• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know that your holy scriptures are from God?!

Mr. Peanut

If self fulfilling prophecies are enough for you, then by all means, go with it.
But to make the claim that the Bible foretold the future is just plain being dishonest.
I can make the exact same claim about modern day horoscopes and be just as correct.
Hi! Forgive me for seeming in any way dishonest. It is just my own personal beliefs, but most of the Bible is prophecy foretold. For example, Jesus said Jerusalem would be surrounded and attacked and the temple destroyed and the Jews scattered, and they were, in 70 A.D. in actual history:

For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Cheers!

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Hi! Forgive me for seeming in any way dishonest. It is just my own personal beliefs, but most of the Bible is prophecy foretold. For example, Jesus said Jerusalem would be surrounded and attacked and the temple destroyed and the Jews scattered, and they were, in 70 A.D. in actual history:

For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Cheers!
And your evidence for this OUTSIDE of the Book that foretold it is?
And then you will needs show how it is not a self fulfilling prophecy.

Smoke

Done here.
Hi! I think some religious books contain false statements and must be compared and evaluated. One thing different about the Bible is all the prophecies. No other book dares tell the future, as it says:

And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.
Plenty of people have dared to foretell the future, and the Bible, like the prophecies of Nostradamus, can sometimes be construed as having got it right, but often, like Jeane Dixon, unmistakably got it wrong.

Edgar Cayce predicted that parts of Atlantis would rise from the sea in 1968 or 1969. Most people would just admit he was wrong, but if we treated Edgar Cayce the way Christians treat the Bible, we'd say that the discovery of the Bimini Road fulfilled the prophecy, even though it didn't rise; or that Atlantis did rise, but in a spiritual sense; or that Edgar meant to signify, in a symbolic way, the 8th or 9th of June, 2019. I'm afraid it wouldn't impress anybody but a true believer.

Mr. Peanut

And your evidence for this OUTSIDE of the Book that foretold it is?
And then you will needs show how it is not a self fulfilling prophecy.
Hi! I gotta run, but the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple and the dispersion of the Jews did take place outside the Bible in real history. Daniel predicts all this with deadly accuracy, too.

Cheers!

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Hi! I gotta run, but the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple and the dispersion of the Jews did take place outside the Bible in real history. Daniel predicts all this with deadly accuracy, too.

Cheers!
And you still present nothing but your word.
No offense, but your word is not good enough for me.
I am not in your choir, so I will needs for you to present the evidence of it actually happening OUTSIDE the book that predicted it.
If you have no such evidence, then you are merely practicing circular reasoning.
And any deity that relies upon logic fallacies is a deity I want nothing to do with.

We will not worry about the self fulfilling prophecy part till after you can show evidence of it actually happening.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Cheers!

Making prophetic predictions of past events is quite easy; do you have any reason to assert that the passage in question was even written before AD 70?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hi! I think some religious books contain false statements and must be compared and evaluated. One thing different about the Bible is all the prophecies. No other book dares tell the future, as it says:

And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Cheers!

Really? Visited Tyre?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Cheers!

Well of course, it wasn't written until after that happened, so that wasn't really hard to do.