• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Measure Compassion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We live and percieve a world of dimensions; length, width, height and time. All these things are measurable.

My question is, how do you measure compassion? Does it exist if it isn't measurable?

Are feelings measurable? It's all subjective. You feel something and weigh yourself how important it is to deal with what you feel.

We live and percieve a world of dimensions; length, width, height and time. All these things are measurable.

My question is, how do you measure compassion? Does it exist if it isn't measurable?

It can't be measured. Ether you have it or you don't. If you don't I suggest you try to gain it or imitate it unless you draw God's wrath.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It exists as an electrochemical reaction in your brain. I suppose that could be measured...
Ok now, it let's say I get this sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortune of others by watching an event on television and you get it by volunteering at a hospital. Compassion being nothing more than a defined set of chemical reactions, this means my compassion and yours are the same. Could I increase my compassion by watching my video over and over again?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ok now, it let's say I get this sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortune of others by watching an event on television and you get it by volunteering at a hospital. Compassion being nothing more than a defined set of chemical reactions, this means my compassion and yours are the same. Could I increase my compassion by watching my video over and over again?

I don't know specifically for you but it does look like there is a possibility of being able to measure compassion.

In sum, the Vagus nerve appears to be intimately tied to experiencing compassion towards other people’s suffering, providing more evidence for Porges’s PolyVagal theory. More specifically, these studies show that what happens in your Vagus affects whether or not you can handle the feelings provoked by another person’s suffering—and whether or not you’ll feel concerned and motivated to help.

Measuring Compassion in the Body

dfnj

The problem with compassion is sometimes it takes effort. And sometimes people are not able to make an effort to have compassion. So I think it's important not to judge people too harshly for just being what they are capable of being.

The other problem with measuring compassion is men have a natural tendencies to be able to cut themselves off from all emotions of empathy and compassion. Once the testosterone kicks in men no longer feel pain. Men no longer feel anything. Although this drives women insane, it's just the way men are. A man can get punched right in the face really hard and not even feel it. I think it's some kind of genetic survival mechanism. I don't think women appreciate the nature of how men are sometimes completely cutoff from all emotions. But with a little of awareness and self-reflection most men learn how to access emotions without being crippled by them.

I think compassion can be measured. In any interaction or relationship with someone if by your actions you are able to increase the other person's enthusiasm for participating in God's creation then you have succeeded in having compassion. You've increased the other person's passion for living.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I don't know specifically for you but it does look like there is a possibility of being able to measure compassion.

In sum, the Vagus nerve appears to be intimately tied to experiencing compassion towards other people’s suffering, providing more evidence for Porges’s PolyVagal theory. More specifically, these studies show that what happens in your Vagus affects whether or not you can handle the feelings provoked by another person’s suffering—and whether or not you’ll feel concerned and motivated to help.

Measuring Compassion in the Body
So compassion boils down to good genetics?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"Compassion" is sorta like a "fart". You know it's there even if ya can't measure it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So compassion boils down to good genetics?

Genetics is part of it. It's still a question between how much nature vs nurture affects your emotional makeup.

Compassion is seen as a survival trait. Societies which possess more compassion tend to survive better so the genetics for compassion is more likely to be passed on.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Genetics, then, exists in a 4 dimensional universe yet there is something more; extra 4 dimensional that guides compassion.

Which I assume is handled by the 95% of the brain we don't have conscious access to.

I could be wrong but this explanation doesn't require a belief in anything supernatural.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Which I assume is handled by the 95% of the brain we don't have conscious access to.

I could be wrong but this explanation doesn't require a belief in anything supernatural.
Supernatural is an old term. It's well accepted that we live in a more dimensional universe than 4.

74x12

God maybe measures by drops. As in drops of sweat, tears and blood. If someone sweats(they work) for you then you know they have compassion. If someone cries for you then you know they really care. If someone bleeds for you then what more proof do you need of their compassion?