I so hate it when we are in agreement, Alceste. Just kidding. That said, I just choose to try and make people smile. If I can brighten their day and make them laugh, I help to make them more positive, if for but a few moments. I no longer care about "truth". I am into healthy and happy though. As far as I can see, that is all that really matters. From my perspective, "religious" people are folks who don't take their inherent spirituality seriously. If they did, they would understand that religion doesn't promote inner evolution as it may have been intended to.

I think we probably agree on quite a lot when it's not about politics. I like it!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Years ago I spent a lot of time meditating in nature and developed a strong impression of how the universe is and what it means to be alive. That resolved any questions I had about religious truth. Actually, I only had one question: if any single religion is correct, why are there so many religions, and how is it that many adherents of all of them seem to experience affirmative evidence that they have chosen correctly?

Shortly after that experience I picked up a copy of the tao te ching for the first time and thought "phew, I'm glad someone else 'gets it'"
Yes, the further we go inward the more apparent these things become. The questions of 'which is right' lose relevance. You're no longer asking that question with the same set of eyes. I have to say as I read the thoughts of other mystics it's the same response, no matter what their tradition is. I've been really fond of a quote from Meister Eckhart lately that say it all. "Theologians may quarrel, but the mystics of the world speak the same language."

To the question of what I would do if a being claiming to be the one and only God commanded me to follow a religion I believe to be immoral and destructive (the only kinds of rules I would struggle to follow):

That never happens, so it isn't a hypothetical anybody needs to seriously contemplate. Especially not if they are still shopping around for a method or philosophy that suits their nature. We don't need to worry about getting it wrong. We are going to be wrong no matter what, so wet might as well set different spiritual goals, like being happy and healthy.
As far as God guiding someone into a path, through a dream or whatever, I see that a way for what is within us to surface to the conscious mind through whatever vehicle that will speak to us. It's a way for the conscious mind to allow the subconscious to speak. So in a sense, it is God, in that the higher mind within us is trying to move us higher. Would it ever tell you to go kill someone or join some destructive murderous cult? No, unless you had some sort of mental illness, in which case the signals are messed up and what you hear is distorted through that. In short, they need to find help, not join the cult because they interpret that as "God". The higher mind is always towards wholeness and a healthy life.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
after about one year and half here i met wonderful ppl with different beliefs, i just want to ask how everybody should choose his religion?

should s/he choose what fits him ideas or to follow a religion with evidences and proofs even if s/he is convinced it's not a right one, but the right one doesn't fit her/him?
Go with what speaks to your heart, with what helps you grow spiritually, with what you find to be the truth, and with what you feel a divine calling towards. This is the most important thing. Everything else is secondary.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For those people not born into a religion, your environment, your friends, your parents, your seed karmas (nature) and more give you beliefs. Then its a matter of doing a bit of research to find out what religion most closely matches those already existing beliefs. You will mentally say things like, "That's just silly," or "Wow, that's exactly what I already think".

At least this is what happened to me. I already had most of the beliefs of my faith before I knew what it was called.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I let Jesus choose for me but since that implies a belief in Christianity it doesn't appear to be a workable solution for someone viewing all religions equally.

I believe the best measure of a religion is efficacy which is a fancy word to say it works.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well I chose what made most sense to me. Judaism seems to ethnocentric, christian teachings are contradictory and make no sense, while Islam to me makes the most sense.

I believe atheists make a claim to be the most logical. My belief is that logic may help one understand a religion but it is not a good measure for choosing one and even more so becasue I believe many people reason fallaciously.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Go with what speaks to your heart, with what helps you grow spiritually, with what you find to be the truth, and with what you feel a divine calling towards. This is the most important thing. Everything else is secondary.

The Bible says that the heart is desperatley wicked.

There is spiritual light and spiritual darkness.

