• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How in the world did Christians get Jesus from the Old Testament?

gnostic

The Lost One
Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are "gods"'? -John 10:34

Psalm 82:6 "I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.'

This also shows that Jesus is the author of the OT through his prophets.
Wow! :eek: What sort of mental contortions do you arrive at that conclusion?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You know, not only do I want a bible that consists of the Hebrew texts plus the NT, but add the Quran in there too. Sure, the book'll be huge, unless it's an ebook, and then it won't matter. :)

I find according to Revelation 22:18-19 we are Not to add (+) nor subtract (-) from the Scriptures.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 states that ALL Scripture is inspired by God. So, only the Bible 's words are God inspired.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are "gods"'? -John 10:34
Psalm 82:6 "I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.'
This also shows that Jesus is the author of the OT through his prophets.

True, I find Jesus at John 10:34 was referring to Psalms 82.
That was because the judges in the OT were to use God's judgement in judging between right and wrong.
I don't see that makes Jesus the author, but as 2 Timothy 3:16-17 places Jesus' God as the Author of Scripture.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don’t recall Jesus ever quoting anything from the Hebrew Scriptures.
I have on recall few of the NT authors, quoting certain verses from the OT, but not Jesus.
Can you give a few examples that Jesus did?

To start I can point out chapter four of Luke:
Please notice everywhere where Jesus prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written...." it was already recorded in the old Hebrew Scriptures. Even when Jesus says, " it is said...." it was already said in the OT such as comparing Luke 4:12 with Deuteronomy 6:16.
Also, please notice that Jesus referred to Isaiah 61:1-2 at Luke 4:17-21

Muffled

Jesus in me
It's a Jewish text that has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus.

So how did Christians extrapolate that somehow, the Old Testament had anything to do with Jesus?

I believe it is quite evident that Jesus fulfills prophecy. I don't believe it is a Jewish text but that it is a God inspired text.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Out of context prophecies and non-prophecies turned into prophecies mostly.

I believe a person would either have to be very dense not to recognize the fulfillment of prophecy or to be so fanatical that anything about Jesus has to be wrong. So the truth is that things are not out of context at all.

Muffled

Jesus in me
:) I'd be happy to explain in certain forums but not in this one. Look, you are antagonistic about Christianity in general and dismissive, and I think that is a mistake. I think you should, if you are a Buddhist, be thinking about the fact that its scriptures can be interpreted as compatible with Buddhism. It is compatible with Buddhist technique, compassion and the annihilationist interpretation of Christianity is compatible with Zen. Its also possible to make the case from Christian bibles that Christians ought to be Buddhists. In fact it would be quite simple (though not easy or cheap) to establish a Christian Buddhist temple, both fully Buddhist and fully Christian, no heaven-going. Someone could call it a new Buddhist school if names mattered and be remembered for thousands of years as the founder of a new Buddhist school, that is -- if they had the compassion to be interested in such a feat, to really care about people.

The short answer is that Jesus is a derived concept.

I believe because of the differences it would be considered a cult by Christians. Something of Christianity would have to go just as the Bah'ais relegate Christianity in their faith to a backwater belief.

I believe Jesus is a person and the Messiah is a concept.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I find according to Revelation 22:18-19 we are Not to add (+) nor subtract (-) from the Scriptures.
If that were the case, how do we get anything after Genesis? At any rate, it's essentially an ancient FBI copyright warning and was paid attention to about as well as people do now.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 states that ALL Scripture is inspired by God. So, only the Bible 's words are God inspired.
The Hebrew scriptures were altered to make the bible. Man altered God's Word. If we can claim the OT just wasn't cutting it, why not let post Christian books in? We've already established we don't care about changing and adding to the originals.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe because of the differences it would be considered a cult by Christians. Something of Christianity would have to go just as the Bah'ais relegate Christianity in their faith to a backwater belief.
Of course many modern Christians would consider anything to be a cult that did not meet with their approval. At first such a group as I propose would be immature and would have to cut its teeth on typical new group problems, dealing with the same old problems that other new church groups deal with. It would thereafter have a great advantage.

I believe Jesus is a person and the Messiah is a concept.
I believe that we Christians need a renewal, a strengthening of the reed back into stone and have to return to first principles. I believe repentance is resurrection from death to life but that this is not understood and embraced by many modern Christians. I continually hear Christians who are obsessed with heaven-going, thinking that they want to escape this world and live in eternity. I think its part of the reason why Christians today are mired in superstition. Also there is a severe resistance to knowing about Torah, and Christians today often disrespect anyone who decides to pursue circumcision. Its a terrible mistake. Reading the old texts, it seems that there ought to be some who keep Torah and are responsible for its exposition. Those who take on the Torah ought to be heard when they explain the scriptures, since it is their duty and their honor to keep them. Instead those who do this are ostracized. My proposal to create a Buddhist Christian tradition is genuine and it would require some individuals to take up Torah and to be responsible for its proper recitation. They would have to eat kosher, live according to Torah like the apostles. All of this is for the good, and modern Christians might at first think it a cult, but it would be open and would not be run like a cult.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Few things demonstrate abject intellectual bankruptcy so much as appeals to 2 Timothy. A few verses found in a letter claimed to be written in the early 60's (*) is used validate texts of questionable authorship composed years later (and not canonized until centuries later). It's embarrassingly stupid.

* but see Kirby ...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How do people determine what's inspired and what's not?

The '66' Bible books have corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages thus showing the internal harmony among the many Bible writers.
The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the '66' Bible books.

TrueBeliever37

I've seen some up to 800 fulfilled prophecies. It doesn't matter to us what someone wants to make up. We have better things to do with our time than chase nonsense.

We don't need to. When our future messiah shows up, everyone on Earth will realize their mistake and become Noahide on their own. We don't know HOW it will happen, but G-d told us that it would.

God did let you know in the O.T. that there would be a new covenant. He let you know that the Gentiles would be involved. So why should you be surprised at those things?

How can investigation of fulfilled prophecy from your scriptures be chasing nonsense?

According to the book of Daniel, it seems that the time frame for the coming of the Messiah has already passed. You may have just not realized who he was, because things were different than you expected.