• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know that your holy scriptures are from God?!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're welcome... have another:

"...[T]he Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living..."

I see, so the bible is not as important as Jesus. Thanks. :)

Since I know you appreciate quotes from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, how bout one more:

The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ." Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

When this quote state that it's full meaning is till open for interpretation nd new understanding, does that mean you can edit the bible or improve it in any way?

I basically agree with Scott on this one. The Bible was created by the people of God -- God's Body on earth. In that sense it can be said to be created by God -- but only through human agency, which, as we all know, is not perfect.

Don't you think that this might imply that God is not perfect?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everything I believe goes through transitions and adaptations as new information is assimilated. Though, there are those moments of epiphany when it seems that everything clicks together and there may be--may be--an outside force working through me.

It's like when I come up with the perfect lyrics to a song I've been working on forever right out of the blue.

Can i call it inner feelings about something you usually seek within yourself and in the universe as a whole?

Greetings!

>How do you know your scriptures are from God?

I'm a Baha'i, and my answer is this:

As a result of extensive prayer, reading, study, investigation, evaluation, and observation.

Since buttressed by over 36 years as a member of the Baha'i Faith during which I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret my decision!

Best, :)

Bruce

Did you study all religions, or only your current faith?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are responsible for what you believe, not your priest, not your mullah, and not any book.

Most definitely. :)

The bible was written by men who lived 4,000 years ago. These men didn't know what caused the ground to shake, they didn't know what caused the wind to blow and firey meteors to fall from the sky.

Why they have to know these stuff?

They were nothing more than ignorant tribal holy men trying to interpret the unknown. They blamed every unknown thing on God being angry but God has never been angry.

How do you know that for sure?

It's your choice. Believe what you will for only you are responsible for it.

To believe in anything?!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Truth, I believe that sums it up for me.
When I look at past history and current events the word "religion" can bring up some pretty ugly images. I believe that faith in a loving God is the only thing helping me to hold it together. If I look at the ugliness of the world and put my faith in men to one day correct it I would be without hope.
I believe it is through faith that we reach God and through faith that we reach out to others. The message of Christ is quite clear in my heart and the differences in translations or punctuation or attempts to change it or discredit it have not watered it down in the least for me. The message is too simple. I see no reason to complicate it as men have tried to do.
wink.gif

Do you think you would feel the way you do if there was nothing like the Bible or Scriptures ever existed?

Would you know who Jesus really was if people didn't tell you about it "based on the bible"?

Do you think it's wise to take the part we want from any holy book and throw the rest which might conflict with our views about the author of that holy book or the one some men ascribe these holy books to?

They're all written on paper, paper comes from trees, and trees come from God.

As does the hand that writes them and the eye that reads them.

Everything comes from God, but I think He leaves it up to us as to whether or not we can use these things to come back to Him.

Do you think God would cause men to write different things to different people?

Or God said something universla but human beings interpret it on their own way?

Scott1

I see, so the bible is not as important as Jesus. Thanks. :)
Quite welcome... you have to understand that for more than 1500 years before the protestants broke away from us, that it was understood in this context: "Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely." .... meaning Jesus Christ.
When this quote state that it's full meaning is till open for interpretation nd new understanding, does that mean you can edit the bible or improve it in any way?
No... the Bible is complete... but our UNDERSTANDING of what is contained in Scripture develops over time.

Hope this helps,
S

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quite welcome... you have to understand that for more than 1500 years before the protestants broke away from us, that it was understood in this context: "Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely." .... meaning Jesus Christ.

No... the Bible is complete... but our UNDERSTANDING of what is contained in Scripture develops over time.

Hope this helps,
S

What about the things that have been edited in the bible, and the books that have been abandoned?

Scott1

What about the things that have been edited in the bible, and the books that have been abandoned?
I know it's hard... but you've really gotta try to remember that the orthodox Christian faith does not look to the Bible as the sole source of truth..... my Church decided what books went into the Bible and is the authority on what the texts means... that has not changed in 2,000 years.... not sure what you are trying to ask.

w00t

I think it is a fair assumption to make that what has been written by man has nothing to do with God!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My Christian friends argue that the writers of the bible might act as God's tool when writing these books, but that doesn't mean, IMHO that it's the word of God!

Scott1

My Christian friends argue that the writers of the bible might act as God's tool when writing these books, but that doesn't mean, IMHO that it's the word of God!
I get ya.... but wanted to add one thing about scripture in general.... the contention that any particular work is the actually the word of God is important and all, but I think everyone needs to remember that a BOOK CAN NOT TEACH. It is human understanding of a particular text that is much more relevant ---- God can write a book, a play, a song, a cartoon, whatever.... but if a human being does not understand the meaning it does not really matter who/what wrote it.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think God would cause men to write different things to different people?

