• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know the Bible is the word of God?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The Spirit is alive inside me. He communicates with me spiritually. I know He is there, there is no doubt in my mind about it.
You are like a politician, dodging my question. How do you know that the Spirit actually can do this? Are you just taking the spirit's word for it, or are you basing this on some kind of outside evidence?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Okay, present your argument that the Bible is circular logic and I'll show you how it isn't considering what you believe.
I never said that the Bible is circular reasoning. Saying that the Bible is accurate because the Bible claims itself to be the Word of God (a.k.a. accurate) is circular reasoning, as you are assuming your conclusion in your premise. In other words, you would be saying that the Bible is accurate because it says that it is accurate.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well, logic doesn't assume a deity does or does not exist so it is one's approach to logic that differs from others. If you approach logic without the possibility of deity it is going to affect your logic as opposed to one who does approach it with the possibility of deity in mind.

Wrong. It's still circular logic. If I said "I'm god's messenger, god speaks though me, and god says I'm his messenger." Because you believe in god, you must also believe my claim, right? After all, I'm using the exact same logic that you are with the bible. And just because someone doesn't believe in the bible doesn't necessarily mean that they don't believe in god, either. Think about all of the religions besides Judaism and Christianity who believe in god yet reject your bible. So yes, your argument is circular and fallacious. It gets irritating having to explain all of these points countless times, over and over.

DavidFirth

I never said that the Bible is circular reasoning. Saying that the Bible is accurate because the Bible claims itself to be the Word of God (a.k.a. accurate) is circular reasoning, as you are assuming your conclusion in your premise. In other words, you would be saying that the Bible is accurate because it says that it is accurate.

Well said. Those of us who believe in God believe He chose certain men to author the Bible, therefore the Bible is not circular reasoning. If a person is convinced that no god exists then he naturally concludes the Bible must be circular reasoning.

DavidFirth

You are like a politician, dodging my question. How do you know that the Spirit actually can do this? Are you just taking the spirit's word for it, or are you basing this on some kind of outside evidence?

I just told you. I am unable to elaborate anymore than that. You will either believe me or you will not.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
lack of faith results in wrong thinking and failure to understand.

Faith results in wrong thinking. How ca it not if by that method, one can believe anything at all however wrong it were?

In the end we'll see who's right.

More likely, in the end, we'll see nothing.

The findings of secular archaeology and anthropology are all interpreted based on assumptions

The wisdom of men is built on sand.

The wisdom of man made it possible for you to express that opinion throughout the globe almost instantaneously.

The word of God never changes and is built on solid rock.

The Bible is ossified. That's not a good thing.

although I cannot prove it to you the Spirit confirms the truth to the believer.

What you call the Spirit is what I call a faith based confirmation bias.

DavidFirth

Faith results in wrong thinking. How ca it not if by that method, one can believe anything at all however wrong it were?

More likely, in the end, we'll see nothing.

The wisdom of man made it possible for you to express that opinion throughout the globe almost instantaneously.

The Bible is ossified. That's not a good thing.

What you call the Spirit is what I call a faith based confirmation bias.

Every statement you just made is based on your faith. You certainly cannot even prove one of them as fact, it is simply what you choose to believe. And that's fine.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Well said. Those of us who believe in God believe He chose certain men to author the Bible, therefore the Bible is not circular reasoning. If a person is convinced that no god exists then he naturally concludes the Bible must be circular reasoning.
Again, no one is saying that the Bible is circular reasoning. Regardless of your beliefs, the argument that the Bible is accurate because it claims to be the word of god is fraudulent logic, as it is merely stating that the Bible is accurate because the Bible is accurate. You are assuming your conclusion in your premise.

Baroodi

such discrepancy in a religion guiding book is a clear indication this book is invalidated. God preserves his wholly book as pristine as it was. immuned against all fabrications and distortions. all bibles were written by men, not even by Jesus (God messenger,Peace be uppon him)

Repox

Truth Seeker
So I try to read some of the Bible every day. Today I opened up to
2 Kings 2
23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.

That just seems ridiculous to me. 42 children lose their lives to angry bears for calling somebody bald head. Even if Elisha prayed for that to happen, why would God honor such a disgusting prayer?

I wish that was the only ridiculous verse in scripture, but there are many... I'm really struggling to maintain faith that scripture is the word of God.

I would think God could do a much better job than that, and write a book that doesn't lead so many people to opposite beliefs and interpretation.

What are your reasons for believing the Bible is the word of God?

I'm finding it is a book that simply goes against my conscience.
I think the key to the dilemma is "inspired." Men have been inspired from strong beliefs and, perhaps, spiritual experiences with God. How would you know what this or that author writes is correct or not? What an enormous problem. It comes down to what you think is the correct interpretation. If you have spiritual experiences, it is easier to make choices for what is and what is not close to the "word of God."

proudpagan

I am still waiting for the day when mods allow me to post my 14 questions about christianity . I even have challanged if any christian could give logical answer I had convert to Christianity .

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I think this God doesn't have the addiction of slaughtering innocents, we do. However God could do it to make a point and we can't really blame him. God is not the one with the addiction. Also, God may have an important reason in showing that he works through prophets. If God doesn't make sure prophets are respected then that would take away a major option for God from the table.