• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does everybody like the new look?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Yeah, about the new look, Either some tools are missing, or I just can't seem to find them. Example Spoiler alert type stuff

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, about the new look, Either some tools are missing, or I just can't seem to find them. Example Spoiler alert type stuff

The spoiler tag can be generated using [ spoiler=*reason here* ] *post here* [/ spoiler ] (without spaces):

Test.

You can also use the struckthrough-eye icon in the post-editor toolbar to automatically generate the spoiler tag:

Test.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The spoiler tag can be generated using [ spoiler=*reason here* ] *post here* [/ spoiler ] (without spaces):

Test.

You can also use the struckthrough-eye icon in the post-editor toolbar to automatically generate the spoiler tag:

Test
Honestly, there is software out there that allows you to do things like spoiler, indent, numbering, and divide quotes in an intuitive fashion without the need to remember all these long handed ways to type out the commands.

Why update the forum to software that is so basic? I mean, isn't the idea of updates supposed to improve things?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, there is software out there that allows you to do things like spoiler, indent, numbering, and divide quotes in an intuitive fashion without the need to remember all these long handed ways to type out the commands.

Spoiler tags can be generated using a single button, as I explained in my post. I just gave both methods to do it (i.e., the code and the button).

Division of quotes also happens automatically when you place the cursor at the end of a line inside a quote and start a new line/paragraph.

As for indenting and numbering, the buttons for those will be back. See here:

Why update the forum to software that is so basic? I mean, isn't the idea of updates supposed to improve things?

This is only the first stage of the update. A lot of features don't come with the base software and need to be added through widgets or other methods. The owners are currently working on adding or reinstating requested features.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I appreciate the need to update, but in this case, they chose software that was NOT an update -- it does LESS than the previous software.
Yes, because the former software was so old that none of the plugins work, so we essentially have to start from scratch. I'm not sure how much you know about forum software but it's often like a pick 'n' mix; you first install the basic software (in our case the update) and then you have to add on the extra features - they don't come with the software or the update, even if the forum is the same. So every time you update you are essentially working with a partially blank slate, especially if, as in our case, the previous forum software was so old none of the plugins (additional features such as new threads widget) work with the new software. But you have to get the new software first.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Well, it was either the new update or closing down the forum because the old software was very outdated and unstable. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd rather have a new update with some minor issues (and annoyances) than have the entire forum shut down. And, FWIW, the update isn't finished yet.
The features they need to bring back are featured threads, the list of new threads, and the frubals they had before. The appearance is nicer though.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
It dosent negate the ads are still running in the background. Hiding them by blockers dosent do much, unless of course the hardware can handle it for those lucky enough to aquire high end machines.
Um, yes it does. I only get ads when I'm signed out.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't like that these are grouped together :frowning:
Yes I suppose they should be in sequence: prostate treatment -> funerals services -> engineering equipment (for digging graves). But so far I'm pretty healthy, apart from the dicky ticker and a few other minor ailments. (And, er, Lucia would come before prostate treatments, obvs.)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I hate the new look. Not only is it bland and harder to read, with smaller print and less contrast, but I especially hate it that there is nothing to indicate the religion of the person to whom I'm speaking. It deprives me of a lot of context for what they are posting. Please, do a course correction.
The contrast problem, which also bothered me, can be fixed as follows:-

- Go to your "account", by clicking your name in the bar at the top,
- Select Preferences
- Select Style
- Choose "Default"
- and finally, most importantly and not very obvious, look down at the bottom of your screen and you will see a button called "Save". Click that.

You will find the colours change and text becomes clearer.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not yet tested all of the features. As of today none of the changes much affect me except that I love being able to see past threads, and I like the new color scheme. I also think that the change has generated new interest from old members.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Where is the View Unread Posts option for threads I am following?
Is this what you're looking for?

1678229332640.png

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No. When I see the list of threads I am watching there used to be an option to go to the first unread post in the thread.
If you click on watched threads, when you click on a thread itself, it will go to the first unread post.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've noticed that it does not automatically log me out after being inactive. I'll have to get used to doing that, rather than looking like I'm on here 24/7.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You have the option to use the Xenforo default style under preferences, but that's way too much blue...even for me.
The blue is cool. It's cool with both light and dark themes.
The orange is a good choice for both themes also.
Well, at least to me. Everyone sees differently.