• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Long Before Science Creates Life?

How long before scientists create life on the order of complexity of a bacterium?

• Never

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Within Five Years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Within Ten Years

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Within Fifteen Years

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Within Twenty Years

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Within Twenty-five Years

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • More than Twenty-five years in the future

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • They already have.

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I have personally studied evolution in an academic context. Every time somebody says something like 'came about by chance/accident' they demonstrate they don't know anything about evolution.
The pro-evolution always admit that and said that.
I never agree with that, I just cut/paste what they saying.

Kirran

Premium Member

If they said that, they are under a deep misunderstanding. Anyone who says that shows they haven't really looked into what evolution is about.

I understand you're just going on what you think some people have said, but that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. To understand this subject you will need to actually study it, to go and read up on it, understand the basic processes involved and how more complex phenomena emerge from them, etc. I'm sorry, but there's no quick and easy way here.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
just got here....did anyone list the qualities attributed to living items?

i thought there were four

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, we do not.

Only someone who failed to grasp the basics of evolution would say such a thing.

Natural selection is by definition NOT random.

Without understanding the basics of it, unfortunately.

ScottySatan

I'd say we can make a bacterium from scratch in 10 years if we get the funding. This will cost billions and the money's not forthcoming right now.

"On the order of complexity of a bacterium", it's impossible to say, they are still the subject of study. We don't know everything about them yet.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So we have proven life can be created by intelligent design? That's interesting.

How about it accidentally creating itself- any luck there yet?
Correction. We have shown that super-physical processes are not necessary to create life. Certain chemicals with certain properties will create life through ordinary laws of physics and chemistry when suitable conditions occur. Now its a case of
1) Determining how these chemicals can arise under natural conditions
2) How the suitable conditions under which these chemicals create life through the laws of chemistry and physics arose in the ancient earth.

Excellent progress has been made in addressing both these questions.
Here is an example of the progress made in understanding how these chemicals were synthesized naturally on early earth.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/42472/title/On-the-Origins-of-Life/
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/rna-world-inches-closer-explaining-origins-life

Godobeyer

Premium Member
If they said that, they are under a deep misunderstanding. Anyone who says that shows they haven't really looked into what evolution is about.

I understand you're just going on what you think some people have said, but that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. To understand this subject you will need to actually study it, to go and read up on it, understand the basic processes involved and how more complex phenomena emerge from them, etc. I'm sorry, but there's no quick and easy way here.

"Random, by chance"
These two word use many times here, by evolutionists.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Correction. We have shown that super-physical processes are not necessary to create life. Certain chemicals with certain properties will create life through ordinary laws of physics and chemistry when suitable conditions occur. Now its a case of
1) Determining how these chemicals can arise under natural conditions
2) How the suitable conditions under which these chemicals create life through the laws of chemistry and physics arose in the ancient earth.

Excellent progress has been made in addressing both these questions.
Here is an example of the progress made in understanding how these chemicals were synthesized naturally on early earth.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/42472/title/On-the-Origins-of-Life/
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/05/rna-world-inches-closer-explaining-origins-life

Okay, so we haven't created life, we cannot actually observe, measure, life being created under any circumstances- with our without our help.

So anything beyond is still speculation. What we have established, is that life isn't the sort of thing that that spontaneously organizes itself out of any old bucket of ingredients- given enough time and space. It requires a composition that is extremely specific to determining that end result.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Actually you did, I find some of your old replies.
give me permission to post them ? :)
Sure. I well remember how often we pointed out - to no avail, apparently - that mutations are random, but natural selection and therefore evolution are not.

David1967

Premium Member
I thought this was interesting. So how long before she becomes self aware, and with the emotions that are being programmed into her, starts informing men that they are wrong? She already has the disapproving stare down that all us married guys are all too familiar with. :cool::D

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Sure. I well remember how often we pointed out - to no avail, apparently - that mutations are random, but natural selection and therefore evolution are not.
Ah,so you try to say,that mutations had nothing to do with evolution?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I don't go to be rude because I thought "I know more than others "
that's impolite people usually use that way of speech.
and it's proven argument of fail discuss to turn to personal.
I refuse to coddle your willful ignorance.