• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Measure Compassion?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Other social animals besides humans display empathy and compassion. Clearly they must be reading their bibles if they've managed to receive such traits delivered directly from the stratosphere.
Indeed, one need only observe animals in the wild for instances where a female takes an infant, other than her own, under her care.

*Note: This statement is not intended to give harm to non-binary individuals.*

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I feel for you that you are not feeling well. Hope you get better soon.
I don't see it as coming from any god, but I do see it as a natural component of our type of consciousness. It's a personality trait.
As a personality trait, you have just transferred one unmeasurable concept into another. Being unmeasurable, do they exist in our dimension?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Other social animals besides humans display empathy and compassion. Clearly they must be reading their bibles if they've managed to receive such traits delivered directly from the stratosphere.
That other animals show this may only be a construct from our own experience. On the other hand, this is irrelevant to the op.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That's true. So if they do not exist in the four known dimensions then where do they originate? More important, why do we experience them?

fad4b6d50abd2c71e5c1a7a71daafba5.png

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Indeed, one need only observe animals in the wild for instances where a female takes an infant, other than her own, under her care.

*Note: This statement is not intended to give harm to non-binary individuals.*
This could also just be an anthropomorphic attribute that is only the result of a long string of causes and effects. If true then any action, compassionate or uncompassioate, is nothing more than the inevitable result what came before.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A skillful person lacking all compassion builds war, and fortresses against those whom doesn't serve their purposes.

A skillful person full of compassion builds a defense for love and propagates well being.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This could also just be an anthropomorphic attribute that is only the result of a long string of causes and effects. If true then any action, compassionate or uncompassioate, is nothing more than the inevitable result what came before.
Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about