• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know that your holy scriptures are from God?!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This question is of course for those who believe that their holy books are the word of God.

Is there a way to know if any holy book is really the word of God or not? How?

And of course, others might join the discussuin as well, but i didn't want for someone to come and say that their holy books are not from God, got my point? ;)

So? Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm sorry if this have been discussed somwhere else before, but i just really want to know.

Thanks in advance. :)

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
This question is of course for those who believe that their holy books are the word of God.

Is there a way to know if any holy book is really the word of God or not? How?

And of course, others might join the discussuin as well, but i didn't want for someone to come and say that their holy books are not from God, got my point? ;)

So? Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm sorry if this have been discussed somwhere else before, but i just really want to know.

Thanks in advance. :)

The Holy Spirit is the confirmation for the Christian

Scott1

The Christian faith came to be before our written Scripture...... so my faith that it is the inspired word of God comes from faith in the early Church.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Holy Spirit is the confirmation for the Christian

I think--and correct if i'm mistaken--when christians mention the holy spirit, so they will obviously refer to one thing, but i saw many times that many Christians had different experiences with the holy spirit and they have got different answers, so what to do in this case?

Whom do you supposed to follow, and why?

In case you will follow the holy spirit within you but not others, then why other have different feelings and answers from the holy spirit?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Christian faith came to be before our written Scripture...... so my faith that it is the inspired word of God comes from faith in the early Church.

Yeah, when i discuss that with Catholics, they usually feel the way you do. You all depend in the church more than the scriptures itself, because the church can't err, but the scriptures does?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
My Grimoire is a result of personal study and meditation, and largely comes from influences that have been called the Holy Spirit, the Muses, Awen, etc. And certain of my ideas debate that God is a reflection of myself; that I am a piece of the Universe--Reality, God--observing itself.

So I know that my Grimoire--holy in its personality and meaning--is from God in some sense of the word.

Scott1

Yeah, when i discuss that with Catholics, they usually feel the way you do.
That's kinda the way we roll.... :D
You all depend in the church more than the scriptures itself, because the church can't err, but the scriptures does?
Not even close.

The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures."

Super Universe

Defender of God
You spend too much time worrying about the source for information. Who cares where it came from?

If it didn't come from God is it all of a sudden less worthy?

Use your own mind to determine whether anything written is something you should adopt or not.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You spend too much time worrying about the source for information. Who cares where it came from?

I do, as many people around the world whom their lives and beliefs, and visions for this life is based on the scriptures and what it teaches.

If it didn't come from God is it all of a sudden less worthy?

That wasn't my point. My topic is so specific and we can't compare between the word of human beings and the word of God in here.

Use your own mind to determine whether anything written is something you should adopt or not.

I disagree; for if we became sure that a specific scripture is from God, then we have to trust it, because we trust God, but if you don't believe in God in the first place, that's another story. ;)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not even close.

The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures."

Thanks for the quote. Now tell me, how does the church deal with some misinterpretations in the bible which was highlited by some trustworthy christian scholars. Also, why the bible keep changing from time to another or get modified and improved if it was as a whole, the word of God?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My Grimoire is a result of personal study and meditation, and largely comes from influences that have been called the Holy Spirit, the Muses, Awen, etc. And certain of my ideas debate that God is a reflection of myself; that I am a piece of the Universe--Reality, God--observing itself.

So I know that my Grimoire--holy in its personality and meaning--is from God in some sense of the word.

Do you consider all what yourself tells you as an inspiration? Or there is special moments which one can distinguish real inspiration from other normal thoughts!

Scott1

Thanks for the quote. Now tell me, how does the church deal with some misinterpretations in the bible which was highlited by some trustworthy christian scholars.
You're welcome... have another:

"...[T]he Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living..."
Also, why the bible keep changing from time to another or get modified and improved if it was as a whole, the word of God?
Since I know you appreciate quotes from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, how bout one more:

The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ." Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Do you consider all what yourself tells you as an inspiration? Or there is special moments which one can distinguish real inspiration from other normal thoughts!

Everything I believe goes through transitions and adaptations as new information is assimilated. Though, there are those moments of epiphany when it seems that everything clicks together and there may be--may be--an outside force working through me.

It's like when I come up with the perfect lyrics to a song I've been working on forever right out of the blue.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

>How do you know your scriptures are from God?

I'm a Baha'i, and my answer is this:

As a result of extensive prayer, reading, study, investigation, evaluation, and observation.

Since buttressed by over 36 years as a member of the Baha'i Faith during which I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret my decision!

Best, :)

Bruce

Super Universe

Defender of God
You are responsible for what you believe, not your priest, not your mullah, and not any book.

The bible was written by men who lived 4,000 years ago. These men didn't know what caused the ground to shake, they didn't know what caused the wind to blow and firey meteors to fall from the sky. They were nothing more than ignorant tribal holy men trying to interpret the unknown. They blamed every unknown thing on God being angry but God has never been angry.

It's your choice. Believe what you will for only you are responsible for it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I basically agree with Scott on this one. The Bible was created by the people of God -- God's Body on earth. In that sense it can be said to be created by God -- but only through human agency, which, as we all know, is not perfect.

love

tri-polar optimist
I disagree; for if we became sure that a specific scripture is from God, then we have to trust it, because we trust God, but if you don't believe in God in the first place, that's another story.
Truth, I believe that sums it up for me.
When I look at past history and current events the word "religion" can bring up some pretty ugly images. I believe that faith in a loving God is the only thing helping me to hold it together. If I look at the ugliness of the world and put my faith in men to one day correct it I would be without hope.
I believe it is through faith that we reach God and through faith that we reach out to others. The message of Christ is quite clear in my heart and the differences in translations or punctuation or attempts to change it or discredit it have not watered it down in the least for me. The message is too simple. I see no reason to complicate it as men have tried to do.
wink.gif

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
They're all written on paper, paper comes from trees, and trees come from God.

As does the hand that writes them and the eye that reads them.

Everything comes from God, but I think He leaves it up to us as to whether or not we can use these things to come back to Him.