Or God said something universla but human beings interpret it on their own way?

Well, like I say I thiink God can use anything. God being infinite, the ways He expresses Himself through each of us and our realities would also be infinite.

At the same time I think it's a Universal; there is only one truth, but it's manifestations and ways of expressioning itself are infinite.

I think the true Word (for lack of a better word :p) of God is something inside ourselves that recognizes truth in all other things.

~Amin~

God is the King
Is there a way to know if any holy book is really the word of God or not? How?
:)
Yes there is it Must fundamentally describe God without
attributing to Him any qualities of the creation,
it Must be tolerent to other faiths,
it Must not be racist, it Has to be intact the
way it was revealed, it Must provide solutions to all
human problems, it must provide safety and security to man,
it Must be concistant with previous prophets, its gotta give
comfort and satisfaction to the human heart, there cannot be any contradictions.

love

tri-polar optimist
Do you think you would feel the way you do if there was nothing like the Bible or Scriptures ever existed?
I don't believe I would recognize the world I would be in if the bible did not exist.

Would you know who Jesus really was if people didn't tell you about it "based on the bible"?

Can the roar of the sea or the thunder of the heavens be silenced?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Yeah, when i discuss that with Catholics, they usually feel the way you do. You all depend in the church more than the scriptures itself, because the church can't err, but the scriptures does?

The problem is that those outside faith and relationship with Christ ,don;t understand or comprehend the work of the Holy Spirit in Christianity. The Holy SPIRIT is instrumental not only in the writing of scriptures ,the life ,death and resurrection of Jesus ,but the spriutual conversion and creation among other things.

Jhn 14:17[Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
According to scripture and personal expereince,one can't possibly even begin to give insight into God ,Jesus or Christianity accurately if one has not been born from God through the Holy Spirit.
hn 16:13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Jhn 1:13But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

John who walked with Jesus declares how to tell what is truth and error
1Jo 4:6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Scott1

The Holy SPIRIT is instrumental not only in the writing of scriptures ,the life ,death and resurrection of Jesus ,but the spriutual conversion and creation among other things.
AMEN AND AMEN!

Wooo Hoooo ! Watch out when we all start to agree! Glory to God!

BruceDLimber

Did you study all religions, or only your current faith?

I've studied many religions (though I wouldn't presume to say "all")!

BTW, as to the original question, "How do you know your religion is from God?"
I might add that the Baha'i scriptures specifically state:

"Faith is conscious knowledge!"

Best, :)

Bruce

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You spend too much time worrying about the source for information. Who cares where it came from?
usually who told you something helps you figure out whether it's true or not.

If it didn't come from God is it all of a sudden less worthy?
Less likely to be true.

Use your own mind to determine whether anything written is something you should adopt or not.
Thanks, did that, decided against.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
what does that mean? Why would it be any different for a Christian than anyone else?
According to scripture,the Holy Spirit will come and convict a man of sin, which means missing God's mark , of righteousness,because man's self righteousness is but filthy rags in his sight and of Judgement because he has appointed a day in which he will judge man according to his standard of righteousness, not man's
Jhn 16:7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
And when he is come, he will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
There is only one way to God according to scripture, that is through Jesus Christ
God does not give his Holy Spirit to just anyone ,although he draws all men to himself through the power of the Holy Spirit, one must beleive and recieve his substitutionary covering of sin or atonement.in oder to receive this gift of the Holy Spirit
Man does not arrogantly say,I will go to God" but they can only do so if the spirit of God draws him
Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Jhn 6:65And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

The Holy Ghost is for everyone ,who beleives in ,that means trusts in ,relies on ,has confidence in Jesus Christ as the Son Of God and Savior of this world.
Jhn 14:26But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

When a man receives the Holy Spirit ,he comes to dwell in and with the beleiver, 2 very different things yet part of the same package, but the world knows him not because they can't see him and therefore can't know him until they first receive Christ
Jhn 14:16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
[Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

A man knows when the Holy Spirit begins to dwell in him ,but this is the key the world can't and / or won't grasp until they receive Christ
Rom 8:9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

You see, recieving the Holy Spirit does not come about by mere intellectual accent or by just saying, I beleive in Jesus ,for the bible says even the devil beleives and shutters,you must receive Christ as Lord and then the Holy Spirit seals you and you receive that assurance that you are born of God, it is a supernatural spiritual birth from God and not some mystical form of impersonal spiritualism.
Because their are spirits out there that are certainly not from God and in 1 John he tells how to discern the spirit of truth and the spirit of error
Eph 1:13In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

That power and presence of God in a born again ,that is born from above beleiver is the Holy Spirit's work
Jhn 3:3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Jhn 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.