How will you know? Jesus said "I am ... the truth"

I believe feelings are not dependable. A divine calling either exists or it doesn't.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I let Jesus choose for me
But what makes you chose to let Jesus choose in your case, is really the question I gather from the OP.

a belief in Christianity it doesn't appear to be a workable solution for someone viewing all religions equally.

I believe the best measure of a religion is efficacy which is a fancy word to say it works.
But if the best measure is to say what works, its efficacy for the individual, then if you see the same fruit in people in other religions how are they not equal in this regard then?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible says that the heart is desperatley wicked.
But you believe in Jesus with your heart, don't you? Why say the heart means only one thing, that to trust that love is the same meaning of the heart, as giving into selfish desires, or something filled with rage? Yes, the heart is both, isn't it? If it's only wicked, that do you say your wicked heart loves Christ? That's flatly contradictory.

There is spiritual light and spiritual darkness.
Spiritual darkness is our own masking of light. And how do you tell the difference in yourself, except by the manifestation of fruit, right? A good tree does not bring forth evil fruit. Isn't the entire thing about nurturing a good heart within us? Teaching us the better way to "let your light so shine"?

How will you know? Jesus said "I am ... the truth"
But what does that mean? How will you know what that means? Because someone read something he said, puts their understanding into the meaning of it, and then tells you this is the truth? How do you discern, except with the heart? How do you discern with the heart if you do not know how to hear it and listen to it?

"By their fruits you shall know them", those who are true in heart, not by their beliefs or doctrines.

I believe feelings are not dependable. A divine calling either exists or it doesn't.
This means you don't trust that "still small voice" which is within you. You try instead to find it outside yourself.

InvestigateTruth

I don't think it is that simple. I just quote from Baha'i Scriptures, because there are streight answers in Baha'i Scriptures regarding your questions:

"O my brother, when a true seeker determineth to take the step of search in the path leading to the knowledge of the Ancient of Days, he must, before all else, cleanse and purify his heart, which is the seat of the revelation of the inner mysteries of God, from the obscuring dust of all acquired knowledge, and the allusions of the embodiments of satanic fancy. He must purge his breast, which is the sanctuary of the abiding love of the Beloved, of every defilement, and sanctify his soul from all that pertaineth to water and clay, from all shadowy and ephemeral attachments. He must so cleanse his heart that no remnant of either love or hate may linger therein, lest that love blindly incline him to error, or that hate repel him away from the truth. Even as thou dost witness in this day how most of the people, because of such love and hate, are bereft of the immortal Face, have strayed far from the Embodiments of the divine mysteries, and, shepherdless, are roaming through the wilderness of oblivion and error. That seeker must at all times put his trust in God, must renounce the peoples of the earth, detach himself from the world of dust, and cleave unto Him Who is the Lord of Lords. He must never seek to exalt himself above any one, must wash away from the tablet of his heart every trace of pride and vainglory, must cling unto patience and resignation, observe silence, and refrain from idle talk. For the tongue is a smouldering fire, and excess of speech a deadly poison. Material fire consumeth the body, whereas the fire of the tongue devoureth both heart and soul. The force of the former lasteth but for a time, whilst the effects of the latter endure a century.
That seeker should also regard backbiting as grievous error, and keep himself aloof from its dominion, inasmuch as backbiting quencheth the light of the heart, and extinguisheth the life of the soul. He should be content with little, and be freed from all inordinate desire. He should treasure the companionship of those that have renounced the world, and regard avoidance of boastful and worldly people a precious benefit. At the dawn of every day he should commune with God, and with all his soul persevere in the quest of his Beloved. He should consume every wayward thought with the flame of His loving mention, and, with the swiftness of lightning, pass by all else save Him. He should succour the dispossessed, and never withhold his favour from the destitute. He should show kindness to animals, how much more unto his fellow-man, to him who is endowed with the power of utterance. He should not hesitate to offer up his life for his Beloved, nor allow the censure of the people to turn him away from the Truth. He should not wish for others that which he doth not wish for himself, nor promise that which he doth not fulfil. With all his heart should the seeker avoid fellowship with evil doers, and pray for the remission of their sins. He should forgive the sinful, and never despise his low estate, for none knoweth what his own end shall be. How often hath a sinner, at the hour of death, attained to the essence of faith, and, quaffing the immortal draught, hath taken his flight unto the celestial Concourse. And how often hath a devout believer, at the hour of his soul’s ascension, been so changed as to fall into the nethermost fire. Our purpose in revealing these convincing and weighty utterances is to impress upon the seeker that he should regard all else beside God as transient, and count all things save Him, Who is the Object of all adoration, as utter nothingness."

- Baha'u'llah
The Spiritual Life

Straw Dog

Well, I began searching without the assumption that any religion in particular was true. I chose mostly based on what doesn't conflict with either empirical evidence or experience interpreted by rational or useful means. I made the basic observation that human beings are driven to seek happiness and avoid suffering. "Pleasure" and "pain" can and should be measured qualitatively on an individual basis towards the end of rational eudaemonia.

I refrain from assuming that my view is the only one warranted, however, or that I "speak on behalf of objective reality". I only infer that that there is an objective reality upon which we make impressions of with our minds and this process occurs probabilistically. My view is one rational means of interpreting reality imperfectly and it works for me.

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

When the choice is yours i think you should choose what best suites you.

For me it is "Knowledge", one must have a basic understanding of a path which they want to walk on, once on the road the learning should not stop, and if the knowledge leads you on a path contrary to the one chosen, take the new way.

Oh, and don't be afraid to let go of old ways.

That is my view on it.

"Even the Fierce-looking clouds come to us as a benefactor.."
"Rgv"

Avoice

I was born to a Christian mother that let me chose my own way. She lived Christianity. I decided to read the Bible when I was 15 or 16. I started in Genesis and read through Revelation. I decided that Jehovah and Jesus were for me. I've yet to find an organization that follows the Bible better than I do, so I call myself an unchurched Christian.

I may not find a place to fellowship until the 2nd coming of Jesus of Nazareth the Messiah.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I was born to a Christian mother that let me chose my own way. She lived Christianity. I decided to read the Bible when I was 15 or 16. I started in Genesis and read through Revelation. I decided that Jehovah and Jesus were for me. I've yet to find an organization that follows the Bible better than I do, so I call myself an unchurched Christian.

I may not find a place to fellowship until the 2nd coming of Jesus of Nazareth the Messiah.
If I may ask, what standards do you use? What makes your way of following Christianity better than anyone else's? What are your beliefs and practices?

Muffled

Jesus in me
But what makes you chose to let Jesus choose in your case, is really the question I gather from the OP.

But if the best measure is to say what works, its efficacy for the individual, then if you see the same fruit in people in other religions how are they not equal in this regard then?

If one has a flashlight and another a spotlight, even though the reult is illumination they are still not equal. Also a row boat and a motorboat will get you to the other shore but the person in the row boat has to work harder to get there and the effort is not equal.

That is a question of whether one has faith in the person. For me the one willing to die for me has my best interests in mind.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If one has a flashlight and another a spotlight, even though the reult is illumination they are still not equal.
The tools may not be equal, but illumination is illumination. One cannot be more free than freedom itself.

Also a row boat and a motorboat will get you to the other shore but the person in the row boat has to work harder to get there and the effort is not equal.
The row boat may be the more appropriate tool, and the effort involved appropriate. To put a motor boat in a shallow stream might run you aground, or not allow to move slowly enough to see what you were meant to see and learn on the journey. Don't mistake ease of use with appropriateness. Sometimes harder work serves a purpose.

There are no shortcuts to heaven.

That is a question of whether one has faith in the person. For me the one willing to die for me has my best interests in mind.
Faith in another should be toward the end of finding Truth in yourself. To never learn to integrate it into yourself leaves you weak, needy, and dependent. Hardly a light in the